The Student Room Group

Is it still possible to do the edexcel maths old specification

I plan to resit some a level exams in june 2018 to go from A to A*. But i have just heard the new spec is being taught from sept 2017. So my question is will i be able to do my resits in june 2018? Eventhough its no longer being taught

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by omw
I plan to resit some a level exams in june 2018 to go from A to A*. But i have just heard the new spec is being taught from sept 2017. So my question is will i be able to do my resits in june 2018? Eventhough its no longer being taught

Thanks

Yes - the 2017/18 A2 students will be doing this course, so you will be able to retake then as well.
Reply 2
Also, although I don't have anything to back this up that I can find at the moment, there may well be a retake season in 2018/19 as well. I shall have to find this out for sure!
Reply 3
Original post by Pangol
Yes - the 2017/18 A2 students will be doing this course, so you will be able to retake then as well.

Thank you for the response. Btw i did s1 in june 2016. Would i need to resit it as by the time i do my other exam it will 2018. Which is 2 years since my s1 exam or would my grade still stand
Reply 4
Original post by omw
Thank you for the response. Btw i did s1 in june 2016. Would i need to resit it as by the time i do my other exam it will 2018. Which is 2 years since my s1 exam or would my grade still stand

No, all units are valid for the lifetime of the specification.
Reply 5
Original post by Pangol

Do you know if students who wish to do the whole of A level maths in one year can do the old spec
Reply 6
Original post by 2025
Do you know if students who wish to do the whole of A level maths in one year can do the old spec

I can't see any reason why they can't do that in 2018 - all of the exams will be offered.
Reply 7
Original post by Pangol
I can't see any reason why they can't do that in 2018 - all of the exams will be offered.

Thank you :h:
Reply 8
Original post by 2025
Thank you :h:

Don't take my word for it though - check with the exams office of the school where you are going to take the exams. It will also be possible to do the entire A level for the new course in 2018 as well, so there may be some confusion!
Reply 9
Original post by Pangol
Don't take my word for it though - check with the exams office of the school where you are going to take the exams. It will also be possible to do the entire A level for the new course in 2018 as well, so there may be some confusion!

Okay thank you.:h: The new spec exams look harder :angry:
Reply 10
Original post by 2025
Okay thank you.:h: The new spec exams look harder :angry:

Looking at the core papers, they look to be about the same difficulty. I can't say the same for the applied papers however.
Reply 11
Original post by Pangol
No, all units are valid for the lifetime of the specification.

Thanks for all ur responses. Are u definitely sure of this? Thank u
Reply 12
Original post by omw
Thanks for all ur responses. Are u definitely sure of this? Thank u

The Edexcel specification for this course says;

"There is no restriction on the number of times a unit can be attempted prior to claiming certifi cation for the qualifi cation. The best available result for each contributing unit will count towards the fi nal grade. Results of units will be held in Edexcel’s unit bank for as many years as this specifi cation remains available."
Is it possible for someone who hasn't sat the C1/C2 to sit them alongside C3/C4 for the first time next year?
Reply 14
Original post by thekidwhogames
Is it possible for someone who hasn't sat the C1/C2 to sit them alongside C3/C4 for the first time next year?

I think...

The last time you can do a 1st sitting (as opposed to a retake) of an old maths module is 2018. So you could take all the maths modules next year but you can't just take e.g. C1 and C2 next year because then it won't be possible to do the others in 2019.

So you could do all modules in 2018 and get an A Level maths qualification. Are you planning to do further maths?

Also, if you take a module in 2018 then you will have a chance to resit it in 2019.

@Pangol does this sound correct? I don't know of any students doing all of the old A Level modules for the first time next year but it doesn't seem to break any rules.
Original post by Notnek
I think...

The last time you can do a 1st sitting (as opposed to a retake) of an old maths module is 2018. So you could take all the maths modules next year but you can't just take e.g. C1 and C2 next year because then it won't be possible to do the others in 2019.

So you could do all modules in 2018 and get an A Level maths qualification. Are you planning to do further maths?

Also, if you take a module in 2018 then you will have a chance to resit it in 2019.

@Pangol does this sound correct? I don't know of any students doing all of the old A Level modules for the first time next year but it doesn't seem to break any rules.

Alright, thanks a lot! To be honest, I'm not too sure. My teacher said to put me in for the new reformed Maths a level next year (the whole course) but I was checking if I can do the old spec. Which would you recommend sitting if either was an option - the modular exams or the new ones (I had already purchased 2 revision guides and workbooks for the new spec maths totaling 1,000 pages I think)?

I'm planning to also sit the FM course but it'll be the old spec - FP1-3, S2, M2-M3. So perhaps old and old spec is better than one new and one old?
Reply 16
Original post by Notnek

Yes, it all sounds fine in principle, but as I said elsewhere, it would be a good idea to check with your local exams office. The fact that it is also possible to do the entire new A level this year means that there may be some confusion.
Original post by thekidwhogames
Alright, thanks a lot! To be honest, I'm not too sure. My teacher said to put me in for the new reformed Maths a level next year (the whole course) but I was checking if I can do the old spec. Which would you recommend sitting if either was an option - the modular exams or the new ones (I had already purchased 2 revision guides and workbooks for the new spec maths totaling 1,000 pages I think)?

I'm planning to also sit the FM course but it'll be the old spec - FP1-3, S2, M2-M3. So perhaps old and old spec is better than one new and one old?

One new and one old won't work since there will be some overlap in what you do.
Original post by tiny hobbit
One new and one old won't work since there will be some overlap in what you do.

Alright, thanks for the help!
Hey guys,

My younger sibling is doing the old spec in Maths and Further Maths and can confirm will be available.

Quick Reply

Latest