The Student Room Group

critical thinking help

the passage
"heavy punishments deter criminals. Current penalties for crimes are too lenient and don't deter criminals. Since poison sentences were reduced, crime has increased. Victims need to see that perpetrators of crimes are punished."

Spoiler

I'm struggling to categorise the last sentence " Victims need to see that perpetrators of crimes are punished." because i can see how it could be a conclusion but i can't find a reason as to why it's not.
Are you sure that is the whole passage?
Either I am sorry, I didn't exactly understand what you are saying in the post, you didn't make that much sense, and nor did the whole passage to some degree.

Also I assume you mean prison sentence and not poison sentence.

Firstly, I think the flaw in the argument is 'correlation doesn't imply causation', just because prison sentence were reduced doesn't mean that is the reason crime increased. It could be a increase in poverty etc.

Secondly, " Victims need to see that perpetrators of crimes are punished." is not the conclusion because it isn't being backed by the other reasons.

"heavy punishments deter criminals." therefore "victims need to see that perpetrators of crimes are punished." This does not make sense, therefore it is not the conclusion.
Reply 2
Original post by MADMANMALIK
Are you sure that is the whole passage?
Either I am sorry, I didn't exactly understand what you are saying in the post, you didn't make that much sense, and nor did the whole passage to some degree.

Also I assume you mean prison sentence and not poison sentence.

Firstly, I think the flaw in the argument is 'correlation doesn't imply causation', just because prison sentence were reduced doesn't mean that is the reason crime increased. It could be a increase in poverty etc.

Secondly, " Victims need to see that perpetrators of crimes are punished." is not the conclusion because it isn't being backed by the other reasons.

"heavy punishments deter criminals." therefore "victims need to see that perpetrators of crimes are punished." This does not make sense, therefore it is not the conclusion.

poison sentences must've been a typo in the book so it confused me and yeah that was the whole passage

okay thank you that makes sense

Quick Reply

Latest