The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Foundation year medicine - Liverpool 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amberooney
She can live on student accommodation if she wants. You are treated like a university of Liverpool student even in foundation year and can get a student loan for that year as well. It's just like doing a 6 year uni course but the first is ran at a different campus. The foundation course will only get her into Liverpool medical school anyway so if she wants to stay in London it's not the right course for her.

Oh ok I just wanted to clarify accommodation obviously because if it was available she might struggle as she has her own flat in London at the moment so was concerned about commuting...

She likes Liverpool a lot as kids we visited the city many times so I think she's interested in applying for that course first...

Is it hard to pass first year as I gather it's a lot of chemistry and biology in one year when most do it over two years?!

Thanks
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Original post by vickie89uk
Oh ok I just wanted to clarify accommodation obviously because if it was available she might struggle as she has her own flat in London at the moment so was concerned about commuting...

She likes Liverpool a lot as kids we visited the city many times so I think she's interested in applying for that course first...

Is it hard to pass first year as I gather it's a lot of chemistry and biology in one year when most do it over two years?!

Thanks

It's hard work but they don't teach the exact same content as A Level. It's the stuff that will be relevant and useful to medical school so for example in biology you don't study much about plants but some topics are in more depth. The course has been designed to fully prepare you for the next year and takes into account that a lot of people have been out of education for a long time. The teaching staff are very supportive and want you to do well. The pass rate is generally high. You need a year average of 70% and good attendance to pass and get on the main course. It's hard work but getting 3 A grade A Levels is probably harder in my opinion.

With accommodation a lot of people rented privately as it's cheaper than student halls. Some did live in halls though. Liverpool is quite affordable to live in, especially compared to London. Not sure a commute from London to Liverpool would be easy, especially in later years when your a proper medicine student with a full timetable. The foundation year is actually in St Helens which is a few miles from the city.
It's hard work but they don't teach the exact same content as A Level. It's the stuff that will be relevant and useful to medical school so for example in biology you don't study much about plants but some topics are in more depth. The course has been designed to fully prepare you for the next year and takes into account that a lot of people have been out of education for a long time. The teaching staff are very supportive and want you to do well. The pass rate is generally high. You need a year average of 70% and good attendance to pass and get on the main course. It's hard work but getting 3 A grade A Levels is probably harder in my opinion.

With accommodation a lot of people rented privately as it's cheaper than student halls. Some did live in halls though. Liverpool is quite affordable to live in, especially compared to London. Not sure a commute from London to Liverpool would be easy, especially in later years when your a proper medicine student with a full timetable. The foundation year is actually in St Helens which is a few miles from the city.

Thank you she obviously doesn't want to sell her flaso it's gonna be tough renting and mortaging but where there's a will there is a way

Thanks so much for your help shall pass this on
Hey guys, I'm thinking about applying for this course in 2018 but I'm not sure if I'm eligible to apply? I sat my A levels in 2015 and two of them were sciences - is that too recent? I'm at uni at the minute, going into final year this Sept, so I would be applying as graduate.

I contacted Carmen Nunez the course co-ordinator for the Foundation programme but I haven't heard back, I was just wondering what you guys thought about my situation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Emchugh6
Hey guys, I'm thinking about applying for this course in 2018 but I'm not sure if I'm eligible to apply? I sat my A levels in 2015 and two of them were sciences - is that too recent? I'm at uni at the minute, going into final year this Sept, so I would be applying as graduate.

I contacted Carmen Nunez the course co-ordinator for the Foundation programme but I haven't heard back, I was just wondering what you guys thought about my situation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks! :biggrin:

She is probably on leave as it's the summer and probably won't be back until next week..... when did you email her
I had a feeling that might be the case, I emailed her yesterday. Do you think I should email her again next week or just wait?
Original post by Emchugh6
I had a feeling that might be the case, I emailed her yesterday. Do you think I should email her again next week or just wait?

From what I know, I don't think you'd be eligible for the foundation course as you're only just finishing a degree. But you should definitely look at graduate programmes!
Ah ok that's no problem, thanks so much for your advice! I've applied for graduate programs as well, just wanted to explore any other possible options.Thanks again! ☺️
Hi all,

I've got my UCAS form filled in and I think my personal statement is just about there too! Are there many others on here who are applying for 2018 entry? If so feel free to message me (or if there is enough people, I'll start another thread!).

Jordan :smile:
I'm starting in 2018! I got accepted this year, but took a deferred place!
Original post by jakeyparamedic
Hey everyone!
Thought I'd start a thread for everyone applying to Liverpool to study Medicine with a foundation year 2017 entry.
A nice thread to provide help and support for anyone that needs it!
A bit about me, I'm 24years old. I've been on and off about perusing a career in medicine for years but never actually did! I've finally applied to this course! Good luck everyone!

Do you need to take the UKCAT to apply to this course can't see it on this years requirements

Thanks
Do you need to take the UKCAT to apply to this course can't see it on this years requirements

Thanks

No you don't need to do the UKCAT

Thanks

No you don't!
No you don't!

Ok thanks
Original post by JordanUK
Hi all,

I've got my UCAS form filled in and I think my personal statement is just about there too! Are there many others on here who are applying for 2018 entry? If so feel free to message me (or if there is enough people, I'll start another thread!).

Jordan :smile:

Hi Jordan,

Im applying for 2018, have you done your PS and what you thinking of studying after ?
No you don't!

Will a UKCAT be required after year 0 I thought every applicant or medical student had to sit one of the tests either UKCAT or BMAT
Will a UKCAT be required after year 0 I thought every applicant or medical student had to sit one of the tests either UKCAT or BMAT

No UKCAT required. Just pass the year.

Thanks very much how difficult is the year?
Thanks very much how difficult is the year?

I meant this in terms of A levels etc because I worry it'll make me learn 2 years of information in a single year.... I want to be prepared for that
Thanks
what was ur ukcat score, gcses and a levels when u got an offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending