The Student Room Group

Why don't people bet on both sides?

I was just viewing on McGregor vs Mayweather and for McGregor it was 100/1 and Mayweather kt was 25/1 so if you bet £10 on each side wouldn't you be guaranteed a profit? I don't personally gamble but i just saw the odds 😂
Reply 1
That can't be right because Mayweather winning wouldn't be 25/1 because he's the (overwhelming) favourite.
Reply 2
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fantasy-sports/betting/mayweather-mcgregor-betting/

It says its as a sign up bonus but why the hell would they make it such high? Because if you did either bet on Connor and he wins you basically won and if you bet on Floyd you have basically won again. Although you have to bet evenly for both or you may be able to bet a little higher to connor. Is this against tos?
Reply 3
Original post by B_9710
That can't be right because Mayweather winning wouldn't be 25/1 because he's the (overwhelming) favourite.

I saw this link lol😂 I couldn't believe it either.
Reply 4
Original post by 10equals2
Mayweather is 1/4 on according to Odds Checker... where did you magic up those odds?

I don't know much about gambling but thats what i saw on the article and was utterly confused as anyone who saw that could make a lotttt of money but betting evenly on both sides.
Reply 5
Okay well they are great odds but most people who bet will have an account already, or bet in branch and not want one.

Also, if you look at the T&Cs, the 100/1 odds are paid in free bets, not cash returns. They won't give money away.

I am not sure what that means but I assume they just give you that as basically credit to bet for next which you totally could and would very likely have a high chance of earning a lot. I'm not a gambling person but those odds just threw me off lol
Reply 6
No, you would more certainly not "very likely have a chance of earning a lot." Very few people make any money from gambling - the key is in the word.

They 'pay' you in free bets, which means YOU have made a deposit of cash (£5 minimum) which they now own. You might 'win' but unless you make a winning bet after placing a bet from your 'free bet', then guess who wins...

I am so lost sorry 😂😂😂
Okay so they pay you in free bets. But then do you have to make another deposit to use those free bets or what? 😅😂🤣
its a free bet

you just arent allowed to cash it out
not unless you match your free bet on another site - guaranteed profit :wink:

No, you don't. You're missing the point. All you have won is the chance to bet again; most people will lose that bet, so they lose nothing.

Why gamble to win another gamble? Just bet at lower odds which offer a cash return.
Come on now - there's no guaranteed profit when it comes to betting. The amount of 'dead certs' which have failed me is amazing haha.

Seriously, matched betting is guaranteed money.
Come on now - there's no guaranteed profit when it comes to betting. The amount of 'dead certs' which have failed me is amazing haha.

but you cant have fault with that logic:

you have a £20 free bet

For the sake of the argument imagine there is a 50/50 chance of either McGregor or Mayweather winning i.e. equal odds

So you bet on Mcgregor with your free bet and bet on Mayweather on another site but with £20 real cash.

Hence whatever the outcome - you come out with a profit. Mathematically there is no flaw to it.
Reply 11
Original post by angelike1
but you cant have fault with that logic:

you have a £20 free bet

For the sake of the argument imagine there is a 50/50 chance of either McGregor or Mayweather winning i.e. equal odds

So you bet on Mcgregor with your free bet and bet on Mayweather on another site but with £20 real cash.

Hence whatever the outcome - you come out with a profit. Mathematically there is no flaw to it.

It's a whole concept called Matched Betting! Theres odds to back and odds to lay, laying is betting on the opposite of the backing bet. Theres websites out there which search through tons of betting sites getting their odds and it compares them and rates them based on the difference since you can make a larger profit, they also have calculators telling you have much profit you can make and how much to back/lay to maximise profits... Oddsmonkey is the best one.

People usually start out doing it to take advantage of free bets, once you get a good amount of capital you can start going in big taking advantage of odd gaps - provided you dont make a mistake it's guaranteed profits. Some people even make a living out of it
Original post by Zxyn
It's a whole concept called Matched Betting! Theres odds to back and odds to lay, laying is betting on the opposite of the backing bet. Theres websites out there which search through tons of betting sites getting their odds and it compares them and rates them based on the difference since you can make a larger profit, they also have calculators telling you have much profit you can make and how much to back/lay to maximise profits... Oddsmonkey is the best one.

People usually start out doing it to take advantage of free bets, once you get a good amount of capital you can start going in big taking advantage of odd gaps - provided you dont make a mistake it's guaranteed profits. Some people even make a living out of it

I know :lol:

I've done it.
Damn I didn't realise you could do any of that. 😂

Quick Reply

Latest