The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Uni/ St Andrews

In my GCSE's I got 3 A*s and 7As and honesty I am gutted however is there ANY chance if getting into either Edinburgh or St Andrews for medicine because I've had my heart set on them and I saw the entry requirements for Edinburgh to be around 6 A*???
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Navybird
In my GCSE's I got 3 A*s and 7As and honesty I am gutted however is there ANY chance if getting into either Edinburgh or St Andrews for medicine because I've had my heart set on them and I saw the entry requirements for Edinburgh to be around 6 A*???

For Edinburgh Medicine "The average A level applicant is offering 6A* at GCSE and the top one third (around 350) between 8 and 11 A*."

Thats just the average though, you might be able to make up for it through good A levels and Ukcat scores, although even that won't guarantee you offers. Its best to apply to med schools that put less weighing on gcse's if that's your aim.
If you get good AS/predicted grades (whatever it will be) and a strong personal statement you should be fine.
Original post by Cubone-r
Can you please show me which course at Edinburgh requires 6 A*s at GCSE? I can tell you none exist.

Your GCSE grades are superb and you know that. You have more than a chance at Edinburgh and St Andrews (provided solid A levels) - but you don't need me to tell you that.

please don't spout rubbish, this is for medicine.

for competitive courses at competitive universities, GCSE grades are important.
Original post by ScotBank16
please don't spout rubbish, this is for medicine.

for competitive courses at competitive universities, GCSE grades are important.

Debateable.
Original post by Cubone-r
Debateable.

Go ahead. Tell me about how GCSE grades are not important for medicine.
Original post by ScotBank16
Go ahead. Tell me about how GCSE grades are not important for medicine.

They're not as important as most students make them out to be - as long as you meet their minimum GCSE requirements you're fine. You don't need a million A*s.

For example, for medicine at Imperial as long as you have AAABB at GCSE in Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry, English Language, Mathematics, and Physics, then applicants who have achieved these minimum grades and those who have achieved higher are treated equally in the selection process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending