The Student Room Group

2018 PhD Applications

Are there others out there that are prepping for 2018 PhD applications? I'd love to chat and be stressed together lol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by artsytype
Are there others out there that are prepping for 2018 PhD applications? I'd love to chat and be stressed together lol

Yes!

I'm currently doing a research master's, but myself and my supervisor are preparing a PhD funding application for next year.
Reply 2
Original post by Cubone-r
Yes!

I'm currently doing a research master's, but myself and my supervisor are preparing a PhD funding application for next year.

That's nice that you have a supervisor helping you with it. So you're pretty sure you'll get in, then?
That's nice that you have a supervisor helping you with it. So you're pretty sure you'll get in, then?

Well, I'm already assured of having a PhD place under my supervisor as I've already been accepted onto the PhD programme at my university - whether we get the funding or not for our research is a different question.

If I don't get the funding then I will not be able to do it, sadly.
Reply 4
Well, I'm already assured of having a PhD place under my supervisor as I've already been accepted onto the PhD programme at my university - whether we get the funding or not for our research is a different question.

If I don't get the funding then I will not be able to do it, sadly.

Oooh, that's tough. When do you hear back on funding?
Oooh, that's tough. When do you hear back on funding?

We haven't applied yet - deadlines are in September/October (still working on making our applications the best they can be before sending them off). Not sure when we hear back from them - I think they will tell us once the deadline has passed. We are applying to multiple funding bodies to increase our chances, so we will see what happens.

Back up plan is to work as a research assistant for my supervisor (full-time) - get even more experience and maybe apply a year or two later.

What about you? What kind of PhD are you applying for?
Reply 6
We haven't applied yet - deadlines are in September/October (still working on making our applications the best they can be before sending them off). Not sure when we hear back from them - I think they will tell us once the deadline has passed. We are applying to multiple funding bodies to increase our chances, so we will see what happens.

Back up plan is to work as a research assistant for my supervisor (full-time) - get even more experience and maybe apply a year or two later.

What about you? What kind of PhD are you applying for?

At least your backup plan still sounds good!

I'm applying for art history. I've been out of school for about 7 years. There aren't many professors with my specialty, so I have limited (but good) options. Having been out of school for a while, I hope that I can make my application attractive enough!
At least your backup plan still sounds good!

I'm applying for art history. I've been out of school for about 7 years. There aren't many professors with my specialty, so I have limited (but good) options. Having been out of school for a while, I hope that I can make my application attractive enough!

My field is psychology by the way!

I'm sure you can, especially if you have been working in a relevant field. Are you writing your own research proposal or applying for predetermined PhD projects?
Reply 8
My field is psychology by the way!

I'm sure you can, especially if you have been working in a relevant field. Are you writing your own research proposal or applying for predetermined PhD projects?

Writing my own proposal. I've finished the first draft and it's out with two potential supervisors. They'll probably each have their own changes they'd like to make.

The application deadlines are in Jan and I don't think they start reviewing them until then, so I think I'm in for a crazy few months of stress. I wish I could just know already!
Reply 9
Hi, not even in university yet but just wanted to ask what kind of things do you have to do to get a PhD? It is an exam or a project? How likely is it that you fail?
Writing my own proposal. I've finished the first draft and it's out with two potential supervisors. They'll probably each have their own changes they'd like to make.

The application deadlines are in Jan and I don't think they start reviewing them until then, so I think I'm in for a crazy few months of stress. I wish I could just know already!

You'll be fine, you've done all you can now - there's much else you can do.

Just try and keep yourself busy as much as possible! :smile:
Hi!

I'm just about to start my MRes at UCL. It can be a 1+3 but I'd like to explore elsewhere too :-)

Exciting times ahead!
Original post by doped
Hi, not even in university yet but just wanted to ask what kind of things do you have to do to get a PhD? It is an exam or a project? How likely is it that you fail?

A PhD is purely research based - usually over 3/4 years. You must go through a 'viva' at the end (after you have submitted your thesis) by where a panel of doctors/professors in your field ask you questions/criticise your research and you must defend it in front of them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Hi!

I'm just about to start my MRes at UCL. It can be a 1+3 but I'd like to explore elsewhere too :-)

Exciting times ahead!

Good luck!

I'm an MRes student myself. :smile:
Original post by doped

It's really way too early to be worrying about PhDs - you won't have an idea of whether you're cut out for it at least until your 3rd year of your bachelors degree - possibly after. I wasn't ready to start until after my BSc, three years of work, and a masters. If you're going to uni, enjoy it, study something you're passionate about and get really stuck in, and the rest will follow. :smile:
Original post by worldender
It's really way too early to be worrying about PhDs - you won't have an idea of whether you're cut out for it at least until your 3rd year of your bachelors degree - possibly after. I wasn't ready to start until after my BSc, three years of work, and a masters. If you're going to uni, enjoy it, study something you're passionate about and get really stuck in, and the rest will follow. :smile:

That's not necessarily true - I knew I wanted to do a PhD when I was doing my A Levels, so everything I did was for that goal.
That's not necessarily true - I knew I wanted to do a PhD when I was doing my A Levels, so everything I did was for that goal.

You may know you want to do that - but whether you are cut out for it or not, that is something you learn during your degree/master's.
Reply 17
Original post by doped

Are you asking about applying to a PhD or completing it once you're in a programme? In both cases, it will depend on the subject. What are you going to study?

Eh, it's good to have aspirations, but the style of working required is something so different to what you do at school that I think it's impossible to know whether you'd enjoy or be any good at research until you've got a firm grip of what academia entails. Much like any other job.
Psychology PhD applicant here!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending