The Student Room Group

BTEC offered, but worried over university prospects.

My son has a mixed bag of GCSE results - although he scored a B in English, 5 in Math and C in Science, unfortunately he fared poorly in the other options (DT Graphics, French, Geography) and hasn't got the required 5 A*-C. We are really gutted over this as he has worked hard, despite various challenges. The school is now offering him A level in English Language, Math Studies (Math AS) and BTEC in Business Enterprise and Enterpreneurship. Our original choices for A levels were Economics, English Language and Math. They can't even play around these choices and flatly refuse A Levels, except in Language, purely because he doesnt have the golden 5 GCSEs. They think a re evaluation won't help either.
My concern is that this will affect his university prospects as he would like to pursue Business Admin/Management in future. These grades do not reflect his potential and academic aptitude and he is depressed that he's being denied an opportunity to turn things around. He is also bothered by the prospect of his peers making fun of him for doing a BTEC. Is there any way the school can offer him A level options further down the term? If not, can he apply to most universities with this BTEC/A Level combination? Will his GCSE grades come back to haunt him then?
We aren't from the UK, nor very familiar with the system - we can only go by the school's assurances that this is the best option for him. However, we aren't convinced this is the best route. Please offer your comments and advice.
Thank you!
Original post by postgradmom
My son has a mixed bag of GCSE results - although he scored a B in English, 5 in Math and C in Science, unfortunately he fared poorly in the other options (DT Graphics, French, Geography) and hasn't got the required 5 A*-C. We are really gutted over this as he has worked hard, despite various challenges. The school is now offering him A level in English Language, Math Studies (Math AS) and BTEC in Business Enterprise and Enterpreneurship. Our original choices for A levels were Economics, English Language and Math. They can't even play around these choices and flatly refuse A Levels, except in Language, purely because he doesnt have the golden 5 GCSEs. They think a re evaluation won't help either.
My concern is that this will affect his university prospects as he would like to pursue Business Admin/Management in future. These grades do not reflect his potential and academic aptitude and he is depressed that he's being denied an opportunity to turn things around. He is also bothered by the prospect of his peers making fun of him for doing a BTEC. Is there any way the school can offer him A level options further down the term? If not, can he apply to most universities with this BTEC/A Level combination? Will his GCSE grades come back to haunt him then?
We aren't from the UK, nor very familiar with the system - we can only go by the school's assurances that this is the best option for him. However, we aren't convinced this is the best route. Please offer your comments and advice.
Thank you!

Firstly, I'm 19, 2nd year of Uni now, At A2 I finished with 2 a levels a btec subsidiary diploma and I got into a top 20 uni - it's not going to hurt his prospects - I thought during college BTECs were emabressing aswell etc but actually no one ever said anything to me and literally none of my friends cared - maybe he can transfer colleges to another in the area that would allow him to do A-levels whilst studying for his GCSE retake at the same time? that's a potential avenue to go down

And yes quite a few universities do accept the BTEC/A-levels combo. some don't but when I applied a lot if them did - eg. Uni of Sheffield accept mixed profiles for psychology - I'm at the University of Leicester and they accepted it? so there is hope he just has to do the best he can now at A-levels/BTEC finish with Bs or D* and really push himself to show his potential and he's got just a such of a chance as someone else at going to s top uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending