The Student Room Group

gcse help

i am in year 10 going into year 11. i am hoping to get all 9's. do you think that is possible? and if yes, please advise me on tips.
It kinda of depends on your current level. If you work hard enough, anything is possible. I only done new English and maths gcse so I am not sure about other subjects. If I were you, I'd start to work on your weakest subjects cos in year 11, you will have countless mocks and would spent most of the time stabilising your knowledge. Getrevising, mathsgenie and CGP books are good resources. For English, find sample assessments on websites and practice on them. I practiced ALOT! Get your teachers to mark them and grade them for you.
Practice past papers!
It would be a good idea to start making some resources. Revise little by little. I am someone who crammed everything the night before my gcse, but I wished I had not cos it did not work for every subject and it was very tiring to do so.
Reply 2
Try you best but don't feel down if you don't achieve it. I read an estimate that there would be only 2 or 3 people in the country who get straight 9s when all GCSEs are on 9-1 grades.
Reply 3
Original post by Janej77
It kinda of depends on your current level. If you work hard enough, anything is possible. I only done new English and maths gcse so I am not sure about other subjects. If I were you, I'd start to work on your weakest subjects cos in year 11, you will have countless mocks and would spent most of the time stabilising your knowledge. Getrevising, mathsgenie and CGP books are good resources. For English, find sample assessments on websites and practice on them. I practiced ALOT! Get your teachers to mark them and grade them for you.
Practice past papers!
It would be a good idea to start making some resources. Revise little by little. I am someone who crammed everything the night before my gcse, but I wished I had not cos it did not work for every subject and it was very tiring to do so.

thanks so much for replying. when do you think i should start revising, in the summer holidays or later on?
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
Try you best but don't feel down if you don't achieve it. I read an estimate that there would be only 2 or 3 people in the country who get straight 9s when all GCSEs are on 9-1 grades.

thanks so much for replying. i am hoping to get all 9's because i am doing 9 gcses that have the new specification and one gcse that is the old one. what grades do you think are good because i hope my dreams are reasonable. i just go to a state school and most of my teachers arent great. how many grades do you think one can progress in the space between december and may???
Original post by hellobear
thanks so much for replying. when do you think i should start revising, in the summer holidays or later on?

I think you should start light revision some time after the Christmas holiday and do lots of revision in march/april. You don't need to spent all your time stuffing your head into books. understanding is essential. There is no point copying notes again and again and not understanding them. I did not spent hours and hours like my classmate did but I came out with A*s with my sciences.
Reply 6
Original post by Janej77
I think you should start light revision some time after the Christmas holiday and do lots of revision in march/april. You don't need to spent all your time stuffing your head into books. understanding is essential. There is no point copying notes again and again and not understanding them. I did not spent hours and hours like my classmate did but I came out with A*s with my sciences.

thanks so much, do you mind me asking what you got for your gcses? was it really hard? is it nerve-racking going into the hall?
thanks so much, do you mind me asking what you got for your gcses? was it really hard? is it nerve-racking going into the hall?

I got 6A*, 2A, 7,6 and 9. I was expecting good grades on my sciences and maths and the rest to be As. The maths was alright for me, it was just the last questions on the papers that were bit hard. But it was not so hard overall. It was definitely frightening going there for the first exam, but then u get used to it. I panicked a lot before the exam and for one exam I slept at 2 due to nerves! Tbh, the best thing u can do is to give it all u have got. Once u've tried ur best, there is nothing more u can do.
Hope this helps. Good luck with ur gcses. Aim high. Work hard.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Janej77
I got 6A*, 2A, 7,6 and 9. I was expecting good grades on my sciences and maths and the rest to be As. The maths was alright for me, it was just the last questions on the papers that were bit hard. But it was not so hard overall. It was definitely frightening going there for the first exam, but then u get used to it. I panicked a lot before the exam and for one exam I slept at 2 due to nerves! Tbh, the best thing u can do is to give it all u have got. Once u've tried ur best, there is nothing more u can do.
Hope this helps. Good luck with ur gcses. Aim high. Work hard.

omg you did so well!! congratulations, thats so good. i hope i can get good grades, next time this year i will have my results, lets just hope im happy with them. thanks so much for replying!!
I am sure that if you put all the hard work in then it certainly is possible! I started revising properly in March- however I was organised before and created all my revision materials before my mocks etc, so when it came to the real exams it was just about going over things for me. I used hundreds of flash cards for each subject- they do take ages to write out, however they were the best option for me and were so easy to just pick up and use when revising for my exams! I'd go over each topic several times throughout the year which made it so much easier when it came to summer! I achieved 5As and 4A*s, so yes if you put in the work then you can do so well! Especially if you get started early if you're anything like me!😂
Reply 10
Original post by lauren9401
I am sure that if you put all the hard work in then it certainly is possible! I started revising properly in March- however I was organised before and created all my revision materials before my mocks etc, so when it came to the real exams it was just about going over things for me. I used hundreds of flash cards for each subject- they do take ages to write out, however they were the best option for me and were so easy to just pick up and use when revising for my exams! I'd go over each topic several times throughout the year which made it so much easier when it came to summer! I achieved 5As and 4A*s, so yes if you put in the work then you can do so well! Especially if you get started early if you're anything like me!😂

thanks so much for replying and congratulations on your results, thats so good. what subjects did you take?
thanks so much for replying and congratulations on your results, thats so good. what subjects did you take?

No problem and thank you very much!!! I took English Lit and language, maths, biology , chemistry, physics, history, geography and RE. If you ever need any help or advice you know where I am :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest