The Student Room Group

Very IMPORTANT MARKING Question

The business studies (AQA) subject consists of three units: Unit 1, Unit 2 and Unit 3. Unit 3 is a controlled assessment so it is assessed/marked internally by my teacher. The other two units are marked by external examiners. My question is: For Unit 1 and Unit 2, would the same person have marked both units or would there have been two individuals marking each unit?

The reason I ask is because I have received a rather unusual low grade in the subject, both units having been given a similarly low grade. Now, I have either overestimated my ability in this subject for the 2 years I have studied it or it's an issue with the person marking my paper. So, I am considering a remark and would appreciate any advice and an answer to the question above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please tag anyone that might be helpful in answering this question. @_gcx
@Lemur14

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Moltenmo
The business studies (AQA) subject consists of three units: Unit 1, Unit 2 and Unit 3. Unit 3 is a controlled assessment so it is assessed/marked internally by my teacher. The other two units are marked by external examiners. My question is: For Unit 1 and Unit 2, would the same person have marked both units or would there have been two individuals marking each unit?

The reason I ask is because I have received a rather unusual low grade in the subject, both units having been given a similarly low grade. Now, I have either overestimated my ability in this subject for the 2 years I have studied it or it's an issue with the person marking my paper. So, I am considering a remark and would appreciate any advice and an answer to the question above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

@realitycheck
the first paper is multiple choice so couldn't have been marked wrong.what grade did you get.
Reply 4
Original post by annnnnonymous
the first paper is multiple choice so couldn't have been marked wrong.what grade did you get.

What are you talking about? None of it is multiple choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sorry. different exam board
Reply 6
It will be different examiners.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
It will be different examiners.

So the same examiner wouldn't have been assigned with my unit 1 and Unit 2 papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
So the same examiner wouldn't have been assigned with my unit 1 and Unit 2 papers?

It's rare for someone to be marking more than one paper.
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
It's rare for someone to be marking more than one paper.

Although that is true, are you certain that for business, the same examiner wasn't assigned to 2 units of a student? Essentially I am asking about what the AQA system is like, regarding marking of business studies papers. I need specific information regarding this subject and board.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

@RealityCheck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Marked by different people
Reply 12
Original post by Reece.W.J
Marked by different people

Are you certain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you certain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's just how it works. Like each sitting at each centre goes to different people. So everyone that did unit 1 at you school got marked by a different person than the person marking all the unit 2 papers from your centre
Reply 14
Yeah that's just how it works. Like each sitting at each centre goes to different people. So everyone that did unit 1 at you school got marked by a different person than the person marking all the unit 2 papers from your centre

In that case, do you think it's worth get a remark just based on the incentive that I was a 'natural ability' A* student in business studies that ended up with a B. Most will think I am crazy and being arrogant but I am truly baffled with my results in business studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In that case, do you think it's worth get a remark just based on the incentive that I was a 'natural ability' A* student in business studies that ended up with a B. Most will think I am crazy and being arrogant but I am truly baffled with my results in business studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get a B in unit 1&2?
Reply 16
Did you get a B in unit 1&2?

Yup, I did. I'll give some more insight. For the two years I have done the course, I have achieved nothing less than a A grade in every test and mock exam I have done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup, I did. I'll give some more insight. For the two years I have done the course, I have achieved nothing less than a A grade in every test and mock exam I have done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you looked into the boundaries? Are you closer to an A than the possibility of dropping to a C?
Reply 18
Have you looked into the boundaries? Are you closer to an A than the possibility of dropping to a C?

In one unit, I am quite close to the A, but in the other, I am slightly above the B borderline. I know, for a fact, that my grade will not go down if it was to be re-marked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In one unit, I am quite close to the A, but in the other, I am slightly above the B borderline. I know, for a fact, that my grade will not go down if it was to be re-marked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about overall including coursework

Quick Reply

Latest