The Student Room Group

Business Degrees

Hi,

Why do so so so many people tell me business degrees are worthless or are "stupid degrees"? It actually angers me so much because business courses are intense in terms of the workload and although business can be taken by anyone, not everyone can get a good grade (surely)

I've seen videos on youtube and friends around me telling me its all pointless and not worth it at all. I have quite a good amount of friends who had sound interest in business, but they have been discouraged by this information and then throw themselves into subjects they don't enjoy.

Personally, business studies has been a strength of mine since GCSE and I am extremely passionate about it! I absolutely love it - and my parents are happy for me to take it forward as a degree.

But what I want to know is, why do so many people claim it gets you nowhere? Surely an education isn't worthless....
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
You should study a subject you want to do, ignore what other people say. A lot of people are lot quite critical of other peoples choices. There are plenty of opportunities in business. Many companies don't consider candidates without a degree. If I could get into Marketing or Business easily, I wouldn't be studying a degree.

I haven't heard any negativity when I tell people what I'm studying.

I'm studying Business and Marketing, I start next month! ☺️
(edited 6 years ago)
I've never seen any negativity about it apart from some people saying it's boring now and again. My cousin is currently doing business and management and after a levels I plan on doing accounting and finance
Original post by Ishax
You should study a subject you want to do, ignore what other people say. A lot of people are lot quite critical of other peoples choices. There are plenty of opportunities in business. Many companies don't consider candidates without a degree. If I could get into Marketing or Business easily, I wouldn't be studying a degree.

I'm studying Business and Marketing, I start next month! ☺️

I'm so glad someone agrees! Surely having a business-related degree means we get extensive knowledge about the business world, making us more likely to adapt and get good jobs? And good luck my love, enjoy it! xx
Original post by Reece.W.J
I've never seen any negativity about it apart from some people saying it's boring now and again. My cousin is currently doing business and management and after a levels I plan on doing accounting and finance

Accounting and finance seems like a really good choice. Honestly you might not see it but I believe there is negativity with it because people assume the employment rate is lower and its a waste of education. Its super annoying.
Reply 5
Original post by Zara_ahmed123xx
I'm so glad someone agrees! Surely having a business-related degree means we get extensive knowledge about the business world, making us more likely to adapt and get good jobs? And good luck my love, enjoy it! xx

Yes it does! Make sure you work and get experience though, as unfortunately only a degree won't cut it!

Thank you so much! 😊🎉

Are you starting soon too? Xx
Accounting and finance seems like a really good choice. Honestly you might not see it but I believe there is negativity with it because people assume the employment rate is lower and its a waste of education. Its super annoying.

The world revolves around business. Our future jobs can't be taken by robots and with brexit there is an expected increase in jobs. I like the finance part because I've been looking at investment banking recently
Original post by Ishax
Yes it does! Make sure you work and get experience though, as unfortunately only a degree won't cut it!

Thank you so much! 😊🎉

Are you starting soon too? Xx

Agreed! Will defo need the experience to make the most of the degree!

And no haha, I'm about to go into A levels and I'm doing Law with a technical level 3 diploma in business studies (worth 2 A levels), but I LOVED it at GCSE and definitely see myself studying it in uni. <3
Original post by Reece.W.J
The world revolves around business. Our future jobs can't be taken by robots and with brexit there is an expected increase in jobs. I like the finance part because I've been looking at investment banking recently

Agreed! I heard someone say to me the other day "but anyone can do a business degree." I mean, i strongly disagree with that because it takes a certain mindset and there are other factors that influence a person's ability to do well in business, but it really set me off. lets hope i can get that degree, you can get your degree in accounting and finance and we can prove the world wrong one step at time eh? :smile:
Reply 9
Agreed! Will defo need the experience to make the most of the degree!

And no haha, I'm about to go into A levels and I'm doing Law with a technical level 3 diploma in business studies (worth 2 A levels), but I LOVED it at GCSE and definitely see myself studying it in uni. <3

Good luck! ☺️

Are you looking to do Business Management?
Original post by Ishax
Good luck! ☺️

Are you looking to do Business Management?

Thank you! xx

Either that, or a business/finance degree, or whatever business degree appeals to me when I'm ready to go to university aha. It all depends. What caught your interest in regards to Business Management? x
Thank you! xx

Either that, or a business/finance degree, or whatever business degree appeals to me when I'm ready to go to university aha. It all depends. What caught your interest in regards to Business Management? x

I looked at the modules for Business Management and it didn't appeal to me much. Hence, why I chose Business and Marketing as I do some management modules anyway.

You could always do Business and Finance degree x
Original post by Ishax
I looked at the modules for Business Management and it didn't appeal to me much. Hence, why I chose Business and Marketing as I do some management modules anyway.

You could always do Busienss and Finance degree x

Yeah definitely. Lets hope in a good couple of years I can proudly say I have a business-related degree and you can too! Best wishes girlie x
hi, did you lot get your degree in business because I fell like studying it but then people say its boring and the degree not worth it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending