The Student Room Group

Once again, Criminology questions!

If you've studied/still study Criminology, how has it been for you so far and why did you choose it?

To everyone, what's your general understanding and/or view of Criminology?

As for career prospects, how useful do you actually see the degree as?

Thanks!
What do YOU want to do as a career? Criminology will help you understand theories of offending, what may make someone come into conflict with the law, theories throughout history, some law basics, etc.

If you want to do a career involving offenders and offending, it is something to look at.
Reply 2
Original post by Sykeology
If you've studied/still study Criminology, how has it been for you so far and why did you choose it?

To everyone, what's your general understanding and/or view of Criminology?

As for career prospects, how useful do you actually see the degree as?

Thanks!

I did Criminology and Journalism at UG level and to be honest, I wish I had just done straight Criminology. I thoroughly enjoyed the Criminology aspect of my course and decided post uni, thats where I wanted to pursue a potential career. As well as working for the National Probation Service, I'm going back to Uni to do my MSc in Criminal Justice and Criminology.

I think sometimes Criminology gets a bit of bad press for being an 'ology', but I think if you study it at the right institution, it can be a great course to do.

It depends on what you want to do with it. You can look at being a Prison Officer, Probation Officer, Youth Offending Officer, careers in the Police, Drug and Alcohol recovery, etc. Its unlikely that a degree in Criminology would secure one of these alone, but there are a lot of volunteering opportunities in the field to build your skill set. It all comes down to what you want it for and how driven you are.
Reply 3
Original post by Alan88
I did Criminology and Journalism at UG level and to be honest, I wish I had just done straight Criminology. I thoroughly enjoyed the Criminology aspect of my course and decided post uni, thats where I wanted to pursue a potential career. As well as working for the National Probation Service, I'm going back to Uni to do my MSc in Criminal Justice and Criminology.

I think sometimes Criminology gets a bit of bad press for being an 'ology', but I think if you study it at the right institution, it can be a great course to do.

It depends on what you want to do with it. You can look at being a Prison Officer, Probation Officer, Youth Offending Officer, careers in the Police, Drug and Alcohol recovery, etc. Its unlikely that a degree in Criminology would secure one of these alone, but there are a lot of volunteering opportunities in the field to build your skill set. It all comes down to what you want it for and how driven you are.

Hello again Alan!
Informative as you were before, great response.
You seem to have very similar interests and aspirations as I do. I think the one aspect of the subject area that puts me off is that a large amount of jobs in the Criminal Justice sector don't necessarily require the degree itself. But on the other hand, I did apply out of sheer interest in the area without regards to prospects at the time.
Reply 4
Original post by Sykeology
Hello again Alan!
Informative as you were before, great response.
You seem to have very similar interests and aspirations as I do. I think the one aspect of the subject area that puts me off is that a large amount of jobs in the Criminal Justice sector don't necessarily require the degree itself. But on the other hand, I did apply out of sheer interest in the area without regards to prospects at the time.

Hey :smile:

I'm not doing my MSc for any form of career advancement, it's purely on a personal level that I'm choosing to go back to Uni.

Criminology at Masters level is like most other Masters in that it is not vocational based, but I do think it can inform practice depending on the type of work you want to enter.

I love studying Criminology. There are so many different avenues you cover and when it comes to Independent Study, there are so many potential areas.

As you know I was disappointed in NTU, plus I don't like the sound of their Criminology MA, it seems very Offender Management based. Derby's programme is new for this year but it sounds so interesting. Lots of different variety. Criminological Theory, Psychology of Criminal Behaviour, Practice and Management, Global Criminology are just some of the modules so for an extra 20 mins on the train, it makes sense for me.
Reply 5
Original post by Alan88

I’m looking to study criminology and was wondering what experience you gathered to get to your position
And if you’re still in the same job today
Reply 6
Original post by Alan88
Hey :smile:

I'm not doing my MSc for any form of career advancement, it's purely on a personal level that I'm choosing to go back to Uni.

Criminology at Masters level is like most other Masters in that it is not vocational based, but I do think it can inform practice depending on the type of work you want to enter.

I love studying Criminology. There are so many different avenues you cover and when it comes to Independent Study, there are so many potential areas.

As you know I was disappointed in NTU, plus I don't like the sound of their Criminology MA, it seems very Offender Management based. Derby's programme is new for this year but it sounds so interesting. Lots of different variety. Criminological Theory, Psychology of Criminal Behaviour, Practice and Management, Global Criminology are just some of the modules so for an extra 20 mins on the train, it makes sense for me.

Hi! @Alan88 , I have some specific queries for MSc in Criminology & Criminal Justice. Do you think this will open doors for me into understanding the psychological side of crime? How is the Criminology course at Derby, what are the future prospects?

There aren't very highly ranked postgrad courses for Criminal Psychology in the UK and hence I don't know if I should apply for MSc in Criminology & Criminal Justice. Any other recommendations for someone who is interested in studying the psychological side of crime?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending