The Student Room Group

International student, need help

Not exactly an "everyday issue" but still.
I'm an Iraqi student who recently finished highschool in here, and I'm planning to attend university in Britain.
Courses and fees are a problem, but then Visa is another.
I need to take the IELTS or TOEFL exam to apply for a Visa.
I checked both, they're both full in all of Iraq until like 2018.

I need to start university in 2017-2018, if I wait a whole year I'll be stuck in an Iraqi university because of family.
Reply 1
How were you not aware of the exam earlier?
Not sure what else you can do except try to take them in another country if possible.
Otherwise you can try deferring entry for the 2018/19 school year and volunteer or get a job where you live until then.
Original post by Arrhy
Not exactly an "everyday issue" but still.
I'm an Iraqi student who recently finished highschool in here, and I'm planning to attend university in Britain.
Courses and fees are a problem, but then Visa is another.
I need to take the IELTS or TOEFL exam to apply for a Visa.
I checked both, they're both full in all of Iraq until like 2018.

I need to start university in 2017-2018, if I wait a whole year I'll be stuck in an Iraqi university because of family.

Hi @Arrhy

Have you considered the Pearson Test of English Academic? I don't know if they do have any available test dates but it is worth checking.

Also check that the University that you are applying for accepts PTE, some do (at the University of Bradford we accept it for degree level entry but not for foundation entry), but some may not.

I hope that helps :goodluck:

Shelley
Reply 3
Thank you for that, but unfortunately:

"Please note that from 6 April 2015 PTE Academic cannot be used to prove English language ability as part of a UK visa application. Tests taken on or before 5 April 2015 will continue to be accepted by the UK Home Office until 5 November 2015."

A lot of universities still accept it, but it's not accepted while applying for Visa, unfortunately.
Original post by Arrhy
Thank you for that, but unfortunately:

"Please note that from 6 April 2015 PTE Academic cannot be used to prove English language ability as part of a UK visa application. Tests taken on or before 5 April 2015 will continue to be accepted by the UK Home Office until 5 November 2015."

A lot of universities still accept it, but it's not accepted while applying for Visa, unfortunately.

Hi @Arrhy

Higher Education Institutes can accept different types of English test (not just a SELT) if the student is entering into a degree level course. This is a quote from the UKVI website:

"HEIs can choose how to assess a student’s knowledge of English. They must still be at:

- CEFR level B2 if you’re studying at a degree level or higher

- SELT in reading, writing, listening and speaking and CEFR level B1 if you’re not studying at a degree level"

As such you can use PTE to get a visa - so long as you are going to study at a UK HEI on a degree level programme.

Here at Bradford we accept PTE academic for degree level study, and international students can use this to obtain their visa.

I hope this helps,

Shelley
Reply 5
Capture.PNG I've sent this to the University of Bradford, but they have yet to respond. It's been a few days, and honestly, I don't have much time left. I'm not sure why they haven't responded yet.
Original post by Arrhy
Capture.PNG I've sent this to the University of Bradford, but they have yet to respond. It's been a few days, and honestly, I don't have much time left. I'm not sure why they haven't responded yet.

Hi,
Sorry for my slow reply - it's been a holiday in the UK on Monday.

Can you forward your email to me on [email protected] and I'll follow it up right away?

Thanking you,

Shelley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending