The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2018 entry

Anyone applying for chemical engineering this year?

hows everyone getting on with their personal statements? tbh I haven't even started mine yet, got a couple notes down

Scroll to see replies

Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying! :awesome:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades:
GCSE grades:
Why Chemical Engineering?
Reply 2
University choices: Aspirational: Imperial and UCL, Solid: Bath and Manchester, Safe: Edinburgh
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths (Pre-U), Biology, Physics, Chemistry
Predicted A2 grades: Chemistry - A*, Maths - D2 (A*), Biology - A, Physics - A, EPQ - A
GCSE grades: 7A*s (English Lang, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Geology), 4As (French, History, Geography, Economics), 1B (English Lit)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Chemical Engineering Applicants Thread - 2018 Entry

UCAS Deadline for Oxbridge/Medicine: Sun 15 October 2017 - 18:00
UCAS Deadline: Mon 15 January 2018 - 18:00

Used @NeverLucky's post on 2017 entry applicants thread since I found the info there very useful, just added a few alterations for 2018 entry. The thread can be found here.

Cambridge Website: Why Study Chemical Engineering?
Why Not Chem Eng
WhichUni - Chemical Engineering

Various League Tables for Chemical Engineering:
The Complete University Guide - 2018
Guardian League Table - 2018
QS Top Universities - 2017 (Note: You can filter by location to just the U.K.)

Popular Chemical Engineering Courses:
Note: Most of the courses below are MEng degrees but most of the universities also offer BEng degrees. The entry requirements shown are the requirements for a MEng degree. Typically, the entry requirements for a BEng degree is lower (AAB instead of AAA).

Key:
Interview/Visit Day Required for Offer
No Interview/Visit Day Required for Offer

University of Cambridge (Entry Requirements: A*A*A):

Spoiler

Imperial College London (Entry Requirements: A*A*AA/A*A*A):

Spoiler

University of Bath (Entry Requirements: A*AA):

Spoiler

University of Birmingham (Entry Requirements: A*AA/AAAA):

Spoiler

University of Edinburgh (Entry Requirements: AAA or A*AA in One Sitting for Direct Second Year Entry):

Spoiler

University of Manchester (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

Newcastle University (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

Loughborough University (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

University of Nottingham (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

University of Leeds (Entry Requirements: A*AA):

Spoiler

Lancaster University (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

Swansea University (Entry Requirements: AAA-AAB):

Spoiler

University of Aberdeen (Entry Requirements: ABB):

Spoiler

University of Sheffield (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

University of Surrey (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

University College London (Entry Requirements: A*AA):

Spoiler

University of Bradford (Entry Requirements: AAB):

Spoiler

Queen Mary University (Entry Requirements: AAB-AAA):

Spoiler

If anyone wants me to make any alterations feel free to message me or @ me on this thread.

Edit: I've read concerns about the current UCL course, in 2014/15 the course was revamped with something called IEP (the Integrated Engineering Programme) this allowed for a broader base for the course, more crossover with other disciplines and more practical/groupwork. For more information refer to this link and this link.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi, I'm a German Abitur student and I'll apply to Imperial, Manchester and UCL.
I'm returning to school again next month, so it would be quite convenient for me to get the personal statement done before I return.
I chose Chemical Engineering after finishing my training at BASF, as I found the chemical industry with all its different divisions quite interesting!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi, I want to do chemical engineering but I am not in a great position from my AS results and predicted grades. I want to apply to unis like heriot watt and stratchclyde and Bradford. Anyone in a similar position as me? Cause I know I can do better this year and I still wanna do chemical engineering
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying! :awesome:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades:
GCSE grades:

1)Nottingham, Leeds, Bradford and still deciding on the other two.
2)Chemistry Biology and Maths
3) AAA but not determined, may go higher
4) only did mocks for bio and chem -BB and a C in AS maths
5)2A* 7As and 3Bs
6) I am interested in the field, and job prospects, the course content sounds amazing and also like studying chemistry and maths.
Reply 7
Original post by kashc3po
Hi, I want to do chemical engineering but I am not in a great position from my AS results and predicted grades. I want to apply to unis like heriot watt and stratchclyde and Bradford. Anyone in a similar position as me? Cause I know I can do better this year and I still wanna do chemical engineering

Heyyyyyy, I'm in the same position!!

I only did mocks in biology and chemistry, and got BB which was a huge surprise as I didn't revise as much as I should have
I'm guessing my predictions will be AA, but I'm going to push for A*A* as my results were really close to A's

I did maths AS and got a C.... which is crap, I just know I can do so much better. I just hope my teachers predict me an A at the least..
I really want to study chemical engineering
Reply 8
Original post by tamanna___
Heyyyyyy, I'm in the same position!!

I only did mocks in biology and chemistry, and got BB which was a huge surprise as I didn't revise as much as I should have
I'm guessing my predictions will be AA, but I'm going to push for A*A* as my results were really close to A's

I did maths AS and got a C.... which is crap, I just know I can do so much better. I just hope my teachers predict me an A at the least..
I really want to study chemical engineering

Wow it seems like your school is pretty generous then for predicted grades. My school is soo harsh. What you get in the exam is your predicted grade or if you get a D u get predicted a C. What work experience have you done and how are you copying with the personal statement write up? Its sooo hard.
Reply 9
Wow it seems like your school is pretty generous then for predicted grades. My school is soo harsh. What you get in the exam is your predicted grade or if you get a D u get predicted a C. What work experience have you done and how are you copying with the personal statement write up? Its sooo hard.

Our predicted grades are usually one grade above what you get, but I'm gonna beg them for two grades up :smile:))))
And most of my work experience is suited to medicine as I thought I would go into the health sector... and yeah personal statement write up.. idk what to write, to be honest I havnt even really started it yet I've just been writing notes and little sentences/paragraphs but I havnt actually put anything together yet

Wby ??
Our predicted grades are usually one grade above what you get, but I'm gonna beg them for two grades up :smile:))))
And most of my work experience is suited to medicine as I thought I would go into the health sector... and yeah personal statement write up.. idk what to write, to be honest I havnt even really started it yet I've just been writing notes and little sentences/paragraphs but I havnt actually put anything together yet

Wby ??

Yeah pretty much on the same page with the personal statement stuff. I have also just done hospital work experience so yeah similar to you too. I just hope that I can get any help on the personal statement tbh. Its sooo hard.
Yeah pretty much on the same page with the personal statement stuff. I have also just done hospital work experience so yeah similar to you too. I just hope that I can get any help on the personal statement tbh. Its sooo hard.

yeah same!! im deffo gonna be chasing all the teachers around this year for loads of help.
how are you planning to link the hospital work experience to chem eng? ive got 2 weeks of pharmacy experience and a week in a hospital which I somehow have to link to the sector... sooo confused and I havn even got any actual chem eng experience, wby?
yeah same!! im deffo gonna be chasing all the teachers around this year for loads of help.
how are you planning to link the hospital work experience to chem eng? ive got 2 weeks of pharmacy experience and a week in a hospital which I somehow have to link to the sector... sooo confused and I havn even got any actual chem eng experience, wby?

You don't have to link non-relevant work experience to your degree application, and work experience isn't something that matters that much for university applications to engineering degrees anyway.

PS I will sticky this thread soon, once the 2017 application window is over.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Smack
You don't have to link non-relevant work experience to your degree application, and work experience isn't something that matters that much for university applications to engineering degrees anyway.

PS I will sticky this thread soon, once the 2017 application window is over.

Hmm true I've heard work experience is not really needed for engineering, but I may try talk about skills I have picked up from the experiences though anyway :biggrin:
and cool thanks!
Hmm true I've heard work experience is not really needed for engineering, but I may try talk about skills I have picked up from the experiences though anyway :biggrin:
and cool thanks!

Further to what I was saying in my previous post, you don't need to include non-relevant things in your PS. Talking about how you are interested in engineering seems to be sufficient for securing offers. It's quite rare for anyone to come equipped with engineering experience before they have started their degree, and a lack of it does not seem to harm suitably qualified (i.e. those who meet the entry requirements) candidates at all.
Original post by Smack
Further to what I was saying in my previous post, you don't need to include non-relevant things in your PS. Talking about how you are interested in engineering seems to be sufficient for securing offers. It's quite rare for anyone to come equipped with engineering experience before they have started their degree, and a lack of it does not seem to harm suitably qualified (i.e. those who meet the entry requirements) candidates at all.

Ok cool, so more space to try and sell my self to the admission officers yay:h:
QMUL also has a new chemeng course so I think that should be included

Original post by ∆us
Chemical Engineering Applicants Thread - 2018 Entry

UCAS Deadline for Oxbridge/Medicine: Sun 15 October 2017 - 18:00
UCAS Deadline: Mon 15 January 2018 - 18:00

Used @NeverLucky's post on 2017 entry applicants thread since I found the info there very useful, just added a few alterations for 2018 entry. The thread can be found here.

Cambridge Website: Why Study Chemical Engineering?
Why Not Chem Eng
WhichUni - Chemical Engineering

Various League Tables for Chemical Engineering:
The Complete University Guide - 2017
Guardian League Table - 2017
QS Top Universities - 2016 (Note: You can filter by location to just the U.K.)

Popular Chemical Engineering Courses:
Note: Most of the courses below are MEng degrees but most of the universities also offer BEng degrees. The entry requirements shown are the requirements for a MEng degree. Typically, the entry requirements for a BEng degree is lower (AAB instead of AAA).

Key:
Interview/Visit Day Required for Offer
No Interview/Visit Day Required for Offer

University of Cambridge (Entry Requirements: A*A*A):

Spoiler

Imperial College London (Entry Requirements: A*A*AA/A*A*A):

Spoiler

University of Bath (Entry Requirements: A*AA):

Spoiler

University of Birmingham (Entry Requirements: A*AA/AAAA):

Spoiler

University of Edinburgh (Entry Requirements: AAA or A*AA in One Sitting for Direct Second Year Entry):

Spoiler

University of Manchester (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

Newcastle University (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

Loughborough University (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

University of Nottingham (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

University of Leeds (Entry Requirements: A*AA):

Spoiler

Lancaster University (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

Swansea University (Entry Requirements: AAA-AAB):

Spoiler

University of Aberdeen (Entry Requirements: ABB):

Spoiler

University of Sheffield (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

University of Surrey (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

University College London (Entry Requirements: A*AA):

Spoiler

University of Bradford (Entry Requirements: AAB):

Spoiler

If anyone wants me to make any alterations feel free to message me or @ me on this thread.
be prepared for Imperial A*A*A*A offers smh
University choices: UCL, Birmingham, Bath, Manchester, Surrey
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry
Predicted A2 grades: A*AA
GCSE grades: 6A*s, 4As, 2Bs
It's a course that intrigues me as there are many factors you have to look in to and working around deadlines is something I would not mind as I thrive on working under pressure. It is also mainly based around maths, a subject that appeals to me especially because of all the problem solving which will be of great use throughout the course.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
I wanna apply for Chemical Engineering but I’m having such a hard time choosing my top 5 unis. I’m trying to go based of job prospects, uni prestige and how the chem eng department are rated but I acc don’t know. I also don’t do further maths or physics so that rules out a couple unis.
GCSES - 3A*s 8As
A levels - Maths , Chemistry and Economics (yes I know )
Predicted A*AA
Possible Uni choices - Sheffield , Edinburgh, Nottingham , Bath, Leeds and Loughborough , Surrey
Yeah so like any advice ??? What do you think is the best uni for career prospects (except oxbridge) especially internationally as I would like to work abroad? God I hate uni applications.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest