The Student Room Group

A level choices

So I need to decide on what A levels i'm picking, like very soon, and I don't know what to pick. I'm very indecisive so I change my mind a lot. In the beginning I was interested in: English Language, English Literature, Psychology, Drama, Art, BTEC Buisness and A level Buisness. I narrowed it down to English Language, Psychology, Buisness and Drama. I thought literature was too history based, I don't like history and I want too keen on old-fashioned novel. However I know it is a facilitating subject that looks good to Uni's and I do love plays and I find poetry interesting sometimes. Art I felt was more a hobby and I would just find it too stressful as an A Level. As for Buisness I didn't think a BTEC in Buisness would hold enough ground.

Now I am stuck between these four. I am not allowed to pick four, only three. I've been told English is always a good subject to have as you never know when you'll need it-writing a letter and I found the taster session to be very interesting and different as it was about dialect, accents etc. I was also told it opens a lot of doors. However I don't just want to take it for the sake of it because I think I "may need it", because if that was the case it would be a compulsory A Level. However I do like writing and I may want to write a book(s) when I am older and I thought it may help and just with my vocabulary and grammar in general.

As for Buisness I didn't take it at GCSE so theoretically I'd be going into this subject "blind" but I would be with Psychology and drama. I was told it isn't a big deal for Buisness but I would need to catch up on some information and I wouldn't want to feel like I was doing a 3 year course which is suppose to be a 2 year course. However I was thinking I might was to start a small Buisness when I'm older but you don't need a Buisness qualification to start a Buisness or do Business in Uni. I did a taster session it wasn't great but it wasn't the worst, at other times it was interesting at other times not.

Psychology I know is about the mind so I thought that was interesting. However I did triple science at GCSE and hated it and found it challenging also I'm not a fan of science and I heard Psychology is actually a science so I'm confused if it is or not.

As for Drama I did not take it at GCSE which I worry about as I may not know certain things, so again going in "blind". But I did productions at my school, I really enjoyed them and I got a main part for one. I know a job is not secure after study which is risky-so the A Level could be a waste and I don't think my family would really be supportive if I took this, they would constantly point out the negatives. However I can see them too. I've always wanted to be a famous actress from when I was younger but I don't know whether it's "just a dream, wishful thinking" as I watched a lot of tv shows and films and I've mentioned I do change my mind a lot so I could take it a realise I actually hate it. If anyone has taken any other these subjects any information, advice or opinions about these subject if you could please share that would be great. Or if you have a career based around one of these subjects and the process because I really need all the advice I can get and I would greatly appreciate it . Thank you!!! :smile:
So should I take drama in exchange for another subject?
Are English, Buisness and psychology a good combo?
What are these subjects like st A Level?
(edited 6 years ago)
Put some paragraphs in. People wont read it especially at 2am.
Original post by LikeableLlama:)
So I need to decide on what A levels i'm picking, like very soon, and I don't know what to pick. I'm very indecisive so I change my mind a lot. In the beginning I was interested in: English Language, English Literature, Psychology, Drama, Art, BTEC Buisness and A level Buisness. I narrowed it down to English Language, Psychology, Buisness and Drama. I thought literature was too history based, I don't like history and I want too keen on old-fashioned novel. However I know it is a facilitating subject that looks good to Uni's and I do love plays and I find poetry interesting sometimes. Art I felt was more a hobby and I would just find it too stressful as an A Level. As for Buisness I didn't think a BTEC in Buisness would hold enough ground. Now I am stuck between these four. I am not allowed to pick four, only three. I've been told English is always a good subject to have as you never know when you'll need it-writing a letter and I found the taster session to be very interesting and different as it was about dialect, accents etc. I was also told it opens a lot of doors. However I don't just want to take it for the sake of it because I think I "may need it", because if that was the case it would be a compulsory A Level. However I do like writing and I may want to write a book(s) when I am older and I thought it may help and just with my vocabulary and grammar in general. As for Buisness I didn't take it at GCSE so theoretically I'd be going into this subject "blind" but I would be with Psychology and drama. I was told it isn't a big deal for Buisness but I would need to catch up on some information and I wouldn't want to feel like I was doing a 3 year course which is suppose to be a 2 year course. However I was thinking I might was to start a small Buisness when I'm older but you don't need a Buisness qualification to start a Buisness or do Business in Uni. I did a taster session it wasn't great but it wasn't the worst, at other times it was interesting at other times not. Psychology I know is about the mind so I thought that was interesting. However I did triple science at GCSE and hated it and found it challenging also I'm not a fan of science and I heard Psychology is actually a science so I'm confused if it is or not. As for Drama I did not take it at GCSE which I worry about as I may not know certain things, so again going in "blind". But I did productions at my school, I really enjoyed them and I got a main part for one. I know a job is not secure after study which is risky-so the A Level could be a waste and I don't think my family would really be supportive if I took this, they would constantly point out the negatives. However I can see them too. I've always wanted to be a famous actress from when I was younger but I don't know whether it's "just a dream, wishful thinking" as I watched a lot of tv shows and films and I've mentioned I do change my mind a lot so I could take it a realise I actually hate it. If anyone has taken any other these subjects any information, advice or opinions about these subject if you could please share that would be great. Or if you have a career based around one of these subjects and the process because I really need all the advice I can get and I would greatly appreciate it . Thank you!!! :smile:

Put some paragraphs in please. People wont read a wall of text, too much.
Original post by 999tigger
Put some paragraphs in. People wont read it especially at 2am.

Thank you for telling me. Sorry I was very stressed out I didn't think about that apologies!
Original post by LikeableLlama:)
Thank you for telling me. Sorry I was very stressed out I didn't think about that apologies!

Try and put some clear questions in at the end and then you will get specific answers.
Most people do A level psychology blind, it's not a widely offered GCSE, so you should be fine there. I did the old spec, but as an a level it is very full on in terms of content and workload (it's not really hard but there's a lot to learn)
English literature is very history based in terms of the context you have to learn. However you say you like poetry , which is a massively part of the A level. There are usually novels you had to read, but I just read the synopsis, learnt quotes and got an A. You don't HAVE to read per say. (Very reccomended though) also it's a traditional and facilitating subject which may come in handy in the future.

I cant say much for drama and business - other than I've heard of a lot of people going in to A level business blind, but never heard of something doing Drama A level without some form of GCSE or BTEC (at my sixth anyway)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
I start sixth form in September so I don't have experience with any of the subjects, but I'm sort of in the same situation! Kinda... Not really, but there's some parts I relate to. To give the short version, I went from Maths + Computer Science + Physics + Media Studies to Biology + Psychology + English Language. So I've changed my mind a lot too and even now I'm not 100% certain haha

For English Literature, if you think you'd only be interested in a small part rather than the majority of the syllabus, then maybe you're better off doing English Language instead. Plus you're more likely to do creative writing, which you said you enjoy, in English Language than in English Literature (I think - I'm not in Year 12 yet but that's what I've read on some of my potential sixth form's websites.) It might be good to look up the specification for both and also see what literature your sixth form studies in A Level English Literature. Maybe read up on the synopsis of those books / poems / etc and see if it's something that interests you or otherwise and take it from there.

And Psychology is a social science from what I've heard and some uni's are starting to recognize it as a science. It's recommended that you take Biology with it but it's not compulsory. Maybe take a look through some specifications to gain a better idea about the course? I heard that the new spec is quite science-based so if you're not too keen on that I really recommend looking through the spec and confirm if that's true or not, and decide whether it's too much science for you or not.

Oh and also if you don't take Art for an A level, and if you ever decide to go back to it, you can always create an art portfolio and search for opportunities that way. As long as there's a way for you to display your work then that'll open up some more opportunities for you. As long as your work is in one place and you can easily present it to certain people I think that will help with that, even if you don't have an Art A Level, it might be good for a backup or a reserve!

Just to emphasize again, I have no experience with these subjects yet, but I think English, Business, and Psychology are a good combo. I've read that English is a common A Level to take with Psychology too and it really helps with essay writing. I can't comment on Business though since I know literally nothing about it, but I don't see why it would be considered to be a bad combination with those other subjects to be honest. At the end of the day choose the subjects you think you will enjoy, and don't take something you think will "look good" if you have no interest in it at all. :':wink:

Sorry if this wasn't very helpful, I'm just another clueless almost-Year 12 student but good luck with everything!! ^^
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ruby1997
Most people do A level psychology blind, it's not a widely offered GCSE, so you should be fine there. I did the old spec, but as an a level it is very full on in terms of content and workload (it's not really hard but there's a lot to learn)
English literature is very history based in terms of the context you have to learn. However you say you like poetry , which is a massively part of the A level. There are usually novels you had to read, but I just read the synopsis, learnt quotes and got an A. You don't HAVE to read per say. (Very reccomended though) also it's a traditional and facilitating subject which may come in handy in the future.

I cant say much for drama and business - other than I've heard of a lot of people going in to A level business blind, but never heard of something doing Drama A level without some form of GCSE or BTEC (at my sixth anyway)

Thank you for the advice I will take this into account thank you so much!!!!! :smile:
Original post by Kellyyy_
I start sixth form in September so I don't have experience with any of the subjects, but I'm sort of in the same situation! Kinda... Not really, but there's some parts I relate to. To give the short version, I went from Maths + Computer Science + Physics + Media Studies to Biology + Psychology + English Language. So I've changed my mind a lot too and even now I'm not 100% certain haha

For English Literature, if you think you'd only be interested in a small part rather than the majority of the syllabus, then maybe you're better off doing English Language instead. Plus you're more likely to do creative writing, which you said you enjoy, in English Language than in English Literature (I think - I'm not in Year 12 yet but that's what I've read on some of my potential sixth form's websites.) It might be good to look up the specification for both and also see what literature your sixth form studies in A Level English Literature. Maybe read up on the synopsis of those books / poems / etc and see if it's something that interests you or otherwise and take it from there.

And Psychology is a social science from what I've heard and some uni's are starting to recognize it as a science. It's recommended that you take Biology with it but it's not compulsory. Maybe take a look through some specifications to gain a better idea about the course? I heard that the new spec is quite science-based so if you're not too keen on that I really recommend looking through the spec and confirm if that's true or not, and decide whether it's too much science for you or not.

Oh and also if you don't take Art for an A level, and if you ever decide to go back to it, you can always create an art portfolio and search for opportunities that way. As long as there's a way for you to display your work then that'll open up some more opportunities for you. As long as your work is in one place and you can easily present it to certain people I think that will help with that, even if you don't have an Art A Level, it might be good for a backup or a reserve!

Just to emphasize again, I have no experience with these subjects yet, but I think English, Business, and Psychology are a good combo. I've read that English is a common A Level to take with Psychology too and it really helps with essay writing. I can't comment on Business though since I know literally nothing about it, but I don't see why it would be considered to be a bad combination with those other subjects to be honest. At the end of the day choose the subjects you think you will enjoy, and don't take something you think will "look good" if you have no interest in it at all. :':wink:

Sorry if this wasn't very helpful, I'm just another clueless almost-Year 12 student but good luck with everything!! ^^

Thank you so much good luck to you too haha and this is great advice thank you so much greatly appreciated !!!!!
well I've just completed my first year of psychology and it is not all science based. only 2 sections out of the 6 we looked at were science based, I took triple science too and I'm doing other sciences at college so I was dreading it at first but it's not that bad. very content heavy though so if you do take it, be prepared
Original post by Orangeak13
well I've just completed my first year of psychology and it is not all science based. only 2 sections out of the 6 we looked at were science based, I took triple science too and I'm doing other sciences at college so I was dreading it at first but it's not that bad. very content heavy though so if you do take it, be prepared

2/6 sections are - I'd say that's still pretty sciencey if 1/3 of the course has a heavy science element. And 2nd year gets A LOT more sciencey trust me! But you're right about the content - It is very heavy!
Good luck for second year :smile:
Original post by Orangeak13

Okay thank you this is very helpfully know it's very content heavy great advice!
2/6 sections are - I'd say that's still pretty sciencey if 1/3 of the course has a heavy science element. And 2nd year gets A LOT more sciencey trust me! But you're right about the content - It is very heavy!

Thank you I'm not a big fan of science so manybe it's not the subject for me. Again great advice thank you :smile:

heh thanks 😧😧 already doing a summer project on schizophrenia to prepare ourselves for it

Quick Reply

Latest