The Student Room Group

A-Level choices for Computer Science

xxx
(edited 6 years ago)
Congratulations on a great set of results.

Imperial lists both physics and economics as 'very useful A-Levels'. It seems likely that they are therefore considered equal in the application process.

As for Cambridge, their website states that some colleges require three maths/science subjects - which I doubt includes economics. For Computer Science with Mathematics some colleges require physics.

In summary: you can get into both without doing physics. If you have your eyes on a specific college in Cambridge it may be necessary.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Hydrogen-7
Congratulations on a great set of results.

Imperial lists both physics and economics as 'very useful A-Levels'. It seems likely that they are therefore considered equal in the application process.

As for Cambridge, their website states that some colleges require three maths/science subjects - which I doubt includes economics. For Computer Science with Mathematics some colleges require physics.

In summary: you can get into both without doing physics. If you have your eyes on a specific college in Cambridge it may be necessary.

Thanks for your response.

Do you know how I can find out exactly which colleges require 3 sciences and which do not?
Original post by JackP_

Do you know how I can find out exactly which colleges require 3 sciences and which do not?

Unfortunately not. I haven't looked into Cambridge much, especially now that I have a B in Further Maths on my record haha
Original post by JackP_

Each college has details about their entry requirement for each course on their website.
If you're lucky there can be a list of the university's undergraduate admission page for such things, also on the department's.

Actually, you can get all necessary (and correct) information on those official sites. That's they're there for.
Read them thoroughly, and if you Have more questions, you can come back here and ask it. :smile:
Reply 5
Still pondering this, would be great if anyone who is currently studying Computer Science at University could give me some insight, thanks.
Original post by JackP_
Hello, today I received my GCSE results (9A*s and 2As) which I am very happy with.

However, I am not too sure if my A-Level choices are optimal for taking Computer Science at either Cambridge or Imperial College London.

My current choices are Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, Economics.

Would it be best to switch Economics to Physics? Or does it not really matter? I think I would enjoy Economics more, but if Physics would help me get in then I may do that instead.

Thanks!

Physics could be more beneficial
Reply 7
Original post by Reece.W.J
Physics could be more beneficial

Do you think they would accept one applicant over another purely because they studied Physics, while the other did not?

Also, I understand that Physics is loosely related to Computer Science, but why is it really so beneficial if I'm already doing double maths?
Original post by JackP_
Do you think they would accept one applicant over another purely because they studied Physics, while the other did not?

Also, I understand that Physics is loosely related to Computer Science, but why is it really so beneficial if I'm already doing double maths?

I don't think they would choose someone with physics over economics it's just physics is harder and you're aiming for a prestigious uni
Original post by JackP_

I think on the one hand Physics might give you a more "scientific" approach, and on the other Econ might train your formal essay writing skills. I did Maths+FM, History and Physics in Year 12, disliked Physics, will most likely drop it as I have my AS and don't need 4 A2s, and an Oxford admissions tutor said dropping it would not impact my ability to make a competitive application. The core of Maths+FM is even more important than CompSci, and I'd say picking Econ, especially since you're more comfortable with it, would round off your application nicely. I really don't believe Physics is all too beneficial, though I would recommend emailing some admissions tutors from unis this week to find out (I emailed university staff from 3 or 4 institutions and they replied to me within 2 days).
Reply 10
Original post by JackP_
Hello, today I received my GCSE results (9A*s and 2As) which I am very happy with.

However, I am not too sure if my A-Level choices are optimal for taking Computer Science at either Cambridge or Imperial College London.

Would it be best to switch Economics to Physics? Or does it not really matter? I think I would enjoy Economics more, but if Physics would help me get in then I may do that instead.

Thanks!

About to start at cambridge for compsci and I did Maths,FM,Compsci and Physics. I would say that physics is definitely seen as better than economics for a compsci course, but Maths+FM are the main two.

In terms of how useful the subjects are I would rank them
Maths > FM > Compsci > Economics
vs
Maths > FM > Physics > Compsci

(They don't seem to really value a compsci A level)

But yeah my advice would be to take physics over economics
Original post by JackP_

Thanks!

I don't think it matters much. Maths and Further Maths are the key subjects. If you've got them and either Physics or Computer Science, I don't think they will care what the fourth subject is (and Economics is fairly relevant anyway).
Reply 12
Original post by Tryfan99
About to start at cambridge for compsci and I did Maths,FM,Compsci and Physics. I would say that physics is definitely seen as better than economics for a compsci course, but Maths+FM are the main two.

In terms of how useful the subjects are I would rank them
Maths > FM > Compsci > Economics
vs
Maths > FM > Physics > Compsci

(They don't seem to really value a compsci A level)

But yeah my advice would be to take physics over economics

Thank you for your insight.

Do you have any other advice I can take to maximise my chances?
Reply 13
Does anyone know if there is any way of obtaining the statistics of what A-Levels successful CompSci Cambridge applicants took?
Original post by JackP_
Does anyone know if there is any way of obtaining the statistics of what A-Levels successful CompSci Cambridge applicants took?

You can make a FOI request to get this information, but don't use that as a way of choosing your options. Your current combination is perfectly fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending