The Student Room Group

Do I have to take maths with physics?

I got an A in physics and really want to do maths A level but I got a 5. People keep saying don't do A level maths but I think all uni's need maths for an engineering degree.
Reply 1
All unis do need maths for an engineering degree. Not all unis need Physics.

If Engineering is what you want to do and you want to do it via A levels then university, you need to bridge your GCSE up to a decent standard then do A level maths.

Our you could go via an HNC / BTEC route.
Reply 2
Original post by Asker23121332
I got an A in physics and really want to do maths A level but I got a 5. People keep saying don't do A level maths but I think all uni's need maths for an engineering degree.

If you wanted to do physics A level and not take things any further, you don't need to do maths A level, although it is recommended.

But if you want to do an engineering degree, it is absolutely essential. Sorry - you're in a bit of an awkward situation.
Do maths if you need it to get into the course you want at uni, or if you enjoy it.
If you have no reason to do it and find it hard / boring then don't.

Look at different uni's and different courses you would want to do, and look at their entry requirements. If most of them have maths (they probably will) then do maths.
But you don't have to take maths and physics together. You will do though if the entry requirements for the degree you want to do include maths.
Original post by cc85734
Do maths if you need it to get into the course you want at uni, or if you enjoy it.
If you have no reason to do it and find it hard / boring then don't.

Look at different uni's and different courses you would want to do, and look at their entry requirements. If most of them have maths (they probably will) then do maths.

Original post by TeacherP
All unis do need maths for an engineering degree. Not all unis need Physics.

If Engineering is what you want to do and you want to do it via A levels then university, you need to bridge your GCSE up to a decent standard then do A level maths.

Our you could go via an HNC / BTEC route.

Original post by Pangol
If you wanted to do physics A level and not take things any further, you don't need to do maths A level, although it is recommended.

But if you want to do an engineering degree, it is absolutely essential. Sorry - you're in a bit of an awkward situation.

Can sixth forms not let you do maths if you only got a 5? (Requirement is a 6)
Reply 6

I would be surprised if they did. This isn't them being mean, extensive past experience suggests that students with this level of GCSE grade will not do well at A level. It is a way of trying to help you to not waste a year of your life.

How about a three years sixth form, with the first year including a GCSE retake and physics AS, with some others? Then start the maths A level in the second year when you finish the phyiscs, and finish the maths in the third year. Downside is that you'll have to pick some other things to pad out the third year, but it's not an unknown route to take.

Yeah I think so. They don't have requirements there for no reason. Ask them if you can do maths with your grade any ways, you have nothing to lose by asking. A-Level maths is, from what I've heard, difficult. They want to make sure that the people doing it will be likely to pass.
Most of the methods that you'll be applying in A Level Physics will be learnt in A Level Maths, so its essiental. Physics is basically maths with a purpose. You can do A Level Physics by itself but less doors will be open to you later, and you might struggle.
(edited 6 years ago)

Maths is recommended with any science especially physics and yeah most unis would want it for engineering

Quick Reply

Latest