The Student Room Group

Lelanor aims for (A*)A*A*A + 1,1 in STEP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by plklupu
Oh, I know how you feel. Here's to perpetual tiredness! :beer:

:beer:

I've been making up for it by sleeping in (which is why I keep staying up later and later each night) but once school starts I will be back to perpetually tired... but hopefully I won't fall back into the habit of falling asleep as soon as I get home and waking up incredibly confused a couple of hours later, that was really getting in the way of doing homework :s-smilie::laugh:
Original post by Lelanor
:beer:

I've been making up for it by sleeping in (which is why I keep staying up later and later each night) but once school starts I will be back to perpetually tired... but hopefully I won't fall back into the habit of falling asleep as soon as I get home and waking up incredibly confused a couple of hours later, that was really getting in the way of doing homework :s-smilie::laugh:

Oh god, don't remind me of unexpected naps that I hate myself for when I wake up...
Reply 22
Original post by plklupu
Oh god, don't remind me of unexpected naps that I hate myself for when I wake up...

They're the woooorst. Especially when you don't realise you're falling asleep, there's no hope of stopping yourself. And if I don't wake up pretty quickly then I just can't function for the rest of the day, it's kind of like I'm still asleep :/
Original post by Lelanor
They're the woooorst. Especially when you don't realise you're falling asleep, there's no hope of stopping yourself. And if I don't wake up pretty quickly then I just can't function for the rest of the day, it's kind of like I'm still asleep :/

0/10 would not nap again
Reply 24
I've updated the original post to include more details, and I'm sure I'll find more things to add to it.

I posted on my "studyblr" for the first day of the challenge I've set myself. Today's topic on that was just a bit about myself and my life right now, so here's some of what I said.

I currently have about a week left of the summer holidays before I go back to school to start Year 13. I’m going back on my birthday, for the second year in a row! I go to the sixth form of the school I’ve been at since I was 12 (that year school started the day after my birthday!).

Over the past few days I’ve been trying to tidy my room and sort out all my things, because I have a lot of things I don’t need - I finally threw away (recycled) a lot of school books and worksheets from Year 7 to Year 11 that I finally convinced myself I don’t need to keep. Today I finally cleared my floor and I was able to move my desk to the other side of my room, to a position I think would be better.

Tomorrow's topic: Things to do before summer ends

And wow do I have a long list to do in a week
Reply 25
Original post by plklupu
0/10 would not nap again

that's what i say every time, but do I nap again? of course

...okay I'm going to bed... soon... perhaps... definitely before 2!
Original post by Lelanor
Nice! I didn't really like stats at first (S1 is kinda tedious tbh, lots of adding numbers in tables) but I've heard that lots of people prefer the other stats units. I did tell my teacher that I can't stand stats though, so I'm sure he'll be surprised if I decide to do them :biggrin:

Yea I failed S1 aswell, think i scraped an A? but S2 and S3 are a lot different imo, gets a bit less tedious and you acc have to use your brain
What was ur UMS in each module in AS and A2 maths ?
Reply 28
Original post by Samendra
Yea I failed S1 aswell, think i scraped an A? but S2 and S3 are a lot different imo, gets a bit less tedious and you acc have to use your brain

I hated the S1 paper this year but luckily it seems like everyone did because grade boundaries were pretty low, which I benefited from... meanwhile on M1 I thought this year's paper was easy but got lower both in raw marks (slightly lower) and in UMS (much lower) than all the other papers!
Reply 29
Original post by Bob Stanley
What was ur UMS in each module in AS and A2 maths ?

Off the top of my head:
C1 95
C2 95
C3 98
C4 97
S1 96
M1 87
Original post by Lelanor
Off the top of my head:
C1 95
C2 95
C3 98
C4 97
S1 96
M1 87

Nice, gl with cam, you are applying for cam right, afaik thats the only uni specifying 1,1 in step?
Reply 31
Original post by Samendra
Nice, gl with cam, you are applying for cam right, afaik thats the only uni specifying 1,1 in step?

Yes, although not for maths - for Computer Science, with maths as the first year option. I can't find the STEP requirements for the college I'm applying to but some colleges say they want 1,1
Reply 32
I spent the morning doing D2 and I'm about to start doing some more. I'm in the middle of Chapter 3 which means technically I'm half way through the unit, but chapter 7 looks pretty long based on the contents page. I was originally planning to be finished with D2 by the end of October but I think I'll bring my deadline forwards - ideally I'll be nearly at the end of Chapter 5 by the time I go back to school and then finish the last two chapters ASAP.

I have been neglecting a few other things I have to do so once I've finished chapter 3 (hopefully only another hour or so?) I'll do some Spanish and some reading. Tbh the Spanish is also just reading so I'll be reading for the rest of the afternoon and evening, which I'm not that great at concentrating on.

I also changed my profile picture for the first time! It's almost two years since I joined (longer since I made my first account that I didn't really use) and I've never had an avatar until now? It's a picture of the robot we made for Student Robotics back in April... if anyone is interested, I recorded some of the matches from that competition https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_bH9_9TtjXG-_H2NizFIAQ/videos ('First Match', 'Sunday Match 2' and 'Sunday Match 4' are most interesting, my voice in every video is cringy)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lelanor
Off the top of my head:
C1 95
C2 95
C3 98
C4 97
S1 96
M1 87

Nice ! I got similar UMS in the modules I did this year (AS)
Reply 34
Original post by Bob Stanley
Nice ! I got similar UMS in the modules I did this year (AS)

Thanks and well done!
Reply 35
So to prepare for the new school year I've been trying to sort through my folders from Year 12 and I actually can't fit all of 3 units of maths into one large lever arch folder... I lifted the lever and the thing that keeps the paper down sprung out because there isn't room for it on top of all the paper. I don't think I'm going to be able to keep all that I wanted to keep.

I think the goal for maths next year is to waste less paper - not by doing less work but by not leaving so many lines between things, and using the whole width of the paper instead of writing one thing and moving down. I get through so much squared paper and my maths folder fills up really quickly.

In Computer Science, the department at my school (I say department... it's one permanent teacher and one supply teacher) wants to try going as paperless as possible so that will be useful for decreasing the amount of paper I have to carry around. Meanwhile we have to use exercise books in Spanish, which I kind of hate. I want to be able to take out work I don't need any more, and I want to be able to access my notes when my teacher collects in work - but I hand in my exercise book so one piece of work can be marked and I don't have any of my notes.

I'm procrastinating continuing to sort out my folders by writing this update so I'm going to continue now!
Reply 36
Update!

Obviously I've set some targets for my grades, but to reach those, I think I need to set some smaller targets to help me get there.

So I suppose my first goal is to be more productive and spend less time procrastinating. Procrastination has been a big problem for me, and so has a lack of motivation. I’m hoping to be considerably more productive than in previous school years, doing at least a couple of hours of work after school each day (including homework) rather than rushing through homework due in the next day at 10pm/leaving it until the morning it’s due in.
I’m also hoping to spend more time a weekends doing school work. These are my targets in the format ‘Basic target (ideal target)’:

Finish homework due in the following week (finish and write neat summaries of notes from the previous week)

Spend an hour on my Spanish independent research project (spend time practising vocabulary from the previous week and grammar)

Spend one or two hours on my Computer Science non-exam assessment (continue with unfinished typed notes from Year 12 content)

Do the minimum amount required to keep up with my plan [which I still need to figure out] for learning extra maths units (learn a bit more)

Unfortunately my weekends are looking pretty busy for the first half term (Saturday 9th At an open day, Saturday 16th Probably helping at school for the 11+ exam because I need the money, Saturday 23rd At an open day, weekend of 7th and 8th In Spain with school, then there’s one more weekend before half term)
At school I’m aiming to work pretty hard during most free periods - I’ll designate a few to not working, instead of just deciding day-to-day if I can be bothered to do any work, which is what I did in Year 12. That way I’ll know when I’m supposed to be working.
Another target I think is important is keeping my bedroom and desk tidy. A lot of the time I just don’t do any work because my bedroom isn’t tidy and I feel like I should tidy it first (and then I don’t tidy it, so I don’t do any work).
In summary I suppose my targets are:

Spend 2 hours+ on homework after school each day

Spend weekends productively

Work hard during free periods

Keep my room and desk tidy and organised

Regarding smaller academic goals, I think these will be my targets:

90% (preferably 95%) and above on maths homework and tests - I managed this most of the time in maths last year so I think it's a good target

Between a mid A grade and an A* in my CS non-exam assessment, 90% or above in class tests

For Spanish I don't know, it's difficult to know how well I'm doing as we don't have regular tests and homework isn't given a grade, so most targets I set will be difficult to measure

I’ll be checking back in on these targets later this month and probably adapting them based on what's working and what isn't.
(edited 6 years ago)
Good luck with your A levels and Step, I'm sure you'll do great!:h:
Reply 38
Original post by Tormund
Good luck with your A levels and Step, I'm sure you'll do great!:h:

Thank you! I've just seen your GYG, good luck with Year 12!
Any advice for doing well in mechanics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending