The Student Room Group

Get This Boy To Vet School! (A*AB)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Yeah, it's actually quite awful how competitive it is here; it's so much more than any other country in Europe. I've known people to go study medicine in Spain or Czech Republic with BBC for example, where as here, people with 3A* end up not making it. Problem mainly is down to their admissions criteria, some of them require a high UKCAT too, so it may be a waste of a choice. I hear chemistry isn't even used much in these subjects, and is only used as an applicant thinner - UK Med courses for you 😂

Yes, that is unfortunately the case. :frown: And yet for some medicine/vet medicine degrees, Biology isn't a requirement, which just seems bizarre? I guess it's just that there are a lot of high-calibre candidates, and Chemistry is just an easy way to differentiate between them.
Original post by Scitty
Yes, that is unfortunately the case. :frown: And yet for some medicine/vet medicine degrees, Biology isn't a requirement, which just seems bizarre? I guess it's just that there are a lot of high-calibre candidates, and Chemistry is just an easy way to differentiate between them.

Yeah it's disgusting :/ well, good luck on your future endeavours, mate; I'll see you around the forum.
Reply 102
Original post by Scitty

Chemistry is assumed knowledge. They (some) don't require biology as they teach it to you anyway but they won't teach the chemistry.
Reply 103
Original post by SGHD26716
Chemistry is assumed knowledge. They (some) don't require biology as they teach it to you anyway but they won't teach the chemistry.

Well...that is true, but only in the sense that you aren't going to need to teach med students about transition metals and fossil fuel composition. But I remember there being some criticism back along that there were medical students starting who didn't know basic biology and had to invest in additional classes just to bring them up to scratch. It was a late someone in the veterinary profession who said about it, though for the life of me I can't remember his name.

Would have thought both at high grade (A and above) would be necessary for any sort of medical-orientated degree, anyway (hence why most vet schools demand both).
Congrats on your results -- honestly so impressed with that UMS.
Best of luck with wherever life takes you, it's been a pleasure to read your (very aesthetically pleasing) journey. Xx
Reply 105
An Update...

Bristol Veterinary Admissions got back to me and asked if I could send them details of my extenuating circumstances. I did so, and after some consideration they have decided to offer me an unconditional place for D100 in 2018.

The course is already full this year - but I'm going to be a vet! I can't believe it! My mum is still crying, even hours after finding out, and my partner welled up when I rang to tell him. I'm so relieved, as it means I don't have to try and fly out to Kosice to sit their exams (and potentially move out there) while still recovering from surgery (I haven't even had my stitches out yet, urgh).

My plan now is to get a job in order to save up money for next year, and try and do some work experience and/or free courses on the side to keep myself topped up on knowledge and my head in the game.

Honestly over the moon and still in shock. I'm so, so grateful Bristol have decided to give me this chance. I hope (know) that they won't have reason to regret it.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in over the past few months. My original parting message stands: don't give up. If you persevere enough, stick it out, and don't let others tear you down, you can make it.

Good luck. And well done to the GCSE students for their results today! I'm now off to break the good news to my best friend... :redface:
(edited 6 years ago)
Congrats! Come see placement with me some day :smile:
I know I responded to this in the other thread already but I just wanna say that I am soooooo incredibly proud of all your hard work and determination in the face of some pretty tough setbacks. I'm so glad that it has worked out in the end, you will have a great time at uni.

Have an awesome gap year, what a great treat to look forward to at the end of it :biggrin:

In this spirit of all the great GIFs on this blog, have some doggo hugs:
Original post by Scitty
An Update...

Bristol Veterinary Admissions got back to me and asked if I could send them details of my extenuating circumstances. I did so, and after some consideration they have decided to offer me an unconditional place for D100 in 2018.

The course is already full this year - but I'm going to be a vet! I can't believe it! My mum is still crying, even hours after finding out, and my partner welled up when I rang to tell him. I'm so relieved, as it means I don't have to try and fly out to Kosice to sit their exams (and potentially move out there) while still recovering from surgery (I haven't even had my stitches out yet, urgh).

My plan now is to get a job in order to save up money for next year, and try and do some work experience and/or free courses on the side to keep myself topped up on knowledge and my head in the game.

Honestly over the moon and still in shock. I'm so, so grateful Bristol have decided to give me this chance. I hope (know) that they won't have reason to regret it.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in over the past few months. My original parting message stands: don't give up. If you persevere enough, stick it out, and don't let others tear you down, you can make it.

Good luck. And well done to the GCSE students for their results today! I'm now off to break the good news to my best friend... :redface:

Oh my gosh I am so pleased for you to hear that! :biggrin: Huge congratulations- you really deserve this. I have had extenuating circumstances this year, so am returning to school to do my final year and reading your blog (mostly lurking :lol: ) over the past couple of moths has really gave me hope, so thank you for writing it :smile: Your tenacity and determination to reach your goal is really admirable and you should be so proud of yourself :hugs: Hope you have a good gap year and all the best for uni next year! :biggrin:
Reply 109
Original post by Labrador99
Oh my gosh I am so pleased for you to hear that! :biggrin: Huge congratulations- you really deserve this. I have had extenuating circumstances this year, so am returning to school to do my final year and reading your blog (mostly lurking :lol: ) over the past couple of moths has really gave me hope, so thank you for writing it :smile: Your tenacity and determination to reach your goal is really admirable and you should be so proud of yourself :hugs: Hope you have a good gap year and all the best for uni next year! :biggrin:

Ahh thank you. :redface: I'm glad it's been helpful to you! If you ever want help or to chat or vent, you know where to find me! I'm sure you'll achieve what you want to. :h: Good luck!

Original post by Angry cucumber
Congrats! Come see placement with me some day :smile:

Cheers. Will do. :wink:

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I know I responded to this in the other thread already but I just wanna say that I am soooooo incredibly proud of all your hard work and determination in the face of some pretty tough setbacks. I'm so glad that it has worked out in the end, you will have a great time at uni.

Have an awesome gap year, what a great treat to look forward to at the end of it :biggrin:

In this spirit of all the great GIFs on this blog, have some doggo hugs:

Thank you! :hug::hugs:

What a good gif of some good boys. :cry2:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Scitty
Ahh thank you. :redface: I'm glad it's been helpful to you! If you ever want help or to chat or vent, you know where to find me! I'm sure you'll achieve what you want to. :h: Good luck!

Thank you :h: PRSOM :frown:
Oh my! I was catching up on your story, was devastated to read what happened to you on results day, but ECSTATIC to read the latest update!!

CONGRAAAAATS!:dancing:

VERY deserved considering all the pain you have gone through, not to mention the perseverance!
Reply 112
Original post by Labrador99
Thank you :h: PRSOM :frown:

Right? I keep trying to rep the same 4 or so people over and over :lol:

Original post by TheOFactor
Oh my! I was catching up on your story, was devastated to read what happened to you on results day, but ECSTATIC to read the latest update!!

CONGRAAAAATS!:dancing:

VERY deserved considering all the pain you have gone through, not to mention the perseverance!

Thank you!! Believe me, the emotions were much the same on my end. :tongue:
Original post by Scitty

Congratulations!!:smile:
You genuinely deserve it so much given everything you've overcome and how much work you put in. Best of luck for the future:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending