The Student Room Group

Micro Debate: Are humans better at creation or destruction?

Some of you may remember the Microdebating forum from a few years ago... if not, then welcome to a new debating style here on TSR, and one with a twist.

Every Monday a new topic will be put up for debate, and your challenge is to get involved in the discussion, but only using up to 140 characters in each post, this post aside. Multiple posts are allowed, but no more than 2 posts in a row per person, please.

This week's topic is human nature, and whether we're better at creation or destruction. So feel free to voice your opinion here, and get involved in the debate!

Note: You can also suggest topics for later weeks if you like, just tag me into a post with your suggestion :biggrin:
Destruction because we wipe stuff out more quickly than we build it.
Rome was built in a period of many many years.

It burnt down in a matter of 6 days.
Destruction 100 percent. Only humans could create something as destructive as a nuclear bomb and write something as segregating and regressive as religions
Reply 4
Depends on the humans but earlier generations were definitely much better at creation than the current/recent ones.
we create only to destroy, whether we mean to or not. for example we use fossil fuels to make materials/power things and at the same time we are destroying our enviroment
I think both. Destructive as in we are destroying forests and other resources faster than we are replacing them. Speeding up global warming, as well as being one of the main reason for the mass extinction taking place currently.

However- look at EVERYTHING we have built, and it is only escalating. Our technology is getting more sophisticated, powerful and sustainable than ever before at an exponential rate. We have built amazing cities, and are innovating some to be more biodiverse with lots of trees and plants, such as the place in Singapore. We have been to the moon, and sent satellites beyond Pluto. We are trying to save the planet, that albeit we put in this position, but the fact we are trying to reverse or atleast slow down our damage is still amazing. We are quite empathetic and amazing animals at the end of the day. As long as we continue to innovate and make everything better, whilst destroying redundant things and ideologies it is fine.

Before creation there must be destruction.
We're equally adept at both. We create to destroy and vice versa in an endless cycle because such is human nature
Reply 8
We create with one hand but destroy with the other. How balanced those hands are is what the real question should be
It's just the way things work, it's a lot easier and quicker to destroy something than it is to create it. We create as much as we destroy, and with destroying something being pretty easy and creating something often taking a lot of skill, it's a hard question to answer.
Destruction is easier, but that doesn't mean you're better at it. French is an easier language to learn than Japanese but you can soon be better at Japanese than french if ya want.
I don't know how you define better...

I think creation. :yep:
Original post by MADMANMALIK
I think both. Destructive as in we are destroying forests and other resources faster than we are replacing them. Speeding up global warming, as well as being one of the main reason for the mass extinction taking place currently.

However- look at EVERYTHING we have built, and it is only escalating. Our technology is getting more sophisticated, powerful and sustainable than ever before at an exponential rate. We have built amazing cities, and are innovating some to be more biodiverse with lots of trees and plants, such as the place in Singapore. We have been to the moon, and sent satellites beyond Pluto. We are trying to save the planet, that albeit we put in this position, but the fact we are trying to reverse or atleast slow down our damage is still amazing. We are quite empathetic and amazing animals at the end of the day. As long as we continue to innovate and make everything better, whilst destroying redundant things and ideologies it is fine.

that last sentence tho :clap2:

I'm going to go ahead and vote creation although I do think it's a yin yang sort of thing. We destroy things to create something new and better from it. We also create things only to destroy them. Which one are we better at? Well, in my opinion our ability to create is the reason why the human race is thriving.
Original post by basicallyshrek
that last sentence tho :clap2:

I'm going to go ahead and vote creation although I do think it's a yin yang sort of thing. We destroy things to create something new and better from it. We also create things only to destroy them. Which one are we better at? Well, in my opinion our ability to create is the reason why the human race is thriving.

Creation takes time, you've gotta design things that work and then build them properly and make sure it's all correct. To destroy stuff, you can lob a rock at it.

Destruction is ez. A fish could do it. Mass destruction needs some creation tho. We created mining drills and big saws and things that light fires and swords and scythes and big **** off cannons and nuclear bombs and wrecking balls. All to get rid of stuff.

It's not the pacing you want to look at to work this out.
Original post by MADMANMALIK

:confused:
We're very good at being creative when it comes to being destructive.
Original post by shadowdweller
Some of you may remember the Microdebating forum from a few years ago... if not, then welcome to a new debating style here on TSR, and one with a twist.

Every Monday a new topic will be put up for debate, and your challenge is to get involved in the discussion, but only using up to 140 characters in each post, this post aside. Multiple posts are allowed, but no more than 2 posts in a row per person, please.

This week's topic is human nature, and whether we're better at creation or destruction. So feel free to voice your opinion here, and get involved in the debate!

Note: You can also suggest topics for later weeks if you like, just tag me into a post with your suggestion :biggrin:

If we were more capable of destruction then we would have never reached the point that we at currently. Obviously we are "better" at creating otherwise we would have never become a successful species.
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
We're very good at being creative when it comes to being destructive.

True but our creativity of destroying doesn't out balance the creativity that we possess of actually creating. We have creatively destroyed in the past however always progressed with our combined creative powers to create rather than destroy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending