The Student Room Group

Secret hours of revision for a*s

how many hours of revision should you do on a school day and weekend for a A* at A Level (ik everyone is different etc. but just a rough guide)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For A2? I started revising on January 13th. I just stayed in the library until like 6-7pm every day after college. On weekends, I revised for like 4 hours. These hours increased in the weeks leading up to my exams.
Reply 2
Original post by Inister
For A2? I started revising on January 13th. I just stayed in the library until like 6-7pm every day after college. On weekends, I revised for like 4 hours. These hours increased in the weeks leading up to my exams.

So on the average weekday, how many hours of revision did you do?
Reply 3
Original post by Texxers
So on the average weekday, how many hours of revision did you do?

I remember always trying to aim for 8hrs of work "in total" (lessons + revision), so if I had 3 lessons, I'd do 5hrs revision. If I had 1 lesson, I'd (try) to do 7hrs revision. This meant I split the day up into "8s": 8hrs work, 8hrs sleep, 8hrs eating & leisure.

I did this from the 13th of January to the 20th of May, then study leave came and I got very close to exams so I steadily increased up to 10hrs maximum revision until 26th June, when my exams finished.

You don't have to do this much, but I was very motivated
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Inister

prior to january...how much extra work (on top of lessons) were you doing? :h:

- sorry for intruding on your post feiow :oops:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by dlaws.
prior to january...how much extra work (on top of lessons) were you doing? :h:

I don't remember too well. I was concentrating on finishing my EPQ at that time, and also on actually learning the new content through homework and stuff. I also had admissions tests and interviews etc.

Maybe like 2hrs max extra work during free periods. I definitely didn't stay in the library after my lessons were done.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Inister
I don't remember too well. I was concentrating on finishing my EPQ at that time, and also on actually learning the new content through homework and stuff. I also had admissions tests and interviews etc.

Maybe like 2hrs max extra work during free periods. I definitely didn't stay in the library after my lessons were done.

ah i see, thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Inister

Sorry for jumping on your post, but may I ask what grades you got? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Courtney19
Sorry for jumping on your post, but may I ask what grades you got? :smile:

A* A* A

geography, politics, biology
Original post by Inister
A* A* A

Did you do political ideologies for A2 politics?
Original post by Inister
A* A* A

Wow, that's great, congrats! I'm doing biology too - I just received a B in a mock (we don't do AS) but I'm aiming for an A in A2 so I need to up my game somehow haha
Original post by MajorFader
Did you do political ideologies for A2 politics?

Lol yes, on Edexcel. I really enjoyed it
Original post by Courtney19
Wow, that's great, congrats! I'm doing biology too - I just received a B in a mock (we don't do AS) but I'm aiming for an A in A2 so I need to up my game somehow haha

Yeah Biology's a tough one (especially OCR this year). Needs a lot of time spent on it - I just made loads of flashcards and repeatedly cycled through them
Original post by Inister
Lol yes, on Edexcel. I really enjoyed it

What times do you have for that unit? I finished AS politics with a B and I am kinda disappointed but oh well. Are the essays much more harder to adjust to?
Original post by feiow
how many hours of revision should you do on a school day and weekend for a A* at A Level (ik everyone is different etc. but just a rough guide)

On a school day, probably a couple of hours after college. On weekends, maybe 3/4 hours, excluding time for breaks + procrastinating... :tongue:

To be honest it was fairly iterative - I'd do more or less based on how well I was doing in past papers.
I got two A*s at A level, I didn't have a set number of hours I just did work when I got home for a few hours every night and made sure I did a decent amount on the weekend. Don't aim for hours, aim to understand things.
I did 1-2 hours a day on weekdays and probably 6 hours on weekends. I worked throughout the year and tried to keep on top of everything. I tended to do the work we learned in lessons and then go over everything using textbooks.

At around the start of April I upped this and started my proper revision. I was probably revising 8 hours a day.

This allowed me to get 3 A*s in my A levels.
Original post by Inister
Yeah Biology's a tough one (especially OCR this year). Needs a lot of time spent on it - I just made loads of flashcards and repeatedly cycled through them

That's a good idea, thanks. To be fair I crammed and did 45.5 hours in the week before the mock so I'll start earlier for the real thing lol
Someone said above 'don't aim for hours, aim to understand things' and I think that advice is crucial. It's all well and good timetabling in hours upon hours of revision, but aim to complete tasks, consolidate certain sections instead of aiming for a set amount of time as it's not about how much you revise but how effectively you revise.
Original post by Inister
A* A* A

Can you give me advice on how to revise for biology?

Quick Reply

Latest