The Student Room Group

An answer to "Prove that God does not exist"

I refrain from branding myself as an atheist. But lets say there is a scale 1-10. 1 means I 100% believe in God , 10 means I completely and utterly reject the idea as complete nonsense. I would say I am a 9 as I accept the miniscule possibility there is a God, but if I were to follow the logic of religious people I would have to take the existence of fairies, elves and magical unicorns just as serious.

To base ones moral values on ancient scriptures written by man is foolish. I believe that one person can perhaps in their conscience accept that perhaps there is 'something' that is responsible for us and to be thankful and humble for it. But to worship God, Allah or any other God is simply irresponsible, especially when morals in religions are so corrupt. Stoning gays? Dehumanising women? And please do not argue they are not meant 'literally', you either accept them as the ultimate word of God or accept they are nonsense created by mankind. The belief in God comes from fear and a desire to feel meaning in life.

Well wake up people, why does there have to be meaning, what does meaning even mean? Why are humans the only species on this planet that have meaning in this world? Why leave the rest of the organism on our planet to damnation? Is it not more logical that our late ancestors simply were faced with an environment filled with many unanswered questions and desperate for answers they resorted to fantasies?

And besides if there is a 'God' and he is 'benevolent' I would like to think that he could judge my compassion as a human being not on whether I went to some dusty old building and sang songs about him every Sunday or read a verse from a small book everyday but on more important matters such as how I treat others. Surely he would be more impressed by a person you holds his moral values not because of fear of eternal damnation, but because of his common sense, compassion and empathy.

Sorry for any spelling/ grammar errors I wrote this in a rush but I would really like to get a discussion going. Please argue with facts not feelings thank you. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Well.. sorry to be the one saying this, however - if such a being existed, or currently does, surely someone would have proved his existence thus far into the existence of the species we have come to know as Humans, on earth. Currently, since 'Christ' it is believed to have been 2017 years. And all there is, is a small pool of ideas revolving around ultimate beings, Gods. If any of the such tales are true and everyone has had some experience or will, whether with God, Satan, or any such messenger - why do many not? What would randomly omit the being's supposed love for all of his creations? If, for example, the Bible was true, if god loved all his creations, why was there a great flood caused by him? If he loved all, why does he cause more than necessary suffering. Although I do understand for good to really exist, bad in its truest form must also exist - and visa versa. However if this being is so supposedly ferior to us, why is there no solution to simpler things(they're not simple but if there really was a god, surely it would be a small problem that's easy to fix) such as education, health care, the right wing vs. left wing, etc.? Sure, there may be a complete paragraph of rambling similar to mine, however when it comes down to it, if the other was similar, both arguments are viable and so anyone reading should consider these questions - whether the writer believes in god, doesn't, believes in extraterrestrial beings instead ruling over us or instead don't believe in a god but realise that there is a possibility and therefore are on neither of the two main sides - seriously, rather than with their opinions.
And yes I realise that god may not be a "he" as I have been saying, however: 1. I am lazy, and therefore am not bothering and 2, I lame society for my conformity to this subconscious belief.
(edited 6 years ago)
Sorry for the above rambling, I think things through less, structure less, etc. when on my mobile.. and it's half ten at night on results day and mild alcohol. So.. yeah.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Why would you have a scale like that?!

Becuase I do not want to brand myself as atheist or agnostic as titles like that come along with assumptions of my character and beliefs. A scale puts it out bluntly, I do not believe in a God as there is no evidence , but given evidence I would believe. When I tell someone I am a nine on such a scale I am doing so without labelling myself to a group of people I rather wish I did not assosiate with :smile:
Original post by Eloise204010
Well.. sorry to be the one saying this, however - if such a being existed, or currently does, surely someone would have proved his existence thus far into the existence of the species we have come to know as Humans, on earth. Currently, since 'Christ' it is believed to have been 2017 years. And all there is, is a small pool of ideas revolving around ultimate beings, Gods. If any of the such tales are true and everyone has had some experience or will, whether with God, Satan, or any such messenger - why do many not? What would randomly omit the being's supposed love for all of his creations? If, for example, the Bible was true, if god loved all his creations, why was there a great flood caused by him? If he loved all, why does he cause more than necessary suffering. Although I do understand for good to really exist, bad in its truest form must also exist - and visa versa. However if this being is so supposedly ferior to us, why is there no solution to simpler things(they're not simple but if there really was a god, surely it would be a small problem that's easy to fix) such as education, health care, the right wing vs. left wing, etc.? Sure, there may be a complete paragraph of rambling similar to mine, however when it comes down to it, if the other was similar, both arguments are viable and so anyone reading should consider these questions - whether the writer believes in god, doesn't, believes in extraterrestrial beings instead ruling over us or instead don't believe in a god but realise that there is a possibility and therefore are on neither of the two main sides - seriously, rather than with their opinions.
And yes I realise that god may not be a "he" as I have been saying, however: 1. I am lazy, and therefore am not bothering and 2, I lame society for my conformity to this subconscious belief.

Put a computer filled with information infront of a monkey it sees merely a bright light. How do we not know we are not 'monkeys' staring into evidence without realising it.

Even If a does 'God' exist who is to say he is how we define him to be. Why should he care about us? Is our creation not enough of a gift must he nurture us our whole existence? Our parents are loving yet eventually even they let us live on our own?
No, I meant why not simply have 100 => 100% belief in Sky Daddy, and 0 => 0% belief - rather than 1 => 100% and 10 => 0%?

Didn't think it was necessary, 1-10 seemed neater. I never mentioned percentages either :smile:
Original post by Mr.Bazaar
Put a computer filled with information infront of a monkey it sees merely a bright light. How do we not know we are not 'monkeys' staring into evidence without realising it.

Even If a does 'God' exist who is to say he is how we define him to be. Why should he care about us? Is our creation not enough of a gift must he nurture us our whole existence? Our parents are loving yet eventually even they let us live on our own?

Well how would we know that we are or not without outside interference?

Well if he is similar to a parent, when does a parent ever stop caring about their child? Sure at a certain age they stop housing, feeding and clothing them, however despite this they would still intervene usually if something was starting too look bad, heck they'd talk to you about it a lot, offering solutions and/or help.

Well referring to what you already said, if he created us - surely there's a reason. If he didn't care then presumably it was something that only benefits the individual for a short amount of time, and then is forgotten and isn't cared for anymore. If he cared and cares still, at least in my opinion, I believe it to be down to either one of these reasons:

1. For egotistical, somewhat narcissistic reasons. Why else would you create whole planet of animals who adore you and obey every one of your commands or demands?

2. Unless of course if he did exist, and like humans - get lonely and so buy pets, slightly similar to this, to keep them company and entertain them.

3. For business reasons. Create a whole planet of beings, almost completely in the dark of who you actually are thinking that you exist, with the rest not believing that you actually exist. This keeps them oblivious to how and why you mar be/are using them, they're too bothered with praying or arguing that god doesn't exist to bother with such thoughts.

There may be many other reasons, but as I am tired I honestly cannot be bothered to think, nor type out the said reasons.
Title claims to answer an impossible question.

Posts do not.

/thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jasaron
Title claims to answer an impossible question.

Posts do not.

/thread

The title says 'an answer' not 'the answer'.

Never claimed anything. Take a maths paper for example, someone may answer a question but wrongly. It is merely my take on things :smile:
Original post by Eloise204010
Well how would we know that we are or not without outside interference?

Well if he is similar to a parent, when does a parent ever stop caring about their child? Sure at a certain age they stop housing, feeding and clothing them, however despite this they would still intervene usually if something was starting too look bad, heck they'd talk to you about it a lot, offering solutions and/or help.

Well referring to what you already said, if he created us - surely there's a reason. If he didn't care then presumably it was something that only benefits the individual for a short amount of time, and then is forgotten and isn't cared for anymore. If he cared and cares still, at least in my opinion, I believe it to be down to either one of these reasons:

1. For egotistical, somewhat narcissistic reasons. Why else would you create whole planet of animals who adore you and obey every one of your commands or demands?

2. Unless of course if he did exist, and like humans - get lonely and so buy pets, slightly similar to this, to keep them company and entertain them.

3. For business reasons. Create a whole planet of beings, almost completely in the dark of who you actually are thinking that you exist, with the rest not believing that you actually exist. This keeps them oblivious to how and why you mar be/are using them, they're too bothered with praying or arguing that god doesn't exist to bother with such thoughts.

There may be many other reasons, but as I am tired I honestly cannot be bothered to think, nor type out the said reasons.

There may be outside inteference but its chances are extremely minimal. And if it is existant the chances for it to even marginally resemble what we think it does is just as minimal.

Do you wish to base your existance on such a small probability? It is like planning for life ahead believing that you will win the lottery some day soon.
It doesn't bother me, just rather amused.

Mathemagicien 1-0 Mr.Bazaar
Reply 11
There isn't really an answer to the demand "prove that God does not exist", since it's very difficult, if not impossible in a lot of cases, to prove a negative. This is, of course, what religion relies upon.
Reply 12
I refrain from branding myself as an atheist. But lets say there is a scale 1-10. 1 means I 100% believe in God , 10 means I completely and utterly reject the idea as complete nonsense. I would say I am a 9 as I accept the miniscule possibility there is a God, but if I were to follow the logic of religious people I would have to take the existence of fairies, elves and magical unicorns just as serious.

To base ones moral values on ancient scriptures written by man is foolish. I believe that one person can perhaps in their conscience accept that perhaps there is 'something' that is responsible for us and to be thankful and humble for it. But to worship God, Allah or any other God is simply irresponsible, especially when morals in religions are so corrupt. Stoning gays? Dehumanising women? And please do not argue they are not meant 'literally', you either accept them as the ultimate word of God or accept they are nonsense created by mankind. The belief in God comes from fear and a desire to feel meaning in life.

Well wake up people, why does there have to be meaning, what does meaning even mean? Why are humans the only species on this planet that have meaning in this world? Why leave the rest of the organism on our planet to damnation? Is it not more logical that our late ancestors simply were faced with an environment filled with many unanswered questions and desperate for answers they resorted to fantasies?

And besides if there is a 'God' and he is 'benevolent' I would like to think that he could judge my compassion as a human being not on whether I went to some dusty old building and sang songs about him every Sunday or read a verse from a small book everyday but on more important matters such as how I treat others. Surely he would be more impressed by a person you holds his moral values not because of fear of eternal damnation, but because of his common sense, compassion and empathy.

Sorry for any spelling/ grammar errors I wrote this in a rush but I would really like to get a discussion going. Please argue with facts not feelings thank you. :smile:

Say "Prove there isn't a invisible fluffy pink unicorn in the sky"
Or, "Prove I can't fly"
The burden of proof is on the one who makes the proposition. You could attempt to justify anything by doing it in reverse.
Or, use their logic against them. Ask them to prove why a deity from another religion doesn't exist, then ask them to apply that logic to their own religion.
There may be outside inteference but its chances are extremely minimal. And if it is existant the chances for it to even marginally resemble what we think it does is just as minimal.

Do you wish to base your existance on such a small probability? It is like planning for life ahead believing that you will win the lottery some day soon.

I didn't mean there is outside interference, rather that how would we know for sure without it?

And I never mentioned what I wish.. nor do I base my existence on the implied statement, 'Everything we know is what is real until proven otherwise by someone outside of our known 'reality'.'. I rather prefer to get on with what I'm doing in the short term apart from my quite extensive planning of my education and things revolving around that,(omitting one thing but who cares, this isn't a student finance form), in the next 8/9 years.. regardless of what may or may not happen and what may or may not be true.

In all reality I probably base my existence on my childhood development and what I know, as that is what would have shaped my existence and the very base of it. Changing the whole base of someone's existence takes more than learning a small probability, as you're then editing the whole belief system of the human mind and all known knowledge based on that one belief. Which takes a lot to do, and therefore takes a lot to cause. Usually.
Original post by Beth_H
There isn't really an answer to the demand "prove that God does not exist", since it's very difficult, if not impossible in a lot of cases, to prove a negative. This is, of course, what religion relies upon.

Yep. And that's why you can use the opposite argument, "Prove God exists" against religion as most of the beliefs are based on literature(Of which its truth or lies cannot be proven or disproved) and individual experiences, I believe.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
So you're agnostic...
Original post by Djerun
Say "Prove there isn't a invisible fluffy pink unicorn in the sky"
Or, "Prove I can't fly"
The burden of proof is on the one who makes the proposition. You could attempt to justify anything by doing it in reverse.
Or, use their logic against them. Ask them to prove why a deity from another religion doesn't exist, then ask them to apply that logic to their own religion.

Precisely.

Well, I am an Atheist, as are you by most definitions.

My response to "Prove that God does not exist" is "no". I don't claim that no gods exist, although I strongly suspect that's the case.

Those that claim that one does, and that they know his opinion on sexual positions, are making some very detailed claims. They have the burden of proof if they're want me not to laugh at them. In fact, they actually have to prove that all the incompatible (with theirs) gods that others claim don't exist.
Original post by TheMystery
So you're agnostic...

Agnosticism is commonly associated with 'there might be a god there might not be' almost as if either scenario is just as likely, that is not the case. Branding myself as agnostic almost suggests i havent given much thought , which i have hence i refrain from the word.
Man makes plan and god laughs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending