The Student Room Group

Emirates06's Summer Bucket List!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40

Welcome!

So after my driving test, my utmost priority was to get my scrapbook up and running! So I went to Asda to buy some essentials for my scrapbook :ahee:. Most importantly what you need is: A scrapbook of course!:afro:

Shopping done! Some little additions to the scrapbook bought! Now let’s get onto building the scrapbook.:work:

So using printed inspirational words, I added this to my scrapbook :yep:. I’ve decided to create a ‘Life Lessons’ page where I will be adding Life lessons regularly into my scrapbook :youbetcha:. I also added a Yellow Ribbon to the page which compliments the page quite well.:yy:

As it is a ‘scrapbook’- I wanted to make it feel more like a scrapbook :zorro:rather than a brand new book bought from Asda. So, I used a teabag wiped along the page to make it look old and worn. I like it this way- it looks way cooler! :xmasgrin:

I also have ribbons, stickers and banners which I will add to it! I have also bought string which I will decorate around the edges of the pages. I could also use the string to create French plaits and colour them into different colours which will be awesome once on the page!:whip::wink2:

Future projects:

1. The ‘Transformation of me’ page - Adding baby photos vs. current photos of me today and see the transformation over time.:troll2::viking::turban:

2. Logos- I am crazy about logos. So I will be adding logos to the scrapbook and it will be interesting to see whether these logos change hundred years time… I hope I’m alive! :tsr2:

3. Photography- Adds memory of my trips, exploring and my photography in general! :train2:

So, I will be adding to the scrapbook over time. If there is a super cool addition or outside the box page I have created, I will share this with you once again here! :tongue::smile:

Thanks for reading!

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 41

Hello! :wavey: I hope you are well.

Today we decided to go to Eastbourne beach :woo:. Initially we were planning on going to Whipsnade Zoo today, however my sister also wanted to go but was working today, so we decided to go to Eastbourne instead. :zomg:

We left nice and early giving us enough time to reach Eastbourne. :turtle: Suprisingly, it only took us 2 hours, :vroam:I was expecting it would be at least 2 and half hours given its situated at the southern coast. :troll:

We went to Lulworth Cove first- which was amazing. The view was incredible and the smooth clear water was mesmerising to say the least! :top2:

We stayed on the beach and went for a little walk around the large hill just off the coast.:tongue: To watch over the cove from above was incredible! I haven’t been to the beach in a long time. I’ve been once and that was when I was 6 years old, so to grab a beautiful day to go on was great! :thumbsup::ta:

We then had lunch and had some great food: :eating:

Spoiler

I wanted to walk all the way to the Durdle Door beach just off Eastbourne :elmo:- but given the distance, my parents decided to take the car as it would be difficult to walk back given we would be knackered! I disagreed, given we had the beautiful view around us, it would have been great! :daydreaming::closedeyes:

But we did get to the beach and it was awesome. When you are looking from above, there are two stairways leading to the Durdle Door beach or the Man O’Wear beach :flower2:. Here are some pictures:

Loved the trip! And of course, as I love long journeys the way back was also great given my phone was on a high percentage :mute::nutcase: (some say miracle… I say battery packs!) And I had my headphones!:p:

I think we can safely say we went to 3 different beaches! :giggle: Lulworth cove, Durdle Door beach and Man’o wear beach:pal:. Loved it! :grouphugs:

Thanks for reading :kungfu:

P.s. All the photos here (and in all other blogs) I have taken myself- I hope you like them!

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 42
Hello again!

Just a quick update blog! Tomorrow is the day of the competition! :tongue: The competition is to sing religious songs and nasheeds (praise of the prophets). These are pretty cool; given some religious songs are poetry written by quite famous poets!

I used to participate in quite a lot songs competition when I was young. I was so inspired (I still am) and have this ‘umph’ about singing songs. I loved them- I look upto my uncle whose voice is magnificent.:wink:

These competitions are hosted by our local radio station. When I was young, I used to win quite a few competitions- scoring 1st, 2nd and 3rd places- this motivated me to read more. :smile: As you get older, I think you learn it’s not about winning and receiving a physical prize but participating and adding value which I strive for in everything I do :wink:. But with that being said, I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s event! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Emirates06

Hello again!

Just a quick update blog! Tomorrow is the day of the competition! :tongue: The competition is to sing religious songs and nasheeds (praise of the prophets). These are pretty cool; given some religious songs are poetry written by quite famous poets!

I used to participate in quite a lot songs competition when I was young. I was so inspired (I still am) and have this ‘umph’ about singing songs. I loved them- I look upto my uncle whose voice is magnificent.:wink:

These competitions are hosted by our local radio station. When I was young, I used to win quite a few competitions- scoring 1st, 2nd and 3rd places- this motivated me to read more. :smile: As you get older, I think you learn it’s not about winning and receiving a physical prize but participating and adding value which I strive for in everything I do :wink:. But with that being said, I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s event! :smile:

Break a leg!!!! I'm rooting for you!
Reply 44
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
Break a leg!!!! I'm rooting for you!

Hey Jinkx Monsoon! Thanks :smile:
Reply 45

THE BIG JOB HUNT

The job hunt is finally over. I am happy to say I have been offered a job at Biffa! :dance::cry2::crazy:

Biffa is a waste solutions company dealing with business (and residential) waste at a national level. They are 2nd in waste removal rankings with Veolia competing at 1st! :albertein:

Everything from the application to the job offer with Biffa has been so paced! :run: Even now, I still have not heard back from Waitrose yet! (I got rejected by Wilkinsons and Starbucks) :sadnod:

I applied for this job on Indeed (I think on Monday). On the same day, I received a unplanned call from Dan enquiring why I wished to join the business and what I knew about the business :woo:. As I knew upon very basic research, I replied fairly with a good response to his on the spot questions. On the next day, I was offered to attend an interview. As I got more background information regarding the job and meeting the team, I felt this was a job for me as the atmosphere, vibe and workload was perfect for me personally! :sub2: The 1-to-1 interview went very well- I was relaxed and engaging. :smile:

I was handed a maths test to complete which lasted half an hour. All in all, the entire interview lasted approx. 1 hour- 1 and half hour.:sick:

I received a call quite early by Dan today- however I missed the call :sigh:( as I stayed up all night to watch the Mayweather vs. Mcgregor fight in the morning! Great fight I must add! :rolleyes:). I did call Dan back- expecting a rejection as per usual. But it definitely caught me by surprise as I was offered the job. :rambo:

In the interview, they stated they are hiring 1 person- So I was so so happy they chose me. I feel so relieved. A good chunk of the holidays has been eaten but nonetheless I can now say I have a job!! :pirate3:

I cannot wait to start working. :smile:

p.s. I don't have a contract yet to take a photo of, so the cover photo of the Biffa bins from the website will have to do for now. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Emirates06

THE BIG JOB HUNT

The job hunt is finally over. I am happy to say I have been offered a job at Biffa! :dance::cry2::crazy:

Biffa is a waste solutions company dealing with business (and residential) waste at a national level. They are 2nd in waste removal rankings with Veolia competing at 1st! :albertein:

Everything from the application to the job offer with Biffa has been so paced! :run: Even now, I still have not heard back from Waitrose yet! (I got rejected by Wilkinsons and Starbucks) :sadnod:

I applied for this job on Indeed (I think on Monday). On the same day, I received a unplanned call from Dan enquiring why I wished to join the business and what I knew about the business :woo:. As I knew upon very basic research, I replied fairly with a good response to his on the spot questions. On the next day, I was offered to attend an interview. As I got more background information regarding the job and meeting the team, I felt this was a job for me as the atmosphere, vibe and workload was perfect for me personally! :sub2: The 1-to-1 interview went very well- I was relaxed and engaging. :smile:

I was handed a maths test to complete which lasted half an hour. All in all, the entire interview lasted approx. 1 hour- 1 and half hour.:sick:

I received a call quite early by Dan today- however I missed the call :sigh:( as I stayed up all night to watch the Mayweather vs. Mcgregor fight in the morning! Great fight I must add! :rolleyes:). I did call Dan back- expecting a rejection as per usual. But it definitely caught me by surprise as I was offered the job. :rambo:

In the interview, they stated they are hiring 1 person- So I was so so happy they chose me. I feel so relieved. A good chunk of the holidays has been eaten but nonetheless I can now say I have a job!! :pirate3:

I cannot wait to start working. :smile:

p.s. I don't have a contract yet to take a photo of, so the cover photo of the Biffa bins from the website will have to do for now. :smile:

Congrats on the job :h:
Reply 47
Original post by qasim_96
Congrats on the job :h:

Hey thanks. I appreciate it Qasim! :wink:
Reply 48
Welcome!

So today was the competition :K:! The results are....

1st place :king1:- Not me

2nd place :king2:- Not me again

3rd place :king3:- Not me again!

I didn't win :angelblush:, but with that being the event was amazing :awesome:. It was so electrifying and the atmosphere was great. I must give credit to those who sang, they sang really well! :^_^: There are two types of competitions: 1. for Children: upto 18 and 2. for Adults: 18+

Since I was 18, I was placed into the adult category. There were people with a talent and a beautiful voice. So I do think those that won definitely deserved to win. :borat:

But I am happy I was part of the event and the event went great! :bumps: Bring on next year! I can fairly say I have had my fair share of winning either 1st 2nd or 3rd in the past :congrats::embarrassed:, so it thinks its fair for others to win :rolleyes:. But with that being said, I am still really competitive!:rambo:

But every cloud has a silver lining. So on the positive side, I have been offered a job today. So, I am so grateful and thankful! :adore::cracker:

Thanks for reading. Night

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 49
Oh! I forgot to write what my new job involves! :doh::giggle:

I will be a Customer Service Representative dealing with customer enquiries (internal and external).

:smile:
Congrats on the job!

Do you have any hints on getting one? I've been rejected by almost 30 different places (including ones like M&S and Costa)
Reply 51
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Congrats on the job!

Do you have any hints on getting one? I've been rejected by almost 30 different places (including ones like M&S and Costa)

Hey thanks EstelOfTheEyrie! Btw, I love your username!

I know the feeling, I've applied to so many jobs, its literally hit me how hard it is to get a job. Straight after GCSEs, I applied to my first job and got it straight away- but applying now I comprehend how difficult it is.

Be engaging and bold in interviews- ask questions.
Appreciate their business- e.g. I applied because this is a well-established business with great customer focus...- Businesses love when you compliment them and I think a big must is to know about the business (revenue, and perhaps unique facts which impresses businesses a lot- e.g. Biffa was awarded by Queen for Innovation and excellence.
Know your answers to questions- I like to check online e.g. for starbucks or Costa- people tend to post interview Q&A's which is quite handy to look through.
Also list your achievements, I.e. Being a prefect at school (work your answers around this.. i.e. one difficult time I faced was when there was a charity fun day and there were other prefects off- so I had to cover in and ensure all jobs were completed. ( don't be afraid to over-exaggerate some things- no one will check! :wink:)

But the main thing is to be really enthusiastic and confident about the job- if you cant, then act you are. I didn't do ICT/Business in A level and I do not have any experience in call taking/ computer skills (apart from the basics) and I was still offered the job- so it goes to show its not all about experience, but its about YOU as a person

Best thing is to ask for feedback from every interview- (after rejection or success) this will help understand what didn't go so well- and it helps to see if there is a trend and if its just something that needs improvement (this is really useful!)

Wishing you the very best in your job hunt- I hope this was useful! :smile:
Reply 52

Today we went to Whipsnade Zoo. The journey time was pretty good, given it took under an hour. We've been to Luton quite a few times, so Dunstable is near Luton which meant it wouldn't take too long.

9.30am
We didn't leave home until half 9. The view was great so the journey on the way was great. Great start to a bank holiday Monday!
10.45am
We arrived and were through the gates by quarter to 11. Not to say, I had to go back to the car to get my jacket, given the British weather is very unpredictable, so I took it with me just in case.
Each of us got a map and together we toured around the Zoo which pretty cool seeing all the different animals on site. First we went over to the Lemars; they were pretty cool, especially the little ones who were pretty cute. We saw a European Bison whilst the other you could just see in the closure. We walked over to the Giraffes, actually seeing them you can appreciate how tall they are!

Spoiler

We left 'Africa' and walked towards 'Asia'. My little sister loves colour pink; so it was nice to see a large smile on her face when she saw pink Flamingos!

Spoiler

We also saw Elephants on the way. We didn't get to see any Tigers or Bears which I was looking forward too. At one point over the bridge, we could see a glimpse of yellow in the bushes- which was a Tiger but as we stood there, the tiger didn't want to come out. Its understanding, given its a bank holiday he may just want to have a lie-in!

Spoiler

Spoiler

I did also see an ostrich! Its fair to say, I don't think I got the Ostrich's consent as it nearly bit my head off near the gate as it wasn't too happy to greet me! Lesson learnt, consent is essential!

Spoiler

The pelicans were pretty cool! I saw them too! As we were passing, Initially I didn't realise we were passing Pelicans until my mum pointed it out to me.

Spoiler

2.30pm
We had lunch at the benches near the butterfly house. We had home-made wraps which was pretty nice and it was pretty nice sitting and relaxing with the family. Of course, now I have data on my phone, there was always time for snapchatting and social media!
3.20pm
On our way to see more of the incredible animals present at Whipsnade zoo, we saw a group of Hares (or it could've been rabbits- I couldn't tell the difference) sat on the hill. Anyway as we walked across we saw a various animals all across 'Europe' and Africa'.

Spoiler

5.50pm
Time flew past! I cannot remember which part of the zoo we were at this point- but we were quite far, and as it was nearly closing time, my mum was very cautious of the time and us getting trapped in the Zoo- which I stated that would be great, but of course reassuring we'd never get that amazing opportunity to stay. The response by my elder sister was 'I'm sure the monkeys wouldn't mind welcoming an addition to the family'. :laugh::noway: Of which everyone laughed!
6.15am
Out the gate and off back onto the road! We had an incredible time, it was an fun family-day out. I'd like to think everyone enjoyed themselves, so yeah it was great!

Whipsnade Train:

Hippo:

:p:):redface:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 53

Today we have planned to go camping. But there are some changes to the plan :redface:

Instead of asking my friends to camp with I decided to ask my sister instead. I made the ultimate executive decision as its much easier to have my sister (and of course you guessed it... less awkward- but lets not mention that! :colondollar:). I decided to camp out today as the weather is cool and breezy. We also have a trampoline in the back garden- so if the floor is uncomfortable to sleep in- we could head over to the trampoline (we also have a sleeping bag in hand just in case). :leaf:

Spoiler

We have our phone torches as well as 2 solar powered lamps which we placed outside near the duvets :smile:. I feel like we are 2 animals out in the wild :koala:and I can imagine David Attenborough's voice in the background being like 'Right, shushh if we just look over there * points out* - we have the Female Asian Tiger just behind with what looks like object consisting of a piece of taut, strong fabric stretched over a steel frame (aka trampoline); and if we just point the camera over to 10 oclock angle we can see the Bengal Tiger resting :lazy:'. Magnificent! The nature at its optimum!'

Sorry guys, I had to.. I simply had to give you a David Attenborough speech there! :laugh: David Attenborough is great! :kungfu:

However, we can always resort to inside into the attic where its decorated with glow in the dark stars around the ceiling with two windows wide open- so I'm sure we could somehow adjust and feel we are outside with the breezy air and sleeping under the stars :wink:!

Spoiler

Camping outside was set up but we will camp inside if we can't camp outside (Don't rain! :wink:) :lockstock:

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 54
OFFICIAL COUNTDOWN

I have 5 more activities!! Let the countdown Begin:

Tasks:

I have 2 pending activities and 3 activities which I am yet to complete:

Feeding the poor
Learn to play the instrument

Watch Wardogs
Make My family Smile
Start Preparing for University
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 55

Today I have completed two activities! Whoop!:crazy:

Learning to play the instrument has been pending for quite a while. It's taken a little while to perfect the song, I have been working on it- and finally I think I have the hang of it! :dance: So, since my last update, I can finally say I have learnt Frere Jacquere ( it did take a little while but we got there in the end!) :facepalm::absinth::wink:

Starter Pack- Frere Jacquere

So I followed the lyrics to learn Frere Jacquere which is:

CDEC (x2) EFG (x2) GAGFEC (x2) CGC (x2)

These lyrics read as:

Frere Jacques, Frere Jacques,
Dormez-vous? Dormez-vous?
Sonnez les matines, sonnez les matinesDing dang dong, ding dang dong.
These translate as:

Are you sleeping, are you sleeping?
Brother John, Brother John?
Morning bells are ringing, morning bells are ringing
Ding dang dong, ding dang dong.

I found the instructions here: Click here.
This made it much easier for me to learn- with its breakdown of the lyrics and piano instructions!

So, I decided to create a video to show you how the song is going (there are little errors, but lets just swiftly dismiss that :wink:):

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 56

Hello. Time for round 2 for another blog!

So, today I completed the ‘Feeding the poor experiment. I think this is very important given in our day and age, especially I’ve seen in myself lately, we always seem to focus on ourselves and looking for ways to grow ourselves and prosper in life. But perhaps we should look over our shoulder, because we need to help each other; to grow together.

Today was a real eye-opener for me without a doubt.

As part of my activity ‘Feeding the poor’ I went to Poundland to buy some food to give to a homeless person who are regularly sat in the town centre- in fact there are a few locations where I see poor people, but the most I’ve only seen are 2-3.

I went to town at 5pm (which was quite late- given I should have been there at lunchtime), so I bought a few snacks like Chocolates and drinks:

When I went to buy the food, I did see a homeless person sat outside, however by the time I got back, he was no longer there but his belongings were present and his empty box for money. So I placed food and left.

I walked around town, I wasn’t able to see any other homeless person, but I came across another homeless person on my path. I went to this person to give him a drink and some food, and the first thing he asked was ‘how are you’, ‘how’s everything- everything good’, and after I gave him the food and drink he said ‘may god bless you’. I was bewildered given the circumstances, he was so humble and down to earth- a very genuine person which was apparent from the person’s attitude- he truly amazed me. I walked away with guilt and hopelessness that I am unable to do more for this person.

Despite having nothing apart from a tent and a few bottles of water piled up, this man was so grateful and sometimes I think things we have in our ‘normal’ but in actual fact ‘luxury’ life like clean water, a warm home, a loving family and variety of food on the table, we simply take everything for granted.

I know this experiment was very small-scale, but this has definetly helped me see a different perspective to things and it shows having what we call ‘a normal, boring, average’ day is luxury to what others dream for and we need to strive to help each other even if its small-scale.

I’ve never done this before, hence why I wished to try this and I was inspired by Youtube videos online, but the satisfaction of helping others is an absolute great feeling.

Today has been very educational and I have learnt a lot from today. Why walk away from a person with nothing, but go to the nearest shop and buy something as little as water or a warm-dinner for the homeless. Because at the end of the day somewhere, some point in life, karma will return and it will repay you beyond expectations in life!
Reply 57
OFFICIAL COUNTDOWN!!

I have 3 pending activities:

1. Make My family Smile
2. Watch Wardogs
3. Start Preparing for University
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 58
I just want to put it out there- the piano I used to play Frere Jacques was my little sisters :cool::laugh:
I thought I may use resources present! Why not eh?

When I play the video back, It feels quite awkward, I don't know why.. but I hope you enjoyed it! :colondollar:

* Cringe Alert!*
Reply 59

Welcome. :hello:

Today I have started building the foundation of university experience! :hellloo: I have started collecting essentials for university. I have just over 1 month and 2 weeks to start planning for university. :innocent:

Let's admit, I'm not the most organised person in the world when it comes to planning. I nearly always may leave out the most essential thing or start planning too late :mute:, leaving me simply hopeless. So this time, I am coming in organised. :medieval:

First I created a checklist which I started creating today and I will add onto this each day and tick this off as I gather my things for university:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I still need to buy pens, colours and other stationary from online. I will also be taking books with me, fiction and non-fiction. :moon: The books here are do not directly link with my course, but I was gifted this by someone I know and I did start reading 'unlocking the mysteries to cancer' and its so interesting; so I will be taking this with me. I will be buying more books in the meantime as well lots and lots of things to add to the list. :ninja:

Spoiler

Spoiler

A great idea I thought is to see other checklist others have created online and add some things to my checklist that I may have forgot to add! :o:

So yep, let the preparations begin! :p:

P.s. I will also be taking movies, of course! I'm thinking about taking the hunger games to watch, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE hunger games!:nutcase: Is there anyone else who also loves hunger games? Let me know :party2:

:penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply