The Student Room Group

EPQ Ideas

Hey just wondering if anyone has any ideas/suggestions for my EPQ this September?

Thanks
Original post by 12KK
Hey just wondering if anyone has any ideas/suggestions for my EPQ this September?

Thanks

Your EPQ topic needs to be something which is related to your own interests. Have a think about the subject(s) you're interested in, and explore topics within that to see which could be possibilities for your EPQ (if you want to do the 5000 word essay, something a bit controversial is good so that you can write about different arguments and arrive at a conclusion). Remember that your EPQ topic cannot overlap with any topic you're studying at A Level :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply - I'm doing A Level Maths, Eng Lit, Business, and sociology (but might change this to physics/biology)... what do you mean about EPQ topics overlapping with my a level topics?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 12KK
Thanks for your reply - I'm doing A Level Maths, Eng Lit, Business, and sociology (but might change this to physics/biology)... what do you mean about EPQ topics overlapping with my a level topics?

I can't remember the reason, but when I did my extended project we were told to choose a topic which didn't come up on any of our A Level subject specifications - sorry if I wasn't clear! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Leviathan1741
I can't remember the reason, but when I did my extended project we were told to choose a topic which didn't come up on any of our A Level subject specifications - sorry if I wasn't clear! :smile:

Oh ok, I get you now... thanks for your reply! Has helped me really! 😂👍🏽 What A Levels did you do..?
Original post by 12KK
Oh ok, I get you now... thanks for your reply! Has helped me really! 😂👍🏽 What A Levels did you do..?

You're welcome! I did A Level Geology, Geography and ICT, and AS Level Environmental Studies :smile:
Reply 6
You're welcome! I did A Level Geology, Geography and ICT, and AS Level Environmental Studies :smile:

That's good, was A Level Geography hard? My school doesn't offer Environmental studies.. along with a lot of other things I wanted to do 😒
Original post by 12KK
That's good, was A Level Geography hard? My school doesn't offer Environmental studies.. along with a lot of other things I wanted to do 😒

I honestly found Geography to be my most difficult and stressful subject. I struggled with the style of the exam questions and answers (I found the exam questions to be quite ambiguous), and I found the human geography side of things really dull. I'm glad I did it, but yes, it was hard (for me atleast) :smile:
I'm doing a psychology-related EPQ at the moment and I just had to have a note from my psychology teacher to say that my project didn't overlap with the A-level course. :smile:
Reply 9
I honestly found Geography to be my most difficult and stressful subject. I struggled with the style of the exam questions and answers (I found the exam questions to be quite ambiguous), and I found the human
geography side of things really dull. I'm glad I did it, but yes, it was hard (for me atleast) :smile:

I hate ambiguous questions..! Tbh, I'm in two minds about taking either geography or business..? I don't know which I'll be better at/enjoy more
Original post by 12KK
I hate ambiguous questions..! Tbh, I'm in two minds about taking either geography or business..? I don't know which I'll be better at/enjoy more

I hate them too :tongue:

Have you got any ideas for what you'd like to study after A Levels? Either would go well with your current subject options, I think :smile:
Reply 11
I hate them too :tongue:

Have you got any ideas for what you'd like to study after A Levels? Either would go well with your current subject options, I think :smile:

I'd like to do a Business and HR Management degree at a good uni, so a lot of people are advising me to A Level business, whereas loads of other people are saying geography A Level is more highly regarded in university eyes in comparison with business..

It's making me feel really conflicted!
Original post by 12KK
I'd like to do a Business and HR Management degree at a good uni, so a lot of people are advising me to A Level business, whereas loads of other people are saying geography A Level is more highly regarded in university eyes in comparison with business..

It's making me feel really conflicted!

Having had a quick look at the entry requirements for a few Business and HR Management courses, there don't seem to be any required subjects, so you could take either business or geography. Perhaps contacting some of the universities you like the look of to see which combination they would prefer would help you decide? :smile:
Reply 13
Having had a quick look at the entry requirements for a few Business and HR Management courses, there don't seem to be any required subjects, so you could take either business or geography. Perhaps contacting some of the universities you like the look of to see which combination they would prefer would help you decide? :smile:

Thanks! I will contact some of the unis and ask them! 😊
Original post by 12KK
Thanks! I will contact some of the unis and ask them! 😊

No problem! Best of luck :h:
The EPQ is actually a waste of time. Having done it last year I can tell you that it doesn't help your application to university at all. It just takes time away from your A levels. I know you're considering topics but do give some thought about whether you should bother with it at all too. You might find it helpful to have a read of my experience here:
masumahjannah.wordpress.com/should-i-do-the-epq
I read that unis like it if you do an epq based on something you want to do in the future as it shows you are determined and we'll versed in the topic. I want to be an oncologist so I did mine on cancer
Try to do it on something related to what you've covered at A level. I did mine on history for something v similar to what we were doing in class and it made my life so much easier - i had background knowledge plus I could use my school textbooks/history teachers for "wider reading" lol. Choosing a broad title allowing u to argue a point helps too cos u can use articles and evaluate well. Ik that some good unis like southampton and sheffield lower the entry requirements for some courses by 1 grade if u've got an A in your EPQ which is good cos i didnt find the EPQ ridiculously hard/time consuming compared to a levels. Plus an EPQ gives u so much more to talk about on your personal statements & i even got asked about mine in my oxbridge interview, so make sure the title covers something u really like if ur going down this route!
Reply 18
Thank you everyone for your replies, I really appreciate them! Will use the advice given 👍🏽 At my school the EPQ is not optional, so we have to do it.. I don't mind it if it gives me more to talk about it in my personal statement and helps me come across as more of an extra curricular student 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending