The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3460
Original post by StationToStation
Hey, I'm probably applying to King's this fall :smile: I'm not british so haven't done any GCSEs but my UKCAT is 753 and my achieved A level equivalents exceed the requierements easily.

I was wondering if there are any King's students reading this - from some promotional youtube video I got the idea that King's is maybe more focused on mental health than other unis (which would be fabulous imo). Is this true? :smile:

Heyyy, did you hear back from King's? And what other unis did u apply to if you don't mind me asking and which ones did you get an offer from?
I am an international student as well, so was just wondering...:redface:

Your UKCAT score is amazing, I have mine in 3 weeks, hope I get 700+:frown:
Original post by Dubbb
Heyyy, did you hear back from King's? And what other unis did u apply to if you don't mind me asking and which ones did you get an offer from?
I am an international student as well, so was just wondering...:redface:

Your UKCAT score is amazing, I have mine in 3 weeks, hope I get 700+:frown:

Yeah, in fact I'll start studying there in September! I also got an offer from Exeter. Oxford rejected me post-interview and Edinburgh rejected me because of this ridiculous grade scoring thing.

Good luck with your UKCAT! Make sure you prep for the SJT - it comes as a surprise for a lot of people how important it is at many unis, including King's.
Reply 3462
Original post by StationToStation
Yeah, in fact I'll start studying there in September! I also got an offer from Exeter. Oxford rejected me post-interview and Edinburgh rejected me because of this ridiculous grade scoring thing.

Good luck with your UKCAT! Make sure you prep for the SJT - it comes as a surprise for a lot of people how important it is at many unis, including King's.

That's really great!!!! Yeah, I am considering applying to Exeter as well!
I know it's been long but if you don't mind me asking could you tell me how you prepared for the ukcat (what resources you used) and what did you use to study SJT coz in my practice I consistently get Band 2 :frown:

Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Dubbb
That's really great!!!! Yeah, I am considering applying to Exeter's as well!
I know it's been long but if you don't mind me asking could you tell me how you prepared for the ukcat (what resources you used) and what did you use to study SJT coz in my practice I consistently get Band 2 :frown:

Thanks!

Exeter is fantastic!

I used the ISC 1000Q book (v useful although harder than the real thing), the Medic Portal question bank (super annoying layout and too easy questions. Knowing what I know now I'd buy Medify instead) and the stuff on the official UKCAT website.

Tbh I don't have many tips on SJT prep as I always got way higher scores than the cut-offs for Band 1 in my mocks so I didn't really bother preparing. Maybe try to understand the principles most of the stuff depends on and go from there - the patient is your priority and you should be open and honest and act with integrity etc etc.

Band 2 is good. Band 3 would mean trouble, but band 2 is more than good enough at the vast majority of unis. :smile:
Hello guys,

I have an unconditional on the 5 year course for Medicine at Kings - Does anyone know how to enrol or when enrolment begins? I've used the portal messaging system but not had a reply and I've tried the admissions office today on the phone several times with no answer.

Thanks in advance,

Ralph
Hi I need a bit of advise please My stats are as follows: GCSE 13A* Predictions chemistry A* Maths A* Biology A* Ukcat 740 I'm trying to find out where I would stand the best chance of getting an interview without relying heavily/at all on my PS. I've done 2 years of voluntary work and various medical work/shadowing experience etc...paid job,paid tutoring, mentoring and founded and lead a medsoc and debate club.
Do you think that I stand a good chance here
Good luck for the future
Original post by timster32
nope

😂😂 quick and easy answer, in fact it's effortless
Original post by Hopeiseverything
Hi I need a bit of advise please My stats are as follows: GCSE 13A* Predictions chemistry A* Maths A* Biology A* Ukcat 740 I'm trying to find out where I would stand the best chance of getting an interview without relying heavily/at all on my PS. I've done 2 years of voluntary work and various medical work/shadowing experience etc...paid job,paid tutoring, mentoring and founded and lead a medsoc and debate club.
Do you think that I stand a good chance here
Good luck for the future

You'd get an interview at MOST if not ALL medical schools with that.
Original post by Lostperson
You'd get an interview at MOST if not ALL medical schools with that.

Thanks 👍
I know how fortunate I am but I want to avoid relying on my PS as much as possible because that will be subjective, hence the query
Good luck to you
Hey - just wondering if there was a Kings groupchat for successful candidates ?
Original post by MedicalJunkie
I haven't seen a thread so I thought I should start one☺️
I got 3A* 5A 3B at GCSEs but been predicted 2A* and 2A for A level and and A for my EPQ. Do you guys think Ive got any chance?

Hi Just to follow up on your thread. Did u get an offer? I have similar grades. 4A*5A1B(eng Lang) Predicted 2A*1A, UKCAT 720.
Others welcome to advise
Hey does anyone know the cut off for the UKCAT for the normal kings and the EMDP kings medicine course? thankyou :smile:
Original post by AD1505
Hi Just to follow up on your thread. Did u get an offer? I have similar grades. 4A*5A1B(eng Lang) Predicted 2A*1A, UKCAT 720.
Others welcome to advise

Hey how did you score that high on the uckat? how much revision di dyou do a day and starting from how long before? what resources did you use and how similar are they to the real exam? my test is in a week and i can only get through half the ques in QR
hey is their a chance if you get predicted 3A* or a high UKCAT that the EMDP for kings medicine can reject you because they think you should apply to the other course instead? please help me someone
Original post by mygcserevision
hey is their a chance if you get predicted 3A* or a high UKCAT that the EMDP for kings medicine can reject you because they think you should apply to the other course instead? please help me someone

Admission tutors recommend that you apply for the 5-year programme if you meet the entry requirements. So if you have 3A*s predicted and a good UKCAT I'd suggest to apply for the normal course, not the EMDP because there are people who apply to that programme because of their lower predicted grades.
I initially wanted to apply for the EMDP because my UKCAT wasn't great (I got 660 average), but I took the risk and applied to the 5-year programme and I ended up with an offer. King's looks at everything holistically so you don't necessarily need a 700+ UKCAT.
Original post by mithi98
Admission tutors recommend that you apply for the 5-year programme if you meet the entry requirements. So if you have 3A*s predicted and a good UKCAT I'd suggest to apply for the normal course, not the EMDP because there are people who apply to that programme because of their lower predicted grades.
I initially wanted to apply for the EMDP because my UKCAT wasn't great (I got 660 average), but I took the risk and applied to the 5-year programme and I ended up with an offer. King's looks at everything holistically so you don't necessarily need a 700+ UKCAT.

Thankyou but thats not fair ecause i do meet the criteria and havebeen at a state school all my lifeand feel i need to support btu can they actually reject you because of this? what if you havent applied fo rht e other course and they reject you from the emdp course? i think im predicted high but i dont think im going to get the A*AA kings want hence why i want to apply the EMPD so it can be my insurance or my firm. also i know my ukcat is oging to be bad- Whats the lowest UKCAT score youve heard going into the normal course and the emdp course?
(edited 6 years ago)
just checking what happpened to your application? i am nearly in the same boat: 4A*5A1B(Eng Lang), UKCAT 720, Predicted 2A*1A. extra curricular: Grade 6 Piano, Grade 8 LAMDA, School rugby and cricket team, volunteering at old age and children hospice, DOE gold. Any chance of interviews? Others welcome to advise
Hey how did you score that high on the uckat? how much revision di dyou do a day and starting from how long before? what resources did you use and how similar are they to the real exam? my test is in a week and i can only get through half the ques in QR

hi i just practiced questions and tests on medify and kaplan. i did around 3-4hours a day split into half an hour and 1 hour slots along with a mock every two days closer to the exam. in the actual test i found that timing really stumped me on the VR section as that was the first, so that was my worst section at 590. however i was doing worst at QR at home but that was my highest section at 890. for QR i would suggest just flagging questions that look like they require complex calculations and just guess an answer. medify was very similar in question style and the kaplan mock tests were very similar too. good luck!
Original post by AD1505
hi i just practiced questions and tests on medify and kaplan. i did around 3-4hours a day split into half an hour and 1 hour slots along with a mock every two days closer to the exam. in the actual test i found that timing really stumped me on the VR section as that was the first, so that was my worst section at 590. however i was doing worst at QR at home but that was my highest section at 890. for QR i would suggest just flagging questions that look like they require complex calculations and just guess an answer. medify was very similar in question style and the kaplan mock tests were very similar too. good luck!

Thankyou! how long before your test did you do 3-4 hour revision? did you ever complete all teh qques on QR when practisitng and did you perform better in your mocks or in the exam?
Thankyou but thats not fair ecause i do meet the criteria and havebeen at a state school all my lifeand feel i need to support btu can they actually reject you because of this? what if you havent applied fo rht e other course and they reject you from the emdp course? i think im predicted high but i dont think im going to get the A*AA kings want hence why i want to apply the EMPD so it can be my insurance or my firm. also i know my ukcat is oging to be bad- Whats the lowest UKCAT score youve heard going into the normal course and the emdp course?

I'm not completely sure if they can reject for being "how too good" for the EMDP. I know people who applied to both programmes and got interview with the EMDP. It's funny how they've increased the requirements to A*AA when in was AAA last year. Email admission tutors to get more info. Regarding UKCAT scores I know a person with 620ish that got an interview for the EMDP. For the 5 year programme as I said I got 660, I met few people at the interview with 650/655. So I would say 650+ for the normal course. King's take in count other factors such as PS and reference as well. Prepare well for the UKCAT and after you know the score you can decide what to do. Good Luck with the UKCAT and with the rest of your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending