The Student Room Group

Official eczema problem forum

Hi all,

I've been suffering from eczema badly for the past 1 and a half years and though I'm lucky it's not as bad as some people, it still pains me and stops me from doing what I want. I think it might be due to my sugar intake which I've decreased but I don't know how to make it go. I've tried Chinese medicines, herbals, all sorts of creams in the hope that it will go but nothing ever goes. It just gives me false hope and more despair. Any other eczema sufferers are welcome to post here and anyone who's managed to get rid of their eczema, please give me some advise on how to do the same.

Thanks for your time.😌

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabz152
Hi all,

I've been suffering from eczema badly for the past 1 and a half years and though I'm lucky it's not as bad as some people, it still pains me and stops me from doing what I want. I think it might be due to my sugar intake which I've decreased but I don't know how to make it go. I've tried Chinese medicines, herbals, all sorts of creams in the hope that it will go but nothing ever goes. It just gives me false hope and more despair. Any other eczema sufferers are welcome to post here and anyone who's managed to get rid of their eczema, please give me some advise on how to do the same.

Thanks for your time.😌

I had exczema as a child it's caused by additives in drinks, I ve had occasional bought this past year though so I ve been trying to use doublebase as much as possible and been extra sure to avoid dizzy drinks. I also have asthma and hayfever so taking antihistamines daily for years might have been stopping it.
Reply 2
Yeh I've been applying double base for a long time but I think my eczema like yours might be triggered by additives. Thanks for the advice:tongue:

Original post by claireestelle
I had exczema as a child it's caused by additives in drinks, I ve had occasional bought this past year though so I ve been trying to use doublebase as much as possible and been extra sure to avoid dizzy drinks. I also have asthma and hayfever so taking antihistamines daily for years might have been stopping it.
Original post by Sabz152
Yeh I've been applying double base for a long time but I think my eczema like yours might be triggered by additives. Thanks for the advice:tongue:

Have you considered cutting out certain things to test that theory? After a while you stopping missing additives except I get the occasional bad Fanta cravings.
Original post by Sabz152
Hi all,

Thanks for your time.😌

Had eczema since I was little. Aveeno lotion works wonders. You can get it from most big supermarkets/Boots, etc.
Reply 5
If it is really bothering you look into Elocon (Steroid cream) and Elidel. Elidel works wonders and isn't a steroid cream so won't decrease skin thickness. Gps are generally reluctant to prescribe it as it is bloody pricey. Look into your diet; my eczema had triggers like certain e numbers, yeast in bread, dairy etc. Hope it gets better soon. I just grew out of mine and only get it occasionally though not nearly as badly.
My doctor tells me if i moisturise my skin 4 times a day I will definitely see a difference. Is this true?
Reply 7
Thank you so much for making this amazing product. Foderma does everything and zero pain!!!I am continuing to use it as a moisturizer and preventive measure against future skin infections.This truly is the Mother of All !!!!
Why have I only just found this thread?! I have been dealing with eczema since I was about 9. It gets really bad on the backs of my legs and the creases of my arms, to the point where it bleeds. Like a few people have mentioned above, I swear by aveeno, but like the lighter cream as it doesn't make my skin as sweaty and itchy. I also have a steroid cream that I use when it get really bad, which if you get it really bad to, you can get from your doctor. My number one tip is try not to scratch. I know it's hard but try itching your little finger instead, sometimes that helps.
Reply 9
Let's see if we can get this going a bit again...
I've recently developed mild eczema which was discovered after having multiple ear infections (the main place I have eczema is in my ears and it triggers infections).
I seem to be fine with applying steroid cream if I feel any itching, but it's still early days. I also avoid soaps, bubble baths etc since I've always had somewhat sensitive skin so that may be helping.
I had bad eczema when I was a kid on my legs. I seem to have grown out of it but it does sometimes flare, but never to the original level. I used aqueous cream when I was a kid, now I just use Vaseline's body lotion (the yellow rectangular one you might see on shelves) on normal days and E45 on sensitive days. I don't recommend Vaseline's body lotion for eczema, I can use it now because my eczema has largely stopped causing problems. Overall, the thing that has helped me most is keeping my nails short and soft lmao.
Original post by Sabz152
Hi all,

Thanks for your time.😌

Not rid of it but controlled.

Have you been to a Dermatologist?

I'm on Betemethosone Valerate & Doublebase Gel & Hydrochloride Cetrizine tablets with these it's not as bad as it was.

I find 'heat' foods or as said Garm in Punjabi. Ginger, fish seem to trigger it so I avoid them but we're all different. Cotton clothes, bedding all helps so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone help me our figuring if I had it?

I have a very big, oval shaped, scar which starts from behind my knee to half way up my thigh. It's almost gone back - dark dark brown, it is also bumpy and now there is a lot of hair growing on it and it's AWFUL. All I remember is that as a kid as I used to scratch a lot there to the point it bled. Thankfully I don't feel the need to scratch there anymore! :ahee:

I want to know if it is eczema because my doctor has asked me several times and I didn't know what to say as I wasn't 100% sure. I suspected it to be eczema so I said yes, but didn't mention I had a scar on my leg because of it (if it is that, that is). I cannot show my GP my leg for some reasons, that's why.

Can someone relate to that?
Original post by Sabz152
Hi all,

Thanks for your time.😌

If you haven't already, look into Aloe Vera creams. There's proof Aloe Vera can help ease/prevent symptoms of Eczema, and has worked very well whenever I have suffered it. It used to appear for weeks at a time, but after using Aloe Vera creams it would last less than a day before it practically disappears. Aloe Vera also increases how much the skin absorbs water etc, so on the bad days when it is extremely inflamed etc, using a bit of hydrocortisone (from pharmacy) with Aloe Vera makes it more effective
Reply 14
Original post by LozzaMov
If it is really bothering you look into Elocon (Steroid cream) and Elidel. Elidel works wonders and isn't a steroid cream so won't decrease skin thickness. Gps are generally reluctant to prescribe it as it is bloody pricey. Look into your diet; my eczema had triggers like certain e numbers, yeast in bread, dairy etc. Hope it gets better soon. I just grew out of mine and only get it occasionally though not nearly as badly.

There's a time I used to occsssionally use Elocon. Brilliant cream. It was immediately effective and would last me to expiry date as I only need a little and the eczema would disappear straight away. I wouldn't have to use it for months before it resurfaced again.

Ezcema no longer bothers me and not had to have a prescription for 5 years.

OP: you might want to look at the products you use. If you are a perfume wearer make sure you use top of the range perfume only, same goes for make up. Use ph balanced fragrance free shower gels such as simple. Use antibacterial soap such as cidal.

Make sure you use a good laundry detergent. I used to use powdered Daz before I became an Ariel liquid user. I sometimes wonder whether powdered soap had a negative effect.

Use a good moisturiser such as e45. Pure coconut oil also works wonders.

The conventional wisdom is that you should only shower every other day when you have eczema, but I find that to be bad advice as hygiene is important. Shower regularly, at least once a day, the most important thing is to use a good moisturiser after showering. I shower twice a day.

Make sure you don't have dust in your home. Also avoid pet fur.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LunaCat
Can someone help me our figuring if I had it?

I have a very big, oval shaped, scar which starts from behind my knee to half way up my thigh. It's almost gone back - dark dark brown, it is also bumpy and now there is a lot of hair growing on it and it's AWFUL. All I remember is that as a kid as I used to scratch a lot there to the point it bled. Thankfully I don't feel the need to scratch there anymore! :ahee:

I want to know if it is eczema because my doctor has asked me several times and I didn't know what to say as I wasn't 100% sure. I suspected it to be eczema so I said yes, but didn't mention I had a scar on my leg because of it (if it is that, that is). I cannot show my GP my leg for some reasons, that's why.

Can someone relate to that?

Eczema usually consists of bumpy, inflamed (sometimes flaky due to the inflammation) area of skin, which can also sometimes be itchy. Scratching it can cause scaring (however I can't really say just how bad the scaring can be, I guess that just depends on how bad it was scratched), so usually doctors advice not to scratch it at all whenever possible, and if it is really needed to scratch it, to not use your nails so it doesn't further damage the skin.

Obviously I can't say if that is the case for you, but if any or all of that sounds familiar from when you was a kid, maybe you did have eczema. You could always suggest the possibility to your doctor, but explain you was too young for you to 100% remember. They will likely look into it as a possibility anyway to be sure
Reply 16
Original post by Babyangelana
My doctor tells me if i moisturise my skin 4 times a day I will definitely see a difference. Is this true?

I imagine so. I generally have dry skin but I moisturise well, using good moisturisers. Ezcema used to be a problem for me, but that's no less no longer the case. I suspect it's to do with my skin care regimes.
Reply 17
Original post by Kindred
Let's see if we can get this going a bit again...
I've recently developed mild eczema which was discovered after having multiple ear infections (the main place I have eczema is in my ears and it triggers infections).
I seem to be fine with applying steroid cream if I feel any itching, but it's still early days. I also avoid soaps, bubble baths etc since I've always had somewhat sensitive skin so that may be helping.

Hi :smile:

I've had eczema all my life but it's generally not bad for the most part until I get flare ups which are usually on my face / eyelids.

I've not tried this but some people swear by going vegan ... obviously quite a drastic change but perhaps worth a try?

I'm vegetarian but eat normally. Also, have you tried Liz Earl skincare? For eczema especially on the face I've found their products have helped me a lot :smile:
Original post by ceri49
Hi :smile:

I've had eczema all my life but it's generally not bad for the most part until I get flare ups which are usually on my face / eyelids.

I've not tried this but some people swear by going vegan ... obviously quite a drastic change but perhaps worth a try?

I'm vegetarian but eat normally. Also, have you tried Liz Earl skincare? For eczema especially on the face I've found their products have helped me a lot :smile:

ooh eyelids must suck :s-smilie:
Thanks. I'll look into it.
Reply 19
Original post by Kindred
ooh eyelids must suck :s-smilie:
Thanks. I'll look into it.

Yeah haha, I've actually got a small bump / scar left on my eyelid now from when it last flared up! Doesn't happen often though thankfully :biggrin:

Latest