The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ineedA
Thank you :smile: also what's the social life like? Is it easy to integrate?

I mean, I found it really difficult, but I'm in the minority from what I've heard, so.... not the best person to ask XD
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Hey, please help with these questions:

- How long untill my accomodation is decided and i am informed ?
- How should I take the picture for the student card ?
- Can I leave off chosing modules untill orientation ?
- How hard will it be to find a job for weekends at once at uni ?
Joe, the accommodations folks have been saying about 1 week after firming an unconditional you will get an offer.

Tip- when you get the offer go to "print bank letter" to get your actual room.

We took the pic with a cell phone against a white wall. It's just for your id, it doesn't need to be model quality.

I would put in your compulsory modules now and your best guess at your optional ones. You can change at advising appointment.

No idea on jobs!
Original post by ElizabethRG
I mean, I found it really difficult, but I'm in the minority from what I've heard, so.... not the best person to ask XD

Really ? How come?
Original post by ineedA
Really ? How come?

It was a very different culture for me. I went from being a high performance athlete at an elite girl's school, which in some ways created a very 'sheltered' environment, to being at a place where excessive drinking and noisy, disrespectful parties were the norm. I didn't want to be part of that culture, so it took me a while longer to find a group of people I fit into. Also, the societies I initially joined didn't work out well - one took way to much pride in dangerous behaviours, and the other was very unforgiving if you didn't want to be involved in their party scene.

Honestly it's all down to you and what you like. It's also a lot of trial and error; took me 2.5 years to figure it out, but after I did, I've never been happier with my social life.

Most people adjust pretty well though. Just don't panic if it takes a bit longer.
It was a very different culture for me. I went from being a high performance athlete at an elite girl's school, which in some ways created a very 'sheltered' environment, to being at a place where excessive drinking and noisy, disrespectful parties were the norm. I didn't want to be part of that culture, so it took me a while longer to find a group of people I fit into. Also, the societies I initially joined didn't work out well - one took way to much pride in dangerous behaviours, and the other was very unforgiving if you didn't want to be involved in their party scene.

Honestly it's all down to you and what you like. It's also a lot of trial and error; took me 2.5 years to figure it out, but after I did, I've never been happier with my social life.

Most people adjust pretty well though. Just don't panic if it takes a bit longer.

I don't particularly like partying and I am kinda allergic to alcohol, will I find it hard to fit in :/ kinda worried now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
I don't particularly like partying and I am kinda allergic to alcohol, will I find it hard to fit in :/ kinda worried now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't worry wolfmoon!

there's a crowd for everyone at st andrews :smile: we're nice folk, i promise.
Original post by wolfmoon88

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean, it'll be tough, but you'll find your people. I think my biggest mistake was giving up after two unsuccessful attempts. Meet as many people as you can, and don't get hung up on the friendships - or lack thereof - that come out of freshers week. No one is at their most authentic during freshers week.

Join any society you're even a little interested in, get to know your neighbours/flatmates in halls, and really just get involved. Anything that gets you out and with a different group of people is good.

Also, my patented party-going trick: I generally bring my 'drinks' in a plastic water bottle, which most days is just a soft drink and lemonade mixed together. No one questions what you're drinking so you don't have to worry about being judged, nor do you have to worry about a hangover later. And if the party gets too overwhelming, just say goodnight, and go. No one will remember who left when the next day anyway.
Original post by Capricancer
don't worry wolfmoon!

there's a crowd for everyone at st andrews :smile: we're nice folk, i promise.

Thank you :smile: :tongue:
I mean, it'll be tough, but you'll find your people. I think my biggest mistake was giving up after two unsuccessful attempts. Meet as many people as you can, and don't get hung up on the friendships - or lack thereof - that come out of freshers week. No one is at their most authentic during freshers week.

Join any society you're even a little interested in, get to know your neighbours/flatmates in halls, and really just get involved. Anything that gets you out and with a different group of people is good.

Also, my patented party-going trick: I generally bring my 'drinks' in a plastic water bottle, which most days is just a soft drink and lemonade mixed together. No one questions what you're drinking so you don't have to worry about being judged, nor do you have to worry about a hangover later. And if the party gets too overwhelming, just say goodnight, and go. No one will remember who left when the next day anyway.

Thanks for the advice :smile: will keep this in mind!
Hello! I am in student about to start year 13 thinking about whether or not to apply to St Andrews. I am looking to apply for Spanish and Arabic so there isn't that many universities to choose from anyway. I was really enthusiastic about St Andrews until I discovered that there's been many racist incidents (like the bongo ball) and it can be considered very classist. I'm not an ethnic minority but I am from a working class background and go to college in an open and ethically diverse background. I've also hard that St Andrews is clique-y and inafforable. Basically I'm looking for someone to perhaps clarify whether this is the case or if the univeristy just has a bad reputation. Any experiences/advice would be useful :smile:
Original post by xleo.norx
Any experiences/advice would be useful :smile:

I haven't officially started yet but I can already tell you that St Andrews has a huge international population - I believe it is 35-40% - this is huge compared to other universities and from talking to the people who will be in my halls it seems I'm a minority being from England! The people I've met so far have been wonderful and from open days it did not seem pretentious like Durham (which I hated for this exact reason). Additionally, the high international population means there will definitely be people who speak Arabic and Spanish as their first language which I assume would be very helpful to you - I saw this as a huge advantage for me to (informally) continue studying Chinese ☺️ I would highly recommend coming to an open day (if you can make it) as it really helps to get a feel for universities and if you would fit in.
Original post by Abby3112
I haven't officially started yet but I can already tell you that St Andrews has a huge international population - I believe it is 35-40% - this is huge compared to other universities and from talking to the people who will be in my halls it seems I'm a minority being from England! The people I've met so far have been wonderful and from open days it did not seem pretentious like Durham (which I hated for this exact reason). Additionally, the high international population means there will definitely be people who speak Arabic and Spanish as their first language which I assume would be very helpful to you - I saw this as a huge advantage for me to (informally) continue studying Chinese ☺️ I would highly recommend coming to an open day (if you can make it) as it really helps to get a feel for universities and if you would fit in.

Yeah I guess it is an advantage having so many international students however it doesn't really encourage me to apply because there may still be that issue of class divide. In universities like Exeter they have a huge population of international students but still have problems with racism and classism. What were your thoughts on the open day? Did people seem welcoming? I will try to go to the open day but expense is a real issue that's why I'm trying to get as much info as possible on here even though it may not be the most reliable place to ask ahaha
(edited 6 years ago)
It was the most welcoming place for me, yes (and I looked at more than 10 universities lol). I also really liked the traditions/ history of the university which I think will make it a more unique experience compared to other universities. As I mentioned I had excluded several other top universities for being too pretentious and snobbish but St Andrews did not give me that impression - it seemed quite humble ☺️
I've had a look through the thread and I've not found anything on the matter --

What is the situation with gaming now in halls? I'll be moving into DRA (0202 if anyone's interested!) and wanted to bring at least my PS4 as well as my desktop (for work and leisure). I've decided to not really touch them until everything has settled but gaming has been my biggest hobby and I wouldn't like to leave it behind. Is it possible to play online? I know IT only allow 1 wired connection, and that eduroam requires a log-in by wireless which is not supported on consoles, is this verified by MAC address? In which case could I spoof my PCs to be the same as my console or could I use network bridging (with 2 network cards)?

I only want to know for peace of mind when I do eventually set it up, looking forward to trying out some new sports during fresher's as well!
Thank you everyone for answering. I didn't even get the chance to ask you what I was concerned about everyting was asked. I just want to ask if the university is hard and what is the minimum percentage for passing the year. Sorry if it is a bit silly question.
So I noticed on the term dates there is a week in October (23rd - 27th) which is an 'Independent Learning Week', my question is: is this like a half term? Do we have to stay in the university for classes or revision sessions, or could I go away for a day or two?
I will be applying soon and my situation is slightly unusual as I have my maths A level already (I will be studying further maths this year). If I'm applying for physics, will St Andrews recognise my A* grade in maths and account for this in my offer, or will they expect me to achieve the entry requirements in my other A levels which I will take in May/June (further maths, physics, chemistry)?
Original post by CameronWood99
So I noticed on the term dates there is a week in October (23rd - 27th) which is an 'Independent Learning Week', my question is: is this like a half term? Do we have to stay in the university for classes or revision sessions, or could I go away for a day or two?

There are a number of students who leave St Andrews for Independent Learning Week to go home, etc. It really depends on how much work you are given over that week - even though there are generally no lectures/tutorials/classes you may find you'll have assignments, reading and stuff to catch up on!
Original post by ayten63
Thank you everyone for answering. I didn't even get the chance to ask you what I was concerned about everyting was asked. I just want to ask if the university is hard and what is the minimum percentage for passing the year. Sorry if it is a bit silly question.

Difficulty really depends on what course you're on, and how well you do with your subject! Work hard, keep on top of your coursework, don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it and you'll be fine. Typically to pass the year you need to pass each module (achieve a final module mark of 7/20 or greater) different subjects put this 7 passing mark at different percentages but it tends to be around 50%.

Latest

Trending

Trending