The Student Room Group

Martial Art for small female

So I'm a 17 year old female (5ft 1 - quite sure I've stopped growing) that is quite skinny but surprisingly relatively strong considering my small frame. I'm looking to start a martial art, partially for self defence and also for a few other reasons but I'm struggling to decide on which one would be particularly suited for me considering the height disadvantage I'm always going to have. I've looked into martial arts focusing on this but many I have seen people claiming that they don't work or in fact aren't suited to my size after all and I don't want to end up choosing one that won't help me in the future. So yeah, any experts or people with general knowledge on this sort of topic able to give me any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

You should play rugby - one season if women's rugby will do you more good than 10 years of Kung fu.
Probably Ju Jitsu or something along those lines
You're so little there is no martial art which is going to help you. The best sport you can take up is the 100m sprint.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
You're so little there is no martial art which is going to help you. The best sport you can take up is the 100m sprint.

Not exactly the sort of response I was looking for but hey at least you're honest. How lucky I happen to be a great sprinter :tongue:
Original post by Angry cucumber
Probably Ju Jitsu or something along those lines

Yeah I was considering Brazilian Jiu Jitsu since that seems to sound like the most effective one out there.
Kick Boxing. There was many small people in my old classes.
At 5 ft 1 you're unlikely to have the build that would make you excel at martial arts; when faced with danger you can only really run as fast as you can, though the ability to stun the perpetrator with a quick hit is always good :wink:
Probably BJJ. At your age, you'd have a chance of becoming a black belt by your mid-20s.
Original post by shawn_o1
At 5 ft 1 you're unlikely to have the build that would make you excel at martial arts; when faced with danger you can only really run as fast as you can, though the ability to stun the perpetrator with a quick hit is always good :wink:

So you're saying my size will hold me back from excelling in any martial art I choose? What about the ones supposedly designed for smaller people such as Wing chun or BJJ? Just curious because it's really hard to differentiate between myth and fact when researching. You could be right but I'd rather not think my options to be *that* limited.
Wing chun was supposedly developed by a woman, so is often thought to be particularly good. Anything incorporating chin na is good for skill > strength tactics. That and some trad parkour skills (not tricking before anyone starts...) should get you out of most scrapes!
Reply 11
Definitely aikido. I do aikido but the guys there also teach self defence. It's meant to be one of the most peaceful martial arts but it's a lot about learning about the body, how to break joints quickly, working against other people's balance breakers, ripping tendons, learning to breakfall, how to choke people out, etc. I'm small and have been doing it since October and can take down some quite big guys now. But def make sure you find a "normal" self defence class too, a lot of the time it's knowing how to cope in difficult situations and de-escalating them. Also, aikido is a LOT of fun, some of it is more about the artform but some is transferable skills. Depends on the sensei!
Original post by meli-b
Definitely aikido. I do aikido but the guys there also teach self defence. It's meant to be one of the most peaceful martial arts but it's a lot about learning about the body, how to break joints quickly, working against other people's balance breakers, ripping tendons, learning to breakfall, how to choke people out, etc. I'm small and have been doing it since October and can take down some quite big guys now. But def make sure you find a "normal" self defence class too, a lot of the time it's knowing how to cope in difficult situations and de-escalating them. Also, aikido is a LOT of fun, some of it is more about the artform but some is transferable skills. Depends on the sensei!

Aikido is ****. Don't do it.
Reply 13
Aikido is ****. Don't do it.

I've been to some absolute **** classes, really hippy dippy stuff, but that's the case with all different types of martial arts too. My aikido class is more self defence mixed with aikido. A lot of the guys at my class also do boxing or kickboxing, krav maga, tai chi (the martial art not the meditation style). We have a couple of army guys in too. Lots have used aikido and self defence in real life situations and street fights.

I would suggest (to the OP) that you go along to as many different martial art classes near you as possible, it really depends on the teacher as all variants are different. Normally the first session is free anywhere you go, too! Good luck, hope you find something helpful and fun!
Original post by meli-b
I've been to some absolute **** classes, really hippy dippy stuff, but that's the case with all different types of martial arts too. My aikido class is more self defence mixed with aikido. A lot of the guys at my class also do boxing or kickboxing, krav maga, tai chi (the martial art not the meditation style). We have a couple of army guys in too. Lots have used aikido and self defence in real life situations and street fights.

I would suggest (to the OP) that you go along to as many different martial art classes near you as possible, it really depends on the teacher as all variants are different. Normally the first session is free anywhere you go, too! Good luck, hope you find something helpful and fun!

If you're mixing with real self-defence, then you're set. However, raw aikido is unfortunately not legitimate and if you try to flip a 100kg man with a flick of his wrist, you are going to be in a lot of trouble. As others have mentioned in this thread, the best idea is to kick to the nuts and run. No fighting nonsense.

Aikido is a fun pastime, a bit like yoga. But Steven Seagal has a 7th degree black belt in it ... which tells you enough about the art.
Reply 15
If you're mixing with real self-defence, then you're set. However, raw aikido is unfortunately not legitimate and if you try to flip a 100kg man with a flick of his wrist, you are going to be in a lot of trouble. As others have mentioned in this thread, the best idea is to kick to the nuts and run. No fighting nonsense.

Aikido is a fun pastime, a bit like yoga. But Steven Seagal has a 7th degree black belt in it ... which tells you enough about the art.

Have you practised aikido before? A lot of the wrist things like kotegaeshi, we fall down because otherwise our wrist would break. Nikkyo is surprising painful so people drop to their knees, it stretches the tendons in their wrist until they snap. That's why it looks like people are doing barely anything. But, rarely will you be in a situation where you have to get out of a wrist hold like that. We have a lot of nut kicking miming going on in class but the best tips from aikido class I was given was to break people's noses with your elbow, or break their knees, sliding your foot down against the side of their leg. Aikido is really fun as well though, it's a brilliant art. Don't mention Steven Seagal, we try to ignore him lol. Don't know where you're from but if it's South West England you can come along to our class for free to try it out if you're ever interested in it!
Original post by meli-b
Have you practised aikido before? A lot of the wrist things like kotegaeshi, we fall down because otherwise our wrist would break. Nikkyo is surprising painful so people drop to their knees, it stretches the tendons in their wrist until they snap. That's why it looks like people are doing barely anything. But, rarely will you be in a situation where you have to get out of a wrist hold like that. We have a lot of nut kicking miming going on in class but the best tips from aikido class I was given was to break people's noses with your elbow, or break their knees, sliding your foot down against the side of their leg. Aikido is really fun as well though, it's a brilliant art. Don't mention Steven Seagal, we try to ignore him lol. Don't know where you're from but if it's South West England you can come along to our class for free to try it out if you're ever interested in it!

It looks fun. More of a BJJ man myself.
kickboxing or muay thai would be good for you. both are practical in a real life situation calling for self defence.
Reply 18
It looks fun. More of a BJJ man myself.

We have a woman in my class who also does BJJ! I've always wanted to try that, looks awesome, so far I've only tried Krav Maga and kickboxing
Original post by meli-b
We have a woman in my class who also does BJJ! I've always wanted to try that, looks awesome, so far I've only tried Krav Maga and kickboxing

Krav Maga is probably the most impressive looking haha. Sheer insanity to be honest. It works for Gal Gadot too, and she doesn't look to be struggling.

What did you learn in KM? I imagine the first thing they teach you is how to disarm a man holding an assault rifle or something. How to safely detonate a grenade.

Quick Reply

Latest