The Student Room Group

How long for Pre-employment Checks with Civil Service

Hi

I did my interview for Exuctive Officer on 9th December 2016 and got a provisional offer on 23rd December 2016. I filled all the forms requested on the same day and emailed back.

I got a call on 30 December 2016, confirming address, whether I want to work full/part time and whether I would be accepting the offer. My question is should I take that as a confirmation of formal offer? I asked the lady and she was vague but said she is calling to confirm address to send the employment contract in the next few weeks.

I just feel very confused at the moment as to whether I am in or there is still a chance the offer might get withdrawn.

P.s. I have nothing on my criminal record or any bad references, I do however have a disability which I explained on the health declaration form. Should I be concerned?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lonsheff
Hi

I did my interview for Exuctive Officer on 9th December 2016 and got a provisional offer on 23rd December 2016. I filled all the forms requested on the same day and emailed back.

I got a call on 30 December 2016, confirming address, whether I want to work full/part time and whether I would be accepting the offer. My question is should I take that as a confirmation of formal offer? I asked the lady and she was vague but said she is calling to confirm address to send the employment contract in the next few weeks.

I just feel very confused at the moment as to whether I am in or there is still a chance the offer might get withdrawn.

P.s. I have nothing on my criminal record or any bad references, I do however have a disability which I explained on the health declaration form. Should I be concerned?

Thanks.

Moved into Public Sector.
Reply 2
I would take that as a formal offer, based on what you've said.

Pre-employment checks can vary massively with length of time taken, so try not to worry about it (easier said than done, I know!) I first got an offer in November from my department, and didn't end up starting until April because my pre-employment checks weren't sorted until March! Even my line manager and lead analyst were getting concerned because they were unsure what I was doing for money at the time and were starting to think I'd turn down the offer and go elsewhere. Mine took an awfully long time compared to a lot of people for some reason, but from a focus group I did with other new starters, a good few others were in similar positions.

It's very very unlikely that your offer would be withdrawn, it sounds like it's all but confirmed. It just takes a fair amount of time to get all the checks done.

Well done. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Liv1204
I would take that as a formal offer, based on what you've said.

Pre-employment checks can vary massively with length of time taken, so try not to worry about it (easier said than done, I know!) I first got an offer in November from my department, and didn't end up starting until April because my pre-employment checks weren't sorted until March! Even my line manager and lead analyst were getting concerned because they were unsure what I was doing for money at the time and were starting to think I'd turn down the offer and go elsewhere. Mine took an awfully long time compared to a lot of people for some reason, but from a focus group I did with other new starters, a good few others were in similar positions.

It's very very unlikely that your offer would be withdrawn, it sounds like it's all but confirmed. It just takes a fair amount of time to get all the checks done.

Well done. :smile:

Thank you so much for that, I feel better knowing that it can take a while. On the provisional offer email, it says 20 working days so I am hoping it will be withing that time frame as I am not working at the moment and want to start asap.

what department are you working for (if you don't mind me asking) and what is civil service like as an employer? my offer is with dwp as a presenting officer.
Reply 4
Original post by Rock Fan
Moved into Public Sector.

thanks, I am new to posting on TSR.
Reply 5
Thank you so much for that, I feel better knowing that it can take a while. On the provisional offer email, it says 20 working days so I am hoping it will be withing that time frame as I am not working at the moment and want to start asap.

what department are you working for (if you don't mind me asking) and what is civil service like as an employer? my offer is with dwp as a presenting officer.

I am currently not - I had to stop work in November because of health problems, so not well enough to work at the moment. But intending to go back to the Civil Service again when I'm well enough.

But I was at DWP too. So hopefully what I wrote above can be of some reassurance! It can take a while to get everything sorted before the start date, but it will happen. And they are such a brilliant department to work for - so many brilliant people, loads of things to get involved with, and they're such a supportive department. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Liv1204
I am currently not - I had to stop work in November because of health problems, so not well enough to work at the moment. But intending to go back to the Civil Service again when I'm well enough.

But I was at DWP too. So hopefully what I wrote above can be of some reassurance! It can take a while to get everything sorted before the start date, but it will happen. And they are such a brilliant department to work for - so many brilliant people, loads of things to get involved with, and they're such a supportive department. :smile:

that is very reassuring indeed. Thank you. I do suffer from a long term health condition so it is good to hear that dwp is a supportive department. On my provisional offer it states that 'dwp are eager for you to start immediately' lets hope that is the case.lol
Reply 7
Hi

Thanks.

I am in same boat as you were a few months ago. I have had an offer (EO grade) and submitted paperwork and ticked for disability too although concerned as ticked for hearing loss but didn't like the wording as said something like 'substantialy impacts day to day life'. So to tick or not to tick? I ticked as felt I may come back on me not to tick about hearing. Few days ago got a 'call saying you recently applied for a job at DWP (i applied for few and a few interviews but only offically been offered and accepted one) so didn't like to say 'which one'. She asked, 'have you got any qualifications like GCSE or A levels?' I thought odd to ask. I said I have a degree and a PGCE. Tthat was all but just felt 'are they picking holes' in my applciation so re read the paperwork I sent after initial offer and began to feel was I right to tick the hearing description/disability bit as gives impression incapable of doing job the way they have worded it. I rang a lday who offered me post and me ticking hearing box she said not to worry but i will add your message and forward on. I feel so stressed waiting for this clearance. How did you finally get on?
Reply 8
Original post by pollyb42
I am in same boat as you were a few months ago. I have had an offer (EO grade) and submitted paperwork and ticked for disability too although concerned as ticked for hearing loss but didn't like the wording as said something like 'substantialy impacts day to day life'. So to tick or not to tick? I ticked as felt I may come back on me not to tick about hearing. Few days ago got a 'call saying you recently applied for a job at DWP (i applied for few and a few interviews but only offically been offered and accepted one) so didn't like to say 'which one'. She asked, 'have you got any qualifications like GCSE or A levels?' I thought odd to ask. I said I have a degree and a PGCE. Tthat was all but just felt 'are they picking holes' in my applciation so re read the paperwork I sent after initial offer and began to feel was I right to tick the hearing description/disability bit as gives impression incapable of doing job the way they have worded it. I rang a lday who offered me post and me ticking hearing box she said not to worry but i will add your message and forward on. I feel so stressed waiting for this clearance. How did you finally get on?

How are you getting on with things?

Just so you know - the disability ticking will not be a negative thing. It can take longer to get checks done, but that's not for negative reasons; often it just means that Occupational Health will want to speak to you, so it takes a bit (or a lot!) longer to get things organised.

I had to tick the disability box in my pre-employment checks for DWP - I have severe mental health problems, including having been in hospital for 5 months not too long before I began at DWP. All that happened was that OH gave me a call, went through my background/history/current impact/how I cope with my condition/whether it's under control etc. They're looking to see if you need any reasonable adjustments made to help you do the job. It sounds like your condition has no impact on your capability for work, so honestly please don't stress about it (easier said than done I know!). DWP are very very good and very supportive in my experience. :smile:
Reply 9
I had paperwork to complete for OH last week but never asked any questions about hearing! I have been informed by friends that they have received reference requests so thins seem to be moving. Hopefully, all be done soonish. Thank you very much for reply and hope you are enjoying your job.
I had paperwork to complete for OH last week but never asked any questions about hearing! I have been informed by friends that they have received reference requests so thins seem to be moving. Hopefully, all be done soonish. Thank you very much for reply and hope you are enjoying your job.

Do they only want character references?
Initially, last employer within 3 years and then 1 character. But then received email week or so after asking for two character. I contacted them today as thought my 20 days up tomorrow but said they are waiting for heath check and DBS (although I already had one and supplied number). She said they are both dealt with with outside agencies so out of their control. I'm so eager to know as the job requires me to move and rent and viewed a lovely property I want to secure!
Hello, Firstly, I have gained a great sense of support from this specific forum! These pre-employment checks seem to be more nerve-wracking than the actual interview process! Totally understandable, though, given the nature of the job. I was wondering if anyone can advise? I have completed the online on-boarding form, the DBS form and the Occupational Health questionnaire. I was invited to accept the offer of employment with the Civil Service towards the end of July, and I think it's very unlikely that the checks will be completed until a few weeks yet. Does anyone happen to know what the next step of the procedure is? Will I be invited to to an Occupational Health appointment (on my questionnaire, it prompted me for dates that I could not attend an appointment)? Secondly, and more importantly, I have yet to notify my current managers of my intention to resign. I'm worried that the offer will be withdraw (I'm a worrier), so I don't want to tell them just yet. I understand that the pre-employment offer is the closest thing of a confirmation I will get at this stage, but I still worry. When do you think I should tell my managers? I don't want to leave it too late, and they find out when the references requests are made. I have a very good relationship with my managers (hence, why I am dreading telling them because I don't want them to be too disappointed at me leaving), and do want to have ample time and opportunity to explain to them why I intend to take up this job offer (better prospects, closer alignment to my interests etc.) Please help! Thank you in advance.
Original post by TheProtagonist
Hello, Firstly, I have gained a great sense of support from this specific forum! These pre-employment checks sey tell them just managers (hence, why I am dreading telling them because I don't want them to ects, closer alignment to my interests etc.) Please help! Thank you in advance.

Hi, I hope you have made some progress since writing this? It is now 20 working days (and as I've contacted CS I know they have today as my potential end of checking day as been told). I don't have worry of current employer as ot working but do need to move to rental to do job offered so there is so much to get on with! It is certainly stressful process, more so than interview. I have been in touch with lady by email that requested my OH request but was weird as only one page and asked nothing about y hearing disability or when to contact so mentioned in email I'm now worried I'm missed something but don't feel I could have forwarded unless completed which often the case. I've since seen the job re advertised so this wait is doing nothing for my confidence!
Hi all,

I've sent off my background check forms and evidence to parity and my movements form to the civil service (direct appointment). Anyone have any estimates for about how long it'll be to be given a final appointment offer (to replace my provisional offer) at this stage? Would the end of September be a reasonable assumption?
It took five weeks for them to get back to me after I sent away all the forms, and when they got back to me it was just Parity asking if they could approach my current employer for a reference. Apparently it is a few more weeks after before you hear about a formal offer - I've been given estimates of another 2 weeks to 2 months for this.

It's been very difficult because I was told to inform my current employer they were going to be approached for references but I was told that I was not to hand in my notice as I don't have a firm offer, which is conditional on security checks. I argued this point, but was told security checks can't be finalised until they've got references from my current employer. It's a terrible system in my opinion, and I am left in limbo now as my current employer has naturally taken this as me giving my notice and I'll be jobless in a week.
Original post by Snoopy26
It took five weeks for them to get back to me after I sent away all the forms, and when they got back to me it was just Parity asking if they could approach my current employer for a reference. Apparently it is a few more weeks after before you hear about a formal offer - I've been given estimates of another 2 weeks to 2 months for this.

It's been very difficult because I was told to inform my current employer they were going to be approached for references but I was told that I was not to hand in my notice as I don't have a firm offer, which is conditional on security checks. I argued this point, but was told security checks can't be finalised until they've got references from my current employer. It's a terrible system in my opinion, and I am left in limbo now as my current employer has naturally taken this as me giving my notice and I'll be jobless in a week.

I have had a call about start date this morning. Im not working so need for notice. I contacted cs just a few days ago and they said they were having delays with outside agencies ans whether they could bypass. I did already have a DBS form 2016, althought i dont think this matters much. Due to disability/hearing loss i also had a call from OH just before the job call. They are leaving start date to me a job is not local but 250 miles away!!!! So need to sort rental. You will be fine but understand not ideal and have to agree the whole process after provisional offer is stressful. Good luck!
I have had a call about start date this morning. Im not working so need for notice. I contacted cs just a few days ago and they said they were having delays with outside agencies ans whether they could bypass. I did already have a DBS form 2016, althought i dont think this matters much. Due to disability/hearing loss i also had a call from OH just before the job call. They are leaving start date to me a job is not local but 250 miles away!!!! So need to sort rental. You will be fine but understand not ideal and have to agree the whole process after provisional offer is stressful. Good luck!

That's good news re getting your start date. I'm not surprised if there are delays, there are so many of us they've got to process. I'm not too worried about a brief period of joblessness as I'm not paying rent at the moment.

Good luck with your 250 mile move!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Snoopy26
That's good news re getting your start date. I'm not surprised if there are delays, there are so many of us they've got to process. I'm not too worried about a brief period of joblessness as I'm not paying rent at the moment.

Good luck with your 250 mile move!

Thank you and hope you sorted soon. What department you going to be working in?
Thank you and hope you sorted soon. What department you going to be working in?

Thanks - and if I told you that I'd have to kill you :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending