The Student Room Group

Is 3 in GCSE AQA 2017 English Language A Pass

i have got 3 in english Language is that a pass or a fail? and will i need to do a resit

Scroll to see replies

I'm afraid you'll have to resit. A 4 is a standard pass.
Hi, I'm afraid that a 4 is considered a pass (low C) so unless you passed Literature you will have to resit
Reply 3
A fail I am afraid, 50% of pupils got the wrong grade in GCSE English Lang, I was expecting a 7 but got a 4 which is definitively wrong.
Reply 4
Original post by gubfyhv
i have got 3 in english Language is that a pass or a fail? and will i need to do a resit

well if its really near a pass then you might not need to resit but if its a lot from a pass than you have to I guess.
You should probably ask the college your going to.
Original post by CinnamonSmol
Hi, I'm afraid that a 4 is considered a pass (low C) so unless you passed Literature you will have to resit

I thought that you had to pass Language, regardless of your Literature result?
Reply 6
Original post by The RAR
A fail I am afraid, 50% of pupils got the wrong grade in GCSE English Lang, I was expecting a 7 but got a 4 which is definitively wrong.

I feel like i could of got a better mark also i have passed english lit
Reply 7
Original post by The RAR

i got a grade 3 too so i need to get my paper remarked
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I thought that you had to pass Language, regardless of your Literature result?

There's been a mixture of opinions but for my area at least you need to pass one of the English's if neither are passed then you resit Language
Reply 9
Original post by The RAR

Wow, get that remarked. I was expecting a 4 or 5 and got an 8 in lit and 7 in lang
There's been a mixture of opinions but for my area at least you need to pass one of the English's if neither are passed then you resit Language

Ah, in my area you need Language.
Original post by The RAR

Same i was expecting a 7 and got a 5
Did u get your mark equivalent (ums points) i didn't
So i have to contact the school now :redface:
Original post by Taran001
Same i was expecting a 7 and got a 5
Did u get your mark equivalent (ums points) i didn't
So i have to contact the school now :redface:

Nope, I didn't get my UMS and my school is quite *****y when it comes to remarks
Original post by The RAR
Nope, I didn't get my UMS and my school is quite *****y when it comes to remarks

Not sure if anyone got ums marks for the 9-1
I'm also a little upset cuz i got a 7 in maths not an 8
Original post by The RAR

Then get it remarked? A massive grade fall like that could possibly suggest a clerical error. 50% of pupils didn't get the wrong grade but it's uncertain if their grades are correct.

Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
Ah, in my area you need Language.

You'd need to resit language regardless of your literature grade if you wanted to get into university; universities ask for a at least a C in language and do not accept literature in its place.

Original post by The RAR
In what way? If you'd be paying for it (which you should be), I don't see why there'd be an issue.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16

I don't know what fantasy/make-believe area you're in, but in reality you need at least a C (grade 4) in English Language in order to progress onto employment/further education (at most establishments/institutions).
Original post by The RAR

i am the same as you i was expected to get higher than an 8 and i got a 9 in english lit and i get a 4 i think its wrong?????
Original post by Taran001
Not sure if anyone got ums marks for the 9-1
I'm also a little upset cuz i got a 7 in maths not an 8

For the 9-1 exams, what you have is your raw marks, not UMS. Your exam officer will be able to give you your marks (as well as the UMS for all your subjects other than Maths / English Literature / English language).
Original post by The RAR

I feel exactly the same way as you. I was expecting a 6 or higher and if worse came to worst a 5, but I got a 4. My teacher was even shocked. I've been checking online, and it turns out many people are devastated with their English language result. Some people who were performing lower than me got a 5. I thought I did well. I'm really not happy. What the hell do they expect you to write? I pointed out all sorts and my writing was near perfect with little grammar and punctuation errors. They're just harsh people 😤

Quick Reply

Latest