The Student Room Group

Drink driving charge.

Hallo . I am sitting typing this praying someone will offer me some advice and guidance. In may of this year after I made the fatal error of having a few pints and as it is thought I would be safe driving home. I had gone to visit a mate for a chat after having lost my mother to cancer a few weeks had just passed.

I was under a lot of stress and strain from Uni work and my mums illness. Well to cut a long story short I have not told the uni yet and as it is before all this I had already spoken to them to take some time out of uni to deal with my mums passing. Trouble is the course I was or rather am on is a healthcare related one. I am so worried about this coming out and being thrown off the course.

I read a bit about the UNI rules etc but months after my conviction and it states that if you either have or aware you may be convicted or have a criminal record inform the uni. I still have not. three weeks ago my letter came through for my request for interruption and i will return next year April. Please assist what should I do? Or if any one can suggest some guidance or as with all the issues I have been dealing with I know I should not have drunk and chosen to drive. The Magistrate did take all this into consideration when sentencing me and as is will resume driving again in April next year luckily just in time to return to uni. has any one dealt with something like this? I am so scared to approach uni. I will still be asked to fill out another DBS on return and this will surely show up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gilliganzi
Hallo . I am sitting typing this praying someone will offer me some advice and guidance. In may of this year after I made the fatal error of having a few pints and as it is thought I would be safe driving home. I had gone to visit a mate for a chat after having lost my mother to cancer a few weeks had just passed.

I was under a lot of stress and strain from Uni work and my mums illness. Well to cut a long story short I have not told the uni yet and as it is before all this I had already spoken to them to take some time out of uni to deal with my mums passing. Trouble is the course I was or rather am on is a healthcare related one. I am so worried about this coming out and being thrown off the course.

I read a bit about the UNI rules etc but months after my conviction and it states that if you either have or aware you may be convicted or have a criminal record inform the uni. I still have not. three weeks ago my letter came through for my request for interruption and i will return next year April. Please assist what should I do? Or if any one can suggest some guidance or as with all the issues I have been dealing with I know I should not have drunk and chosen to drive. The Magistrate did take all this into consideration when sentencing me and as is will resume driving again in April next year luckily just in time to return to uni. has any one dealt with something like this? I am so scared to approach uni. I will still be asked to fill out another DBS on return and this will surely show up

Prepare for some hatred from TSR. If ever there was a reason to go anonymous.

I'm going to stick to facts. Your post is wooly and a bit vague in places. What exactly are you asking?

Have you been convicted of a drink-driving? And assuming that you have, what are you asking regarding your university course? Have you researched professional standards applicable to your course etc?

The only moral judgement is this. Everyone decent has sympathy for you losing your mum to cancer. But your choices that evening could have resulted in changing the lives of many more families. There's never an excuse or justification for driving whilst drunk.

The best thing to do would be to ask your university course for advice as they are more likely to know about the field of healthcare you wish to go into and how this will affect your chances in the future. Maybe re-read the university rules.

If you have been convicted it will always show up on a DBS. I don't know how long it takes for drink driving to be written off your criminal record.

I'm sorry for your loss but as someone else has said, driving drunk could have robbed another family of someone dear to them. Maybe someone else's mother. It is extremely dangerous and you put other motorists' lives at risk. This is not some petty crime.

The university would not gratuitously throw you off the course for this. The key issue is the relation of the course to professional registration. The university is unlikely to let you finish a course if you will not be allowed to qualify into the relevant profession. You need to disclose this to the university to find out what the profession's attitude would be.
It won't be easy, but you should just inform the uni and take it from there. Good luck with it

if you are sorry, explain why you are sorry, what were the mitigating circumstances and why you won't do it again.

if you are not sorry, lie about why you are sorry, what were the mitigating circumstances and why you won't do it again.

if you are not on a healthcare or social work or law or teaching related degree that requires a DBS / professional placement, you have almost nothing to worry about. you are a £9k per year little piggy bank and uni's love you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by nulli tertius
The university would not gratuitously throw you off the course for this. The key issue is the relation of the course to professional registration. The university is unlikely to let you finish a course if you will not be allowed to qualify into the relevant profession. You need to disclose this to the university to find out what the profession's attitude would be.

I honestly thank you and very much appreciate your advice. I have drafted the email i shall be sending off to my p tutor in turn as currently I am on interruption and this is the only method I have to contact them.. I should have it sent off today. Once again thank you.
Reply 7
Original post by YaliaV
It won't be easy, but you should just inform the uni and take it from there. Good luck with it

I welcome your advice very much so. I am on it in terms of drafting my letter to my personal tutor. Hopefully I will inform you of he outcome. I am deeply regretful of my actions.
Reply 8
Original post by nulli tertius

Thank you so much for your reply and advice. I am deeply regretful of my actions and what I could also have done to others. I will contact the uni and hopefully as you say hear from them. Kindest regards.
How far over the limit were you?
Reply 10
Original post by oldboy2007
if you are sorry, explain why you are sorry, what were the mitigating circumstances and why you won't do it again.

if you are not sorry, lie about why you are sorry, what were the mitigating circumstances and why you won't do it again.

if you are not on a healthcare or social work or law or teaching related degree that requires a DBS / professional placement, you have almost nothing to worry about. you are a £9k per year little piggy bank and uni's love you.

I welcome your wonderful response. I am currently drafting my letter to my tutor and hopefully your advice will come good. I am extremely remorseful and aware of the damage I could have caused others. I am currently on a ban and hopefully I will update you on unis response.
Reply 11
Original post by Reality Check
Prepare for some hatred from TSR. If ever there was a reason to go anonymous.

I'm going to stick to facts. Your post is wooly and a bit vague in places. What exactly are you asking?

Have you been convicted of a drink-driving? And assuming that you have, what are you asking regarding your university course? Have you researched professional standards applicable to your course etc?

The only moral judgement is this. Everyone decent has sympathy for you losing your mum to cancer. But your choices that evening could have resulted in changing the lives of many more families. There's never an excuse or justification for driving whilst drunk.

Thank you for your response. I am deeply remorseful and regret my actions. Totally out of character. However , i take on board you words and yes I was convicted. banned and currently await resumption of course in april next year. I have now drafted my letter to uni explaining everything to them.
Reply 12
Original post by constantine2016
The best thing to do would be to ask your university course for advice as they are more likely to know about the field of healthcare you wish to go into and how this will affect your chances in the future. Maybe re-read the university rules.

If you have been convicted it will always show up on a DBS. I don't know how long it takes for drink driving to be written off your criminal record.

I'm sorry for your loss but as someone else has said, driving drunk could have robbed another family of someone dear to them. Maybe someone else's mother. It is extremely dangerous and you put other motorists' lives at risk. This is not some petty crime.

Your words of advice are greatly appreciated. I accept everything you have said. I am deeply and still regret my actions and aware of the pain I could have caused others. I have many lessons learned. Totally out of character from me and well if I may say have not had a drink since and never will. I thank you once again for your response and advice.
Reply 13
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
How far over the limit were you?

Hie ..I honestly can not remember but enough to be banned for 12mths .reduced if i complete the dd course. I am deeply remorseful and it has affected me in more ways. I thank you for getting in touch.

Be honest and tell them asap. In future recognise that you re struggling with grief and don't turn to drinking or recognise you ve less self control at that time and have someone keep you in check .
I ve lost a parent and other relatives and I would never dream of doing anything that could hurt others even when I ve been in a horrendous mental state so I can understand why the magistrates didn't change your sentence.
Hie ..I honestly can not remember but enough to be banned for 12mths .reduced if i complete the dd course. I am deeply remorseful and it has affected me in more ways. I thank you for getting in touch.

You'd have to be somewhere between 36mg & 59mg per 100ml (for a breathalyzer) to get a 12-month ban, so you weren't massively over the limit.

Do the course, and as others have said, get in contact the with the Uni.
Reply 16
Original post by claireestelle
Be honest and tell them asap. In future recognise that you re struggling with grief and don't turn to drinking or recognise you ve less self control at that time and have someone keep you in check .
I ve lost a parent and other relatives and I would never dream of doing anything that could hurt others even when I ve been in a horrendous mental state so I can understand why the magistrates didn't change your sentence.

Dear TSR support. Thank you and your words have put everything in perspective. I will follow through. I have had along time agonising as i am some one who has insight into harm that could have been caused but that one mad moment has turned everything upside down. much appreciated.
Reply 17
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
You'd have to be somewhere between 36mg & 59mg per 100ml (for a breathalyzer) to get a 12-month ban, so you weren't massively over the limit.

Do the course, and as others have said, get in contact the with the Uni.

Oh yes I am definitely processing that . I hope to share with you the response. Kind regards.
Reply 18
I have re-read your message and can not disagree with you. My lesson has been learnt albeit the hard way. I am not a horrible individual or selfish. I made a fatal error of judgement. I am being punished now and yes I do sit and pray I did not kill or maim anyone. I will put my head down and contact the uni and equally complete the DD courses and hopefully move on. I had never been a heavy drinker more social. It is not an excuse a drink is a drink. What has also come out positively is I have not and will not touch the stuff for my own sake and others anymore since that day. Bless your day and thanks.
Original post by claireestelle
(edited 6 years ago)
mmmm
first re any offence you must report it at the first chance. failure to do so can be as serious as the offence. its an issue of trust and accountability. if you fail in this your likely to fail in a clinical error. and you then become not fit

your drink driving is obviously bad be grateful no one was hurt. i would recommend seeing your doctor grieving is painful for some i suspect like you it may cause a depression. get support from bereavement services and hopefully it should become more livable. im sorry for your loss.
re the offence as long as its not a repeat and you explain your situation. the likely out come is that occupational health will want to become involved i would advice stop drinking with luck you will be ok. but you must report yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest