The Student Room Group

Medicine rant

I'm so burnt out trying to find a suitable career. I want a career in the medical field, i wanted to be a nurse for the longest time but nurses are treated like crap and called a 'doctor wannabe'. Now I'm considering biomedical sciences and apparently its a course for 'medicine rejects'. So sick and tired of every medical career being compared to doctors and medicine. Apparently that's the only suitable career and everyone else who works in the hospital are insignificant, and Asian parents are just making it worse.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rocky.00
I'm so burnt out trying to find a suitable career. I want a career in the medical field, i wanted to be a nurse for the longest time but nurses are treated like crap and called a 'doctor wannabe'. Now I'm considering biomedical sciences and apparently its a course for 'medicine rejects'. So sick and tired of every medical career being compared to doctors and medicine. Apparently that's the only suitable career and everyone else who works in the hospital are insignificant, and Asian parents are just making it worse.

Why do you care what others think? It's the Joe public that has this mentality and not those already in the profession....
Just bake cakes instead

I think you need to isolate yourself from what everyone else wants and stop caring what others think and ask yourself, what makes you happy? What do you see yourself as in the future? If it is as a nurse, who cares what anyone else thinks? Nurses are an essential part of a hospital system! Anyone who calls a nurse a 'doctor wannabe' probably doesn't have any integrity. By that logic, why should you care what they think?

And as for the Asian parents bit (I can relate), they push for you to become a doctor because they think that that is the most stable job you can get, with the best income. This is true to an extent. But they are your parents and tbh they just want you to be happy. So sit down and speak to them about it and let them advice you. Because, lets be honest, no one will care for you as much as your parents will.

Hope this helps ^.^

Nurses aren't called doctor wannabes. The standard, band 5 role is very different to being a doctor. The line blurs a little when you get into ANPs and nurse practititioners but generally the role is respected for what it is.

I think you need to go away and think about what you actually want to spend your days doing. What kind of role do you want.

And perhaps lose the chip on your shoulder, you're only getting in your own way.
I totally agree with Deyb! Just remember whatever job you get, it's going to be something you'll most lkely be doing till reteirement age and assuming that you're 17 now it measn that you'll be in this field for about 50 years or so. With this in mind you gotta cater to YOUR needs and nobody elses becasue when your sick of doing a 9-5 in a job that you don't like it won't be others that'll be doing it for you, you'll be doing it on your own! Do what makes you happ! If you would like to be a nurse then go for it! Honestly LIFE IS TOOOOOOOO SHORT to be thinking about what other people think.
Reply 6
Original post by Cravez
Just bake cakes instead

Some real insight, thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by Deyb
I think you need to isolate yourself from what everyone else wants and stop caring what others think and ask yourself, what makes you happy? What do you see yourself as in the future? If it is as a nurse, who cares what anyone else thinks? Nurses are an essential part of a hospital system! Anyone who calls a nurse a 'doctor wannabe' probably doesn't have any integrity. By that logic, why should you care what they think?

And as for the Asian parents bit (I can relate), they push for you to become a doctor because they think that that is the most stable job you can get, with the best income. This is true to an extent. But they are your parents and tbh they just want you to be happy. So sit down and speak to them about it and let them advice you. Because, lets be honest, no one will care for you as much as your parents will.

Hope this helps ^.^

Thanks i guess i am just overthinking and caring about people too much
Reply 8
Original post by Appio001
I totally agree with Deyb! Just remember whatever job you get, it's going to be something you'll most lkely be doing till reteirement age and assuming that you're 17 now it measn that you'll be in this field for about 50 years or so. With this in mind you gotta cater to YOUR needs and nobody elses becasue when your sick of doing a 9-5 in a job that you don't like it won't be others that'll be doing it for you, you'll be doing it on your own! Do what makes you happ! If you would like to be a nurse then go for it! Honestly LIFE IS TOOOOOOOO SHORT to be thinking about what other people think.

Thanks, i guess I'm just harming myself
Thanks i guess i am just overthinking and caring about people too much

Don't worry, we all do it but we have to remember to bounce back and do the best we can ^.^
Just remember that this is your life, nobody else's. When you're on your deathbed and think back to what your life has been, you don't want to have the realisation that everything you've done has been to please somebody else.
Become a Mongolian goat farmer 👨*🌾
Reply 12
Why not consider an allied health professional job? I.e. Physiotherapist, occupational therapist, podiatrist, radiographer, social worker...
Or pharmacy?

I'm a physio but got the opportunity to study medicine, which I am doing. Big decision maker for me was that if medicine and i don't get along or I'm not smart enough, then I still have physio. Basically, the only thing I'd loose is money :tongue:
i wanted to be a nurse for the longest time but nurses are called a 'doctor wannabe'.

I have literally never heard that before. Its a completely different role.
I don't know how old you ar3 OP but i suspect as I'm approaching 30 I'll seem like a dinosaur compared to most on here, however, what age has brought me is a touch of life wisdom. It is so easy to fall into a trap of doing what your friends want you to do, doing what society thinks you should do, not doing what you want to do because of fear of the reaction of others.... honestly, when you're approaching 30, married with two adorable (read troublesome) kids, youll regret every opportunity you missed because of trying to follow the crowd.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the people who surround you now (or at university) will be around forever. I have a few close friends that i keep in touch with fairly regularly (we fb message etc every couple of weeks) these are the friends from secondary school that i couldn't imagine my life without, yet if i see them 3 or 4 times a year, we are doing well! These are my closest and longest friends, and would be there at a moments notice if i needed them, but we each have our own lives.... none of us have followed through on what we had planned from school (although i am working on it, but its costing a fortune because of the way i have done it- instead of straight from school).

If you want to be a nurse or use applied medicine or be a refuse collector or a shoe shiner, do exactly what you want without fear of how others will deal with this. They havent got to live your life YOU have. Do what makes you happy and be your own person. I didnt know what true happiness felt like until i felt comfortable with my own mind and decisions.... it took me until mid 20s and a prolonged period of being single whilst my friends were away at uni to work out who i was a person and where i fit into the world.
Original post by nexttime
I have literally never heard that before. Its a completely different role.

Ikr, the only people I've heard be called 'doctor wannabes' and biomedical science students.

Who on earth called nurses doctor wannabes? I am a medic, studying to be a doctor and I have no problem in saying that Nurses are as important, if not more important than doctors. Ask a patient to tell you the doctors name, odds are they have forgotten it. Ask them to give you the nurses name and odds are they'll get it most of the time. (Obviously this is not always the case, just using an example).
im sorry you're reading into the stereotypes and peoples opinions waay too much. i think you are very picky and not confident with yourself, pick a career you like and stop caring about what others say or think.
Nurses are wannabe doctors? No, nurses are a very respected member of society and they are NURSES, not doctors, not surgeon, but nurses. It's their own profession. Biomed are more to do with research and they are defo not rejects, heck i've seen A* students reject their medicine offer for Biomed. (Biomed is a career that opens many wide doors, not just med).
So bottom line is, stop being one of those people who want to do med because it looks fancy or because their Asian parents want them to be. Become something you want to do, you have the opportunity to choose for yourself now. I wanted to do Dentistry for a very long time, but after a while of thinking i have decided to become a lawyer. It's just as 'fancy and prestigious' as med or dental, but its something that i want to do.

Become a clinical scientist. They're well respected and in the medical field. You can get onto a NHS training scheme post graduation.
Reply 19
Original post by Graduate_Medic
Become a clinical scientist. They're well respected and in the medical field. You can get onto a NHS training scheme post graduation.

That sounds good, I'll look into it. What degree leads me onto being a clinical scientist?

Quick Reply

Latest