The Student Room Group

English wider reading?

I'm starting A Level English Literature soon and was wondering if any current students would recommend the sort of wider reading I could be doing at this stage?
Finished my A level in English Lit this year. I would say wider reading is less necessary in year one but can help in year 2. I would read about the author and some of their other texts as well as some critical articles online (can you tell I love english) and texts of the same period/style.

I would wait until you know the texts you will be studying/actually read them and what way you are assessed in them before you jump into wider reading that could be pointless!
Reply 2
Original post by Neddie001
Finished my A level in English Lit this year. I would say wider reading is less necessary in year one but can help in year 2. I would read about the author and some of their other texts as well as some critical articles online (can you tell I love english) and texts of the same period/style.

I would wait until you know the texts you will be studying/actually read them and what way you are assessed in them before you jump into wider reading that could be pointless!

Thanks! Don't worry, I love English too, for GCSE I read so many critical articles online for Jane Eyre and Macbeth (which did indeed pay off as I got two 9s!!). What texts did you study?
I did OCR English lit. I studied the tempest, Duchess of Malfi by Webster, Chaucer's merchant's tale, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, the Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter, the History Boys by Alan Bennett, Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier and some Thomas Hardy poetry
Honestly, A-Level is a completely new ball park to GCSE so any qs just PM me
Btw the critical articles are only helpful if you can apply to question and tick parts of the mark scheme off. Shoving them in because you think it makes you look clever is just pointless and annoys the examiner
Reply 4
Original post by e2014
I'm starting A Level English Literature soon and was wondering if any current students would recommend the sort of wider reading I could be doing at this stage?

I didn't do much wider reading and I agree that you should wait until you know the texts you're studying.
I did Aqa English Lit B and I got an A, so feel free to PM! :smile: English at A level was a great experience and I learned a lot about storytelling/Literature that is still relevant for me today. I hope you enjoy it and all the besttttt
all the best
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by e2014

Giving us an idea on either texts/authors/period/era would be the first start!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending