The Student Room Group

List of schemes/networking opportunities for ethnic minorities?

Basically trying to find schemes for ethnic minorities candidates for help in getting into IB and Consultancy and I can only find a few, I thought I might share them for those who are unaware.
No bank has any networking events coming up for ethnic minorities at the moment, but if some pop up here would be good place to share them.

1) http://www.seo-london.org SEO First Year fast track
2) https://www.rarerecruitment.co.uk They provide networking events for some banks
3) http://up-uncoveringprospects.com/ Networking events with Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan and others
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Have you tried :
Concentration camps
Jokes aside , im deeply concerned with programs targeted towards ethnic minorities.
Its a bit endearing to label people and make them join a certain club.
Things should be open to all, and as always let the rule of luck choose who gets in.
Original post by Personinsertname
Have you tried :
Concentration camps
Jokes aside , im deeply concerned with programs targeted towards ethnic minorities.
Its a bit endearing to label people and make them join a certain club.
Things should be open to all, and as always let the rule of luck choose who gets in.

what are you white male?
I am actually a ethnic minority.
But that doesn't legitimise anything i've said. The merit lies in my words and not who i am.... ****ing identity politics.
Original post by thatapanydude
Basically trying to find schemes for ethnic minorities candidates for help in getting into IB and Consultancy and I can only find a few, I thought I might share them for those who are unaware.
No bank has any networking events coming up for ethnic minorities at the moment, but if some pop up here would be good place to share them.

1) http://www.seo-london.org SEO First Year fast track
2) https://www.rarerecruitment.co.uk They provide networking events for some banks

Are you uni student or A level?
I am actually a ethnic minority.
But that doesn't legitimise anything i've said. The merit lies in my words and not who i am.... ****ing identity politics.

Did you go to private school
Public in a poor neighbourhood.
I am quite privileged to have clean drinking water though.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/young-diverse-world-changers-a15b70133/
https://www.amosbursary.org.uk
https://investment2020.org.uk/vacancies?location=30
http://www.thebrokerage.org.uk
https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk
http://www.stephenlawrence.org.uk
http://powerlistfoundation.org.uk

Not all of these might be relevant, some are more website that post opportunities. Not all are just ethnic minorities and some are for different age ranges! Linkedin is a really good place to start as well. Good luck! Might as well use these opportunities while they are out there!
Public in a poor neighbourhood.
I am quite privileged to have clean drinking water though.

Sure mate, well I am grateful for these opportunities. If you don't want to take them we will, its not like they are giving you a foot in, all they do is give a bit of support and help you to network. People form privileged backgrounds do that everyday, society is not an even playing field.
I was more angry at the guy and networking. It just seems so disgusting to me.
Well off people congregating and talking to others who are all mostly controlled by corporate greed and wealth.
What wrong with a simple life. Whats wrong with mediocrity?
Original post by studdybuddy101
Did you go to private school

Sure mate, well I am grateful for these opportunities. If you don't want to take them we will, its not like they are giving you a foot in, all they do is give a bit of support and help you to network. People form privileged backgrounds do that everyday, society is not an even playing field.

Didn't you know? Only whites are capable of growing up in arty farty private/grammar schools with privileged backgrounds. Clearly the solution is to create exclusive events and fast track opportunities for minorities because as we all know, minorities can't possibly have been privately educated and grown up in privileged backgrounds could they?
I was more angry at the guy and networking. It just seems so disgusting to me.
Well off people congregating and talking to others who are all mostly controlled by corporate greed and wealth.
What wrong with a simple life. Whats wrong with mediocrity?

lol nothing is wrong with that. I personally live a very mediocre life now I think most of us in these programmes have and maybe some people just want more. Whether more money or a bigger house will really equate to happiness, well we are going to have to wait and see. But my mum does a mediocre job which she doesn't particularly enjoy, so I thought why shouldn't I aim for something more exciting. Also just because you are apart of these networking events does not mean you won't lead a mediocre life tbh. Everyone should be allowed to aim for what they please as long as they are not hurting anyone what is the big deal?
lol nothing is wrong with that. I personally live a very mediocre life now I think most of us in these programmes have and maybe some people just want more. Whether more money or a bigger house will really equate to happiness, well we are going to have to wait and see. But my mum does a mediocre job which she doesn't particularly enjoy, so I thought why shouldn't I aim for something more exciting. Also just because you are apart of these networking events does not mean you won't lead a mediocre life tbh. Everyone should be allowed to aim for what they please as long as they are not hurting anyone what is the big deal?

Its when people become too focused on a single ideal that they don't realise the real lives that they are hurting. These corporations dont feel. They only look at the numbers and the profit,
When children, people are hurting and war never seems to stop, they still look at their numbers.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Didn't you know? Only whites are capable of growing up in arty farty private/grammar schools with privileged backgrounds. Clearly the solution is to create exclusive events and fast track opportunities for minorities because as we all know, minorities can't possibly have been privately educated and grown up in privileged backgrounds could they?

Sarcasm is on point.

I think these programs should focus more on socio-economic standing than on ethnicity. They tend to be overrepresented by people who are already middle to upper middle class as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Sarcasm is on point.

I think these programs should focus more on socio-economic standing than on ethnicity. They tend to be overrepresented by people who are already middle to upper middle class as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM
Guys to be honest the point of the thread wasn't to argue about weather these schemes should exist or who they should target. It was just meant to be a reference point to allow students who fit the criteria of the schemes, the chance to use these opportunities to further increase their chances into getting a place in IB, Consutancy, HIgh Finance etc.

Lets keep the axe-grinding and moaning that people seem to have about these schemes off this thread.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Terry Tibbs

ERRRRRRRM actually most of these networking events you have to have gone to a state school and come from a low income background, so its irrelevant either way. Also the proportion of black students in private school is nothing compared to other races and just because black students are at private schools, doesn't mean they won't face discrimination which will mean them still not being able to get such positions or feeling uncomfortable in the work place. These networking societies are about more than getting your foot in the door, it is about making corporate environments more diverse so that when we get there, we can also have a good experience.
Original post by thatapanydude
Guys to be honest the point of the thread wasn't to argue about weather these schemes should exist or who they should target. It was just meant to be a reference point to allow students who fit the criteria of the schemes, the chance to use these opportunities to further increase their chances into getting a place in IB, Consutancy, HIgh Finance etc.

Lets keep the axe-grinding and moaning that people seem to have about these schemes off this thread.

Sorrrrry last one promise
ERRRRRRRM actually most of these networking events you have to have gone to a state school and come from a low income background, so its irrelevant either way. Also the proportion of black students in private school is nothing compared to other races and just because black students are at private schools, doesn't mean they won't face discrimination which will mean them still not being able to get such positions or feeling uncomfortable in the work place. These networking societies are about more than getting your foot in the door, it is about making corporate environments more diverse so that when we get there, we can also have a good experience.

Lmao you'd be surprised. A lot of immigrant black people are rich af (the few people in my network who are black and internationally mobile fit this overwhelmingly).

It's not just private school as well, it's high performing and middle class state schools.

As an fyi, offspring of immigrant african descent parents (who tend to be some of the most educated immigrants) are far more likely to achieve highly than the average low british socioeconomic kid; white or otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Lmao you'd be surprised. A lot of immigrant black people are rich af (the few people in my network who are black and internationally mobile fit this overwhelmingly).

It's not just private school as well, it's high performing and middle class state schools.

As an fyi, offspring of immigrant african descent parents (who tend to be some of the most educated immigrants) are far more likely to achieve highly than the average low british socioeconomic kid; white or otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know a lot of black immigrants are rich thank you very much, they are still a minority at private schools bring me stats if you can prove otherwise. TBH I am not really considering them anyways, thats another story, I have been to networking events at Rare and SEO and it is mostly Black British students and they do their own thing anyways, even at university, I can't really comment on them. Anyways, you completely ignored my second point. I am aware that black student from middle class background and rich backgrounds are a better advantage than most students, I myself think class is the most important factor. BUT, a lot of these networking societies recognise that. Not all, but most. And there are a lot of initiatives out there for all races from lower economic backgrounds e.g. aspiring solicitors or Sutton Trust. At the end of the day it is not a great percentage of British black communities that are prosperous, most of us are still more likely to be working class, parents didn't go to university and from lower income backgrounds. Most of the initiatives are for that demographic, and if black students from middle class communities get on board then there is also nothing wrong with that because at the end of the day, having money does not change the fact that you are black and will not mean you won't face discrimination or racism when it comes to applying to jobs or entering a mostly white profession.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending