The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lattu27
Hey guys, haven't seen a thread like this so thought I would start it.

Barts looks at your application and ranks you on a 50:50 basis with your UCAS tariff points and your UKCAT.

UKCAT: 717.5
UCAS tariff points: 338

Hi, just wondering how did you get UCAS tariff points of 338? I only got 288 and that's with me getting top scores and doing an additional subjet.
Reply 2
Original post by Sallymck
Hi, just wondering how did you get UCAS tariff points of 338? I only got 288 and that's with me getting top scores and doing an additional subjet.

Hey, I'm doing 4 A levels, predicted top grades, an EPQ and I have completed LAMDA Drama exams (two Grade 6, two Grade 7 and one Grade 8 and achieved Distinction). :smile:
Original post by lattu27
Hey, I'm doing 4 A levels, predicted top grades, an EPQ and I have completed LAMDA Drama exams (two Grade 6, two Grade 7 and one Grade 8 and achieved Distinction). :smile:

Jesus christ you will definitely get an interview
Reply 4
Original post by SpidgetFinner
Jesus christ you will definitely get an interview

ahaha hopefully, I really liked Barts
Reply 5
What? I got 3 A's an my tariff says 152. How did you get 300+? Are you doing 8 A-levels?
Reply 6
Original post by HateOCR
What? I got 3 A's an my tariff says 152. How did you get 300+? Are you doing 8 A-levels?

lol no i'm not doing 8 A levels. I'm doing 4 A levels, predicted top grades, an EPQ and I have completed LAMDA Drama exams (two Grade 6, two Grade 7 and one Grade 8 and achieved Distinction).
Reply 7
Original post by lattu27
lol no i'm not doing 8 A levels. I'm doing 4 A levels, predicted top grades, an EPQ and I have completed LAMDA Drama exams (two Grade 6, two Grade 7 and one Grade 8 and achieved Distinction).

Are you sure you arent using the old tariff system?
Original post by HateOCR
Are you sure you arent using the old tariff system?

I don't think they are - on old system 3As would give you around 360. Theirs would give you some ridiculous number near 800 or so I think
Reply 9
Original post by lattu27

whats your ukcat score. That matters equally as much as your grades do.
Reply 10
Original post by HateOCR
whats your ukcat score. That matters equally as much as your grades do.

I got an average of 717.5 for my UKCAT
Original post by lattu27
I got an average of 717.5 for my UKCAT

oi u cant get that score cos they only look at academic tariff points so ur drama tings dont count
Reply 12
Original post by lordofthehumans
oi u cant get that score cos they only look at academic tariff points so ur drama tings dont count

:frown:( where does it say that?
Could I even stand a chance with a 200 tariff (A*AAA) and 677.5 UKCAT :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by 12345John12345
Could I even stand a chance with a 200 tariff (A*AAA) and 677.5 UKCAT :frown:

Looking at the 2017 entry stats, http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/admissions-statistics-for-medicine--dentistry/
For a tariff of 196 you needed a UKCAT total of 2240 (for 3 sections so average of 747)

With the UKCAT average going up, personally I think it's very risky but it's your choice
Original post by lattu27
Looking at the 2017 entry stats, http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/admissions-statistics-for-medicine--dentistry/
For a tariff of 196 you needed a UKCAT total of 2240 (for 3 sections so average of 747)

With the UKCAT average going up, personally I think it's very risky but it's your choice

Thank you, it is very risky - I don't know if Ill go for it or not.
Reply 16
Hey guys so the UCAS tariff is calculated using your predicted grades for A levels right?
Reply 17
Original post by iras
Hey guys so the UCAS tariff is calculated using your predicted grades for A levels right?

Yeah
Do you think its worth applying with a UCAS tariff of 264 and UKCAT of 2490 Band 1 ?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by lattu27

I think you have over calculated your UCAS tariff:
Quote from LAMDA:
'3) Tariff points are allocated to the highest level of achievement. This means that you cannot gain points for a Grade 6, Grade 7 and Grade 8 within the same subject/pathway.....'

Are you sure that you haven't added all your grade tariffs together? In which case, the only one that will be counted is the Grade 8.
People that score very highly are usually those who are doing the IB, or those with 4+ A* A Level predictions (or achieved), music grades grade 8 (practical and theory as they are counted separately) etc.

Latest