Wow don't you think it's all a little to similar
Original post by h4leem3
should i pick up biology or sociology
my other subjects include philosophy and psychology

dont do the three "ologies"!! You might struggle to find a uni
Original post by H4leem3
Should I pick up biology or sociology
My other subjects include philosophy and psychology

Are you planning to go to university? If so, what course?
Both may be relevant if you're interested in Psychology - although there are some Psychology courses which require some scientific background, for which Biology would be preferable. If your interests are wholly on the social/behavioural side and you aren't considering e.g. Experiemental Psychology at Oxford or PBS at Cambridge, then Sociology is perfectly fine. For those courses, a science subject is a definite benefit in applying (however Oxford also has PPL, which given you're taking Philosophy at A-level may be more of interest - I'm not sure if they are as keen on a science background).
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
Are you planning to go to university? If so, what course?

I would like to do something psychology related maybe even a nursing degree or something along the lines of that I know the requirements are Atleast one science subject which allows psychology for the unis I would like to go to (York and Leeds) but I'm wondering if my subject choices would be seen as soft without biology.
Reply 6
Original post by iamthestudent
dont do the three "ologies"!! You might struggle to find a uni

What if I want to study psychology as a degree wouldn't the ologies be ideal?
Original post by H4leem3
I would like to do something psychology related maybe even a nursing degree or something along the lines of that I know the requirements are Atleast one science subject which allows psychology for the unis I would like to go to (York and Leeds) but I'm wondering if my subject choices would be seen as soft without biology.

The subjects you've chosen aren't "soft". Don't get too hung over this whole hard vs. soft thing.

Just make sure you meet the specific subject requirements for nursing, and you should be fine.
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Both may be relevant if you're interested in Psychology - although there are some Psychology courses which require some scientific background, for which Biology would be preferable. If your interests are wholly on the social/behavioural side and you aren't considering e.g. Experiemental Psychology at Oxford or PBS at Cambridge, then Sociology is perfectly fine. For those courses, a science subject is a definite benefit in applying (however Oxford also has PPL, which given you're taking Philosophy at A-level may be more of interest - I'm not sure if they are as keen on a science background).

As much as I would like to do the above I'm worried that my options won't be as open to be able to change my options if I would like
Original post by H4leem3
As much as I would like to do the above I'm worried that my options won't be as open to be able to change my options if I would like

?

I didn't indicate any specific action to be taken that you hadn't expressed a consideration of?
Reply 10
The subjects you've chosen aren't "soft". Don't get too hung over this whole hard vs. soft thing.

Just make sure you meet the specific subject requirements for nursing, and you should be fine.

So would unis not care about them as much as I have been worrying about them? Literally have changed my options several times because people keep telling me they're too soft or won't go together
Original post by H4leem3
So would unis not care about them as much as I have been worrying about them? Literally have changed my options several times because people keep telling me they're too soft or won't go together

They're not soft at all. In regards to "won't go together", I studied Biology at A-Level alongside Computer Science and Maths. Biology doesn't exactly fit right, but I still got into university for a CS degree.
Only do biology if you're certain you enjoy it and will have the motivation for it. I'm going into A2, it was by far my most heavily weighted subject, so much content, especially with the new alevels. However,I loved every minute of it and would recommend it, it's just not worth it if you're not fully in it, as it's so hard.
Reply 13
Original post by xchloeann
Only do biology if you're certain you enjoy it and will have the motivation for it. I'm going into A2, it was by far my most heavily weighted subject, so much content, especially with the new alevels. However,I loved every minute of it and would recommend it, it's just not worth it if you're not fully in it, as it's so hard.

I love biology but the units our school will be doing are my least favourite so that's why I'm not sure it was one of my highest grades out of my other GCSEs that I received too
Reply 14
They're not soft at all. In regards to "won't go together", I studied Biology at A-Level alongside Computer Science and Maths. Biology doesn't exactly fit right, but I still got into university for a CS degree.

Thanks for the advice& CS seems so interesting :biggrin:
Original post by H4leem3
I love biology but the units our school will be doing are my least favourite so that's why I'm not sure it was one of my highest grades out of my other GCSEs that I received too

What units will you be doing? If you love it and good and it then do it!
Reply 16
What units will you be doing? If you love it and good and it then do it!

During my GCSEs I really enjoyed looking at animal behaviour but the a level contains a lot of plant cell and energy transfer stuff and that always put me off otherwise I feel like biology is really interesting as you learn about things that are relevant to life
Original post by H4leem3
During my GCSEs I really enjoyed looking at animal behaviour but the a level contains a lot of plant cell and energy transfer stuff and that always put me off otherwise I feel like biology is really interesting as you learn about things that are relevant to life

Yeah I understand, if you don't mind me asking, what exam board will you be doing? I did OCR Biology A I've finished AS and going on to A2 now
Reply 18
Yeah I understand, if you don't mind me asking, what exam board will you be doing? I did OCR Biology A I've finished AS and going on to A2 now

Aqa I think
Original post by H4leem3
Aqa I think

Do it, I think you'll enjoy it!

Quick Reply

Latest