The Student Room Group

Penicillin

t wondering I find it really hard to swallow at the same time so I was I have taken two penicillin and basically it has not kicked in yet and I was just wondering would it be better for me to take paracetamol and not the penicillin.
Original post by Anonymous
t wondering I find it really hard to swallow at the same time so I was I have taken two penicillin and basically it has not kicked in yet and I was just wondering would it be better for me to take paracetamol and not the penicillin.

Pencillin is an antibiotic which you would have been prescribed for a reason so you shouldn't stop taking it without speaking to a doctor, worst case scenario even as an adult you could probably convince your gp to do you a prescription for the suspension instead. Taking tablets is something that takes getting used to but since it's cheaper to take tablets than liquid in lots of things it's better to get used to it than give up.
If you have been prescribed Penicillin it is because you have an infection. Penicillin is an antibiotic, designed to kill the infection. It will only properly start to work when you finish taking the full course of it. If you stop even one or two days before, thinking you feel better, it will return. BY all means take painkillers if need be. But they won't clear up the infection.
Original post by claireestelle
Pencillin is an antibiotic which you would have been prescribed for a reason so you shouldn't stop taking it without speaking to a doctor, worst case scenario even as an adult you could probably convince your gp to do you a prescription for the suspension instead. Taking tablets is something that takes getting used to but since it's cheaper to take tablets than liquid in lots of things it's better to get used to it than give up.

I didn't know tablet form was cheaper than the liquid. I'm allergic to it but my son sometimes needs it for bad sore throats. Although he has never even tried, he is convinced that he won't be able to swallow tablets and so they always have to give him liquid. He's such a child sometimes. Sigh.
Original post by markova21
I didn't know tablet form was cheaper than the liquid. I'm allergic to it but my son sometimes needs it for bad sore throats. Although he has never even tried, he is convinced that he won't be able to swallow tablets and so they always have to give him liquid. He's such a child sometimes. Sigh.

Much cheaper as the tablets are much easier to produce (they can be about £1 a box vs £5+ for a bottle of powder for the suspension) and with the suspension it has to have water added to it which takes much more time to dispense than tablets, also for a weeks course you could be looking at 2 or 3 bottles for an adult.
I haven't taken liquid or soluble medicines in years, when you take an inhaler everyday which doesn't have the best taste tablets are quite easier for me to get down.

Spoiler

Original post by claireestelle
Much cheaper as the tablets are much easier to produce (they can be about £1 a box vs £5+ for a bottle of powder for the suspension) and with the suspension it has to have water added to it which takes much more time to dispense than tablets, also for a weeks course you could be looking at 2 or 3 bottles for an adult.
I haven't taken liquid or soluble medicines in years, when you take an inhaler everyday which doesn't have the best taste tablets are quite easier for me to get down.

Spoiler

PRSOM.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

Penicillin is an antibiotic that works by attacking the bacteria causing an infection. You are unlikely to actually feel any effect from it apart from at the end of the course when the infection is gone. It is important to finish a course of antibiotics because otherwise (to put it in basic terms) the bacteria remaining can learn how to be immune to that antibiotic.

You can take paracetamol with penicillin though.

You could also try taking the penicillin with milk or smoothie to make it easier to swallow. Put some of the drink in your mouth, poke the tablet in, slosh it around a bit and swallow quickly. That way you can't feel the tablet when you swallow and it makes it easier. I also find it dulls the taste of ass most antibiotics tend to have. :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by markova21

I used to be terrible at taking tablets and couldn't even take a tiny little antihistamine.
I ended up needing to take tablets on a regular basis though so I had to learn. I found it much easier taking it with a thicker or fizzy liquid and to put the drink in my mouth before the tablets. After some practice I can now swallow all 6 of my tablets at once with water.
I guess I'm living proof that anybody can learn to swallow tablets and that practice does make perfect.

Just get him to practice swallowing smaller tablets (or tic tacks etc) and he'll get there eventually (and apparently save a bunch of money in the process). :smile:
Original post by Kindred
I also find it dulls the taste of ass most antibiotics tend to have. :tongue:

I would have been happy if metronidazole tasted of ass.

That stuff is bad. :no:
Reply 9
Original post by Sabertooth

Trazodone was nasty :frown:
Original post by Airmed
Trazodone was nasty :frown:

Nothing in comparison, trust me. :no:

I threw up. In a hotel room. Several times. :colondollar: It was not fun. And those tablets were ****ing huge too so it was a nightmare to swallow.
Reply 11
Nothing in comparison, trust me. :no:

I threw up. In a hotel room. Several times. :colondollar: It was not fun. And those tablets were ****ing huge too so it was a nightmare to swallow.

You'll give me nightmares :eek:
Original post by Airmed
You'll give me nightmares :eek:

3 times a day for 10 days! I started feeling nauseous an hour before I had to take it, and took it while standing in the shower each time to minimize cleanup.

Just don't get an intestine infection. :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)

Oh god. That sounds nasty. I hope I never need anything like that. I'm bad enough with normal antibiotics :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest