The Student Room Group

Our policies on Gypsies/Travellers

I have been researching this as I found it quite interesting, and I'd like to share it with you. As you may or not know, gypsy/traveller children are NOT forced to go into education after primary, as they claim it is against their way of life. However, we still give out benefits to them, with their lack of jobs being likely based off of their lack of education and their way of life being that they don't need a job. Also, councils have been forced to spend money on buying and building land to accomadate gypsy travellers, which may I remind you is the money they could be spending on funding the local schools who are in dire need of money. IMO if you don't attend school, you can't claim benefits, and even further, for those who waste time and resources at school by putting in zero effort, they should t be able to claim benefits either. Why are we funding the lifestyles of these travellers when they are doing nothing to fix it for themselves? It's a joke

Scroll to see replies

So much hatred around at the moment. Come here and give me a hug!
Original post by That'sGreat
I have been researching this as I found it quite interesting, and I'd like to share it with you. As you may or not know, gypsy/traveller children are NOT forced to go into education after primary, as they claim it is against their way of life. However, we still give out benefits to them, with their lack of jobs being likely based off of their lack of education and their way of life being that they don't need a job. Also, councils have been forced to spend money on buying and building land to accomadate gypsy travellers, which may I remind you is the money they could be spending on funding the local schools who are in dire need of money. IMO if you don't attend school, you can't claim benefits, and even further, for those who waste time and resources at school by putting in zero effort, they should t be able to claim benefits either. Why are we funding the lifestyles of these travellers when they are doing nothing to fix it for themselves? It's a joke

What exactly do you want them to "fix"?

Yes, there are certainly some problems among some Roma/Gypsy parents in terms of attitudes to education, but that is thankfully improving. Efforts to actually provide Romani children with education that overcomes cultural barriers, not so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pedantic complaints which have no real consequences to the overarching picture. Besides there is not enough proper jobs to go around as it is which is why there is a ever increasing amount of "******** jobs" as has been described by academics, a study at Oxford claims 47% of current jobs are also at risk of automation reducing jobs even further. Meanwhile big business dominate government policy effectively curtailing democracy, inequality is ridiculous (62 own as much as 50% of the planet now), the environment is taking irreparable damage but this is what you choose to focus on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Scottish Person
Pedantic complaints which have no real consequences to the overarching picture. Besides there is not enough proper jobs to go around as it is which is why there is a ever increasing amount of "******** jobs" as has been described by academics, a study at Oxford claims 47% of current jobs are also at risk of automation reducing jobs even further. Meanwhile big business dominate government policy effectively curtailing democracy, inequality is ridiculous (62 own as much as 50% of the planet now), the environment is taking irreparable damage but this is what you choose to focus on.

So when there is one big problem, we, people who have no effect, have to spend all our time on that problem, as opposed to talking about ANYTHING else? And, sure, jobs are getting automated, but does that mean everyone can just not go to school because there won't be any jobs anyway?
we should stop their benefits until they put their kids through school then
the ancient ways of the traveller must be respected. for thousands of years these mysterious folk have relied on settled communities for sustenance;
Geoffroy of Monmouth in the 12th Century wrote:

sundrie travelling knaves yclept Romanes or Egypts maken no littel sport witthe the Badgeres and feaste on great Pyes with the flesshe of Hedge-Hogges. they claim muche Benefitte from ye Parishe and yet paye not a deel of Taxe forsooth. if a householdere dayre to complayne then he is himselffe accused of ye Politickalle Incorrectnesse and whatte-notte.
Most of the travelers I have met have been lovely people who just ant to live their lives, despite the near constant abuse, threats and other crap they get from pretty much everyone.

I think sometimes some people play up to a certain stereotype, which in the end just ends up confirming the beliefs of those who already hate them and turning those who could be sympathetic against them That however is a problem in all non-mainstream cultures though.
Most gypsy children i know (I'm a romany gypsy) has been all through school including my brothers. Im getting homeschooled because of the racial abuse that gets thrown at us from a young age. Most the gypsies i know are not on benefits and work hard in normal jobs to get a home or land just like my family. As for some gypsies they travel like we have done for thousands of years, why is that such a problem for people. So when they are traveling they cant keep changing their school every month or so can they. Stop judging all of us or trying to change the rest. Get to know us personally
I didn't know you receive benefits for putting your children in school.

I look forwards to the extra cash this autumn when my daughter starts.

So, I home educated my grandson, and, I might add, saved the government thousands of pounds educating him right up until he was 16 and went to college. So, because he didn't attend school, I am not entitled to benefits i.e. child benefit, and my pension?
No parent, regardless of their status in society is forced to send their child to school. It is the law that parents must provide for their children education suited to their age and ability and that is not necessarily in school. Gypsy/traveller children will follow their parents and do whatever their parents do. Further to this, every education department in the country has personnel/inspectors who visit traveller/gypsy sites to check up on children who are not in school/home educated and gypsy children. I know this as I have a friend who is a local authority inspector.
Why are you aiming at traveller families? There are people in this country who are born and bred here who do not care for their children, who abuse them, do not feed them adequately or clothe them, yet they are paid benefits. Although it's disappointing for you to hear, attending school is not a prerequisite for being given benefits.
There are Irish gypsies too and a lot of gypsies are racist
Original post by Cocoglitza
Most gypsy children i know (I'm a romany gypsy) has been all through school including my brothers. Im getting homeschooled because of the racial abuse that gets thrown at us from a young age. Most the gypsies i know are not on benefits and work hard in normal jobs to get a home or land just like my family. As for some gypsies they travel like we have done for thousands of years, why is that such a problem for people. So when they are traveling they cant keep changing their school every month or so can they. Stop judging all of us or trying to change the rest. Get to know us personally

It's obviously not the constant uprooting people have problems with - no sort of prejudice against those who tour the country in civility. The problem people have with travellers is the anti-social behaviour of some families. I've just seen a family evicted for the fifth time in 12 months from my offices car park - in that time they've vandalised a number of coworkers bikes, threatened to kick a coworkers head in for parking across the gap in a hedge they were coming though and threaten one of my managers with an acid attack after an escalation of an argument caused by their kids whacking a coworkers car with a buggy. This family have been a menace to us, hence my mistrust for the traveller community, and a lot of people who've had experiences of travellers trespassing on private land will have similar stories.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
It's obviously not the constant uprooting people have problems with - no sort of prejudice against those who tour the country in civility. The problem people have with travellers is the anti-social behaviour of some families. I've just seen a family evicted for the fifth time in 12 months from my offices car park - in that time they've vandalised a number of coworkers bikes, threatened to kick a coworkers head in for parking across the gap in a hedge they were coming though and threaten one of my managers with an acid attack after an escalation of an argument caused by their kids whacking a coworkers car with a buggy. This family have been a menace to us, hence my mistrust for the traveller community, and a lot of people who've had experiences of travellers trespassing on private land will have similar stories.

There are some Irish travellers who circulate regularly in my area.
In principle this is fine
But, the mess they leave is incredible. Property is destroyed. They get electricity by stripping down the street lights.
Two local pubs close completely because the violence and destruction is out of control.
So many small children are in tears because their bikes etc are stolen. And then dumped in the spaces the travellers have occupied when they move.
How they think it's acceptable to park in the middle of the village football field is mind boggling!
And NO ONE says anything
Because when they do, their homes and cars are vandalised, they are verbally abused and physically threatened.
But because we are instructed to be tolerant to this ancient way of life we allow this law breaking to continue
The travellers of the Middle Ages referenced by the bear have zero resemblance to travellers today.
To have your way of life preserved you must not constantly infringe upon the rights and lives of others
It's obviously not the constant uprooting people have problems with - no sort of prejudice against those who tour the country in civility.

I can't tell whether you're just talking about yourself or people in general here, but if you mean the latter than this is quite disingenuous. There is massive prejudice against Roma and gypsies often regardless of what they do.
Original post by anarchism101
I can't tell whether you're just talking about yourself or people in general here, but if you mean the latter than this is quite disingenuous. There is massive prejudice against Roma and gypsies often regardless of what they do.

As I said, tour in civility. Never known anyone to have problems with a canal boat owner for instance. When your lifestyle results in committing offences regularly (it may be a civil offence rather than a criminal one but trespass is an offence nonetheless) you're not travelling in civility.
As I said, tour in civility. Never known anyone to have problems with a canal boat owner for instance. When your lifestyle results in committing offences regularly (it may be a civil offence rather than a criminal one but trespass is an offence nonetheless) you're not travelling in civility.

This is easier said than done. The vast majority of planning applications (most of the land disputes concerning travellers aren't over trespassing, but over land they do indeed legally own but just don't have planning permission for) by Roma and other Travellers are rejected (90% compared to an overall rejection rate of about 20%).

Also, what happens a lot is:
- Local council closes off traditional site for whatever reason.
- Council is under no obligation to find alternative site*, or to advise travellers on where they should purchase new sites themselves.
- Travellers, with nowhere to go, just buy wherever they can/want and set up camp there (planning permission invariably gets rejected if they apply for it).
- Either i) the council kicks up a fuss, or ii) the council agrees to overlook the planning violation, but then some "Residents' Association" kicks up a fuss.

*Admittedly this changes. Usually Labour government have passed laws placing some sort of obligation on local authorities to accomodate travellers if they close an existing site, while Tory governments have generally got rid of such requirements.
This is easier said than done. The vast majority of planning applications (most of the land disputes concerning travellers aren't over trespassing, but over land they do indeed legally own but just don't have planning permission for) by Roma and other Travellers are rejected (90% compared to an overall rejection rate of about 20%).

Also, what happens a lot is:
- Local council closes off traditional site for whatever reason.
- Council is under no obligation to find alternative site*, or to advise travellers on where they should purchase new sites themselves.
- Travellers, with nowhere to go, just buy wherever they can/want and set up camp there (planning permission invariably gets rejected if they apply for it).
- Either i) the council kicks up a fuss, or ii) the council agrees to overlook the planning violation, but then some "Residents' Association" kicks up a fuss.

*Admittedly this changes. Usually Labour government have passed laws placing some sort of obligation on local authorities to accomodate travellers if they close an existing site, while Tory governments have generally got rid of such requirements.

If you read my earlier post, I refer to the use of the local football pitch. They also use the play area, blocking of facilities for local children. And often the car park at the supermarket.
None of these are open spaces for anyone. They all belong to someone else. It's stealing by any other name.
The council have provided a site for the travellers very close by. In a beautiful area actually. At the side of the common. There are toilet and shower blocks and electric hook ups. Of course they won't use it because it requires a small charge. Electricity and water aren't free for the rest of us but they won't pay when they can steal from the street lights
They are a scourge in our area. They steal, litter and abuse the community. I can't think of a single reason why I would welcome them here
Original post by Sammylou40
If you read my earlier post

I ignored it because it's entirely anecdotal.
I ignored it because it's entirely anecdotal.

Its entirely fact.
You keep banging on about their rights.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending