The Student Room Group

Reading suggestions

Just wondering what everyone's favourite books are that they would recommend. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Moved to Books, literature and comics.
Original post by Kat712
Just wondering what everyone's favourite books are that they would recommend. :smile:

Classics, classics and classics again!

My favorite in English language so far is the controversial novel the great Gatsby by Fitzgerald. Don't forget to mention Oscar Wilde's only novel, the picture of Dorian Gray.
If you're looking for recommendations then I'd recommend checking out some BookTube videos! Depending on what you're interested in I can recommend a few different people's channels?
Reply 4
Really depend what you're looking for the last fiction I read was sense and sensibility which I loved. My recent fav non fiction an adventure in human being by Gavin Francis which I'd recommend to anyone no matter what subjects interest you.
To Kill a Mocking Bird, I Am The Messenger and Good Omens are my favourites 🙂
Reply 6
Original post by Kallisto

My favorite in English language so far is the controversial novel the great Gatsby by Fitzgerald. Don't forget to mention Oscar Wilde's only novel, the picture of Dorian Gray.

Interesting! I'm going to be studying Gatsby for my A level in English literature. At my school we are comparing the great gatsby with The Rotters Club, which is absolutely hilarious.
Reply 7

Have you read Jane Eyre? It was the first classic I ever read and I loved it!
Reply 8
Original post by Ally-mai
If you're looking for recommendations then I'd recommend checking out some BookTube videos! Depending on what you're interested in I can recommend a few different people's channels?

Thanks for the suggestion, I really enjoy things like gone girl and any book that has humour in it
Reply 9
Original post by cat7
Really depend what you're looking for the last fiction I read was sense and sensibility which I loved. My recent fav non fiction an adventure in human being by Gavin Francis which I'd recommend to anyone no matter what subjects interest you.

I might read sense and sensibility, I've only heard good things about it :smile:
Original post by Kat712
Thanks for the suggestion, I really enjoy things like gone girl and any book that has humour in it

I don't know who to recommend for that sort of thing, most channels focus on YA. It might be worth just having a look around the internet, perhaps going on Goodreads.
Reply 11
Original post by Ally-mai
I don't know who to recommend for that sort of thing, most channels focus on YA. It might be worth just having a look around the internet, perhaps going on Goodreads.

Ok thank you :smile:
Original post by Kat712
Have you read Jane Eyre? It was the first classic I ever read and I loved it!

Just some excerpts in English lessons, unfortunately! and the real pity: it is not in my novel collection. :frown:
I love 'Ransom my heart' by Meg Cabot. It's not the most intellectual read but it's such a sweet and satisfying romance novel that I can't help reading it over and over.
I would recommend Dostoyevsky to anyone! The Idiot is my favourite, but the novella The Double is spectacular too. He really is a spellbinding author, and reading his books is a unique, disturbing, compulsive experience.
If u r into historical fiction ' To kill a queen ' is really good.
If u r into historical fiction 'To kill a queen' is really good.
Reply 17
Just some excerpts in English lessons, unfortunately! and the real pity: it is not in my novel collection. :frown:

I would really recommend it :smile: what's your favourite thing about the great gatsby?
I really like Persuasion by Jane Austen (but Sense and Sensibility is great too), and for even lighter reading Miss Marple and Poirot are always good 😊
Personally, i would recommend the lord of the rings, tolkien writes really beautifully and yeah its really easy to get hooked on the story

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending