The Student Room Group

I need helppppo

Hiii I received my GCSE results a few days ago and i had to choose my subjects for college that day aswell !! In the future I want to become a Religious studies/philosophy lecturer in uni as RE is my strongest subject and because i'A am very interested in it. I decided to choose eng literature and Religious studies as my a levels and I had no idea what to pick for my third subject so I just picked sociology without thinking ... ( I have no idea what it is about) I have two weeks to change my subject so please can someone give me advice on what to pick for my levels or if picking sociology or eng literature was wrong to pursue a career as a higher studies RE teacher ?? Thank you
sociology is actually quite interesting and something different from other subjects (other than psychology)
it could be really useful if you want to teach later on as it would make you question certain things as a teacher and provide you with more viewpoints that would in turn allow you to understand your students more.

For example if someone is struggling you may know they're having troubles at home or maybe they're expectations have been lowered so much because they have been negatively labelled . It just allows you to see more beyond the grades or the scruffy clothing or why they're bullying someone + allows you to question what has caused all these things to happen.

Im not completely sure but this could really help with how you question things in RS + english and it's an essay-based subject
Reply 2
It is great that you have an idea in mind for what you want to be when you're older. I studied Sociology A Level AQA and I found it amazing. Don't get me wrong - it wasn't easy, and anyone who says it is has not studied it. There is a lot of information to remember, and you must be able to master essay writing and be able to produce original and interesting arguments and debates.
Sociology would fit in perfectly with your aspirations of going into religion and philosophy, especially if you study the Beliefs in Society unit. I studied Beliefs in Society and it was basically religion in society and the wider picture of it. It is a very rewarding and respected A Level and I definitely would advise you to study it, especially with your other two chosen A Levels, but obviously, the final decision is down to you.
Reply 3
Original post by djcwv
It is great that you have an idea in mind for what you want to be when you're older. I studied Sociology A Level AQA and I found it amazing. Don't get me wrong - it wasn't easy, and anyone who says it is has not studied it. There is a lot of information to remember, and you must be able to master essay writing and be able to produce original and interesting arguments and debates.
Sociology would fit in perfectly with your aspirations of going into religion and philosophy, especially if you study the Beliefs in Society unit. I studied Beliefs in Society and it was basically religion in society and the wider picture of it. It is a very rewarding and respected A Level and I definitely would advise you to study it, especially with your other two chosen A Levels, but obviously, the final decision is down to you.

Thank you so much for replying I think I'm gonna give it a go .... do you think there is a lot of competition in the field that I am choosing to work in ?? (I don't wanna be a regular primary/secondary teacher) I feel like it's gonna be really hard for me to find a job as a Religious studies lecturer ??
p.s if you don't mind me asking what career did you have in mind when studying sociology ???
Reply 4
Original post by Taekoook
Thank you so much for replying I think I'm gonna give it a go .... do you think there is a lot of competition in the field that I am choosing to work in ?? (I don't wanna be a regular primary/secondary teacher) I feel like it's gonna be really hard for me to find a job as a Religious studies lecturer ??
p.s if you don't mind me asking what career did you have in mind when studying sociology ???

I feel that the field (religion and philosophy) that you want to go in is actually in demand of people, therefore, you wouldn't have an issue finding careers. Secularisation is obviously occurring and religion is therefore having less influence on the lives of individuals, especially in Western cultures. However, religion is history - we need to study it to learn from it and ensure undesirable aspects of it aren't repeated. Also, religion is still highly influential in non-Western cultures, and therefore, it is essential that we study and learn it to gain an understanding. I studied my Sociology A Level alongside Psychology and History, and I am still trying to understand what I would like to go on to do - I hope to achieve this within my gap year!
Reply 5

I don't know how competitive it is but I wouldn't get too caught up on picking a specific career at this stage. You already have a subject that you are interested in do some more background reading and be open to looking at other pathways just in case something rare or unexpected pops up. Other than that sociology is a great subject and should tie in with RS if you're still not sure another good course may be philosophy if your school/college allows it.
Reply 6
Original post by cat7
I don't know how competitive it is but I wouldn't get too caught up on picking a specific career at this stage. You already have a subject that you are interested in do some more background reading and be open to looking at other pathways just in case something rare or unexpected pops up. Other than that sociology is a great subject and should tie in with RS if you're still not sure another good course may be philosophy if your school/college allows it.

Thank you for replying !! In the college that I am going to in religious studies we learn philosophy aswell so it's basically a 2 in 1 kinda thing !!
Reply 7
Thank you for replying !! In the college that I am going to in religious studies we learn philosophy aswell so it's basically a 2 in 1 kinda thing !!

Awesome, hope this year goes well and I wouldn't start to worry until you've had a taste of the class, teacher etc. If you then change your mind talk to the college and there might be a chance to change then.

Quick Reply

Latest