The Student Room Group

Resitting a module while at university?

I got into my firm choice but didn't get the grades I hoped for - the university was lenient for sure. I was revising during quite a stressful time (personal issues) and was wondering if I could resit a single module (WJEC).

For 4/5 of the modules, I got an A, but for 1 module (Unit 3) I got a C and got taken down to a B by 4 marks. I was hoping if I could resit this single module to scrape up 4 marks to take me up to the A and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I'd like to add my degree is Biology, which is also the same subject the module belongs to if that helps!!

Thank you x

Scroll to see replies

I highly doubt the university will allow this and you got the place anyway so what's the point? A levels won't count for anything once you have a degree so you'd only be doing it for vanity. Complete waste of time/money and you risk doing worse in your degree modules because you're spending your time on resitting a module unnecessarily rather than revising for your degree.
Reply 2
Original post by howitoughttobe
I highly doubt the university will allow this and you got the place anyway so what's the point? A levels won't count for anything once you have a degree so you'd only be doing it for vanity. Complete waste of time/money and you risk doing worse in your degree modules because you're spending your time on resitting a module unnecessarily rather than revising for your degree.

Ohh, I get your points about hindering my chances with revising for the degree, but I had heard others had resat a module in uni because it may have affected how employable they were? If you have gone to university could I ask how you found it/how strenuous the workload was? I'll be going into first year and thank you!
Original post by plaguemutt
Ohh, I get your points about hindering my chances with revising for the degree, but I had heard others had resat a module in uni because it may have affected how employable they were? If you have gone to university could I ask how you found it/how strenuous the workload was? I'll be going into first year and thank you!

If you've got a degree then I doubt A levels will affect your employability, especially as your doing a worthwhile degree. I'm going to be completely honest with you about my experience at uni here but please bear in mind that this doesn't mean the same will happen to you.

I'm about to enter my third year and in all honesty I chose the wrong degree (mostly due to pressure from my mom). I've never enjoyed it and have never had much motivation to do it. It is a very difficult degree and has a large workload and I never coped with it. As a result I have failed 6 out of the 24 modules I have done so far and had to resit 4 of them. I am still, however, on a 2:2 and am confident I can pull this up to at least a 2:1 in final year.
Reply 4
If you've got a degree then I doubt A levels will affect your employability, especially as your doing a worthwhile degree. I'm going to be completely honest with you about my experience at uni here but please bear in mind that this doesn't mean the same will happen to you.

I'm about to enter my third year and in all honesty I chose the wrong degree (mostly due to pressure from my mom). I've never enjoyed it and have never had much motivation to do it. It is a very difficult degree and has a large workload and I never coped with it. As a result I have failed 6 out of the 24 modules I have done so far and had to resit 4 of them. I am still, however, on a 2:2 and am confident I can pull this up to at least a 2:1 in final year.

I'm sorry you felt pressured to do a degree that you wound up not enjoying, but if you've made it through 2 years I'm sure you'll finish it with a bang! You'll do great I'm sure and best of luck with your final year!! :hugs:

(The large workload bit does sound a bit unnerving for me personally though LOL, I'd probably die)
why dont you get a remark first and see if your grade goes up?
Original post by plaguemutt
I'm sorry you felt pressured to do a degree that you wound up not enjoying, but if you've made it through 2 years I'm sure you'll finish it with a bang! You'll do great I'm sure and best of luck with your final year!! :hugs:

(The large workload bit does sound a bit unnerving for me personally though LOL, I'd probably die)

Thanks haha, that genuinely means a lot. Honestly though if you have a good degree in Biology (like a 2:1 or higher) I really don't think your A levels will hold you back. Also a remark is a good idea one of my A levels went up from a B to an A after I got it remarked.
Reply 7
Thanks haha, that genuinely means a lot. Honestly though if you have a good degree in Biology (like a 2:1 or higher) I really don't think your A levels will hold you back. Also a remark is a good idea one of my A levels went up from a B to an A after I got it remarked.

Original post by pleasechoose
why dont you get a remark first and see if your grade goes up?

I did consider remarking but bio seems less of subjective thing and I don't think they'd find 4 marks in one unit which is why I was considering just resitting :frown: But thank you, I'll have to look into it more again!

@howitoughttobe No problem at all!! Lemme know how your third year goes if you use the student room frequently (I'll try to be on here more to try and be more focused on academic stuff LOL), I'm here if you need any support etc. even tho I'm not even in uni yet so probably won't know much, but hey I'm here if you need someone to just listen!!
(edited 6 years ago)
@plaguemutt Aw you're so nice thank you! I don't use this forum much tbh but I'll bear that in mind if I'm every feeling sh*tty. And if you need any advice on starting uni from someone who's been through it (fairly) recently then don't hesitate to contact me!
Reply 9
@plaguemutt Aw you're so nice thank you! I don't use this forum much tbh but I'll bear that in mind if I'm every feeling sh*tty. And if you need any advice on starting uni from someone who's been through it (fairly) recently then don't hesitate to contact me!

No problem, keep on pushing through and doing you and it'll all be worth it in the end I'm sure!!
Reply 10
are you 4 raw marks or 4 UMS off an A (Im not sure how WJEC works and if its different)? I was 4 UMS (2.5 marks) off an A in biology and I got unit 5 remarked and managed to get an A. if theres essay writing in one of your units id defintly consider getting that one remarked as its probably more subjective, even if it wasn't your weakest module :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Kiimii
are you 4 raw marks or 4 UMS off an A (Im not sure how WJEC works and if its different)? I was 4 UMS (2.5 marks) off an A in biology and I got unit 5 remarked and managed to get an A. if theres essay writing in one of your units id defintly consider getting that one remarked as its probably more subjective, even if it wasn't your weakest module :smile:

I think it was 4 marks but I'd have to double check, and the other 3 units I had an A in have an "essay" question at the end with a set mark scheme if that makes sense? The other unit with an A was a practical with data analysis. Unit 3 is the one I got a C in, but feel it would be safer to resit if it was 4 raw marks rather than UMS? From memory I think it was listed as "mark equivalent" so I'm guessing that's the case lol

Anyways, congrats on the resit and good job on scoring the A in the end!! I hope to resit/remark or something to get the A but I'll see what my bio teacher thinks and if it is all in vain x
Original post by sunbears

After hearing this, I wouldn't be surprised if they said they can breathe under water. What utter nonsense is this?

That's ridiculous.

I'd understand it if they were referring to a particular uni module, but for A-levels that is just ridiculous.

Just leave your A-levels alone and focus on your degree. No need to be hung up on your A-levels.
There's no need because you got in
Reply 14
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
After hearing this, I wouldn't be surprised if they said they can breathe under water. What utter nonsense is this?

That's ridiculous.

I'd understand it if they were referring to a particular uni module, but for A-levels that is just ridiculous.

Just leave your A-levels alone and focus on your degree. No need to be hung up on your A-levels.

Thanks for the advice, I'll talk to others and see how my first year of uni goes first x
Reply 15
Original post by Reece.W.J
There's no need because you got in

Thank you, that's what my dad said too so I'll keep it in mind
Reply 16
Thanks for the advice, I'll talk to others and see how my first year of uni goes first x

I read the thing about employment n whatnot here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3546707
Reply 17
I think it was 4 marks but I'd have to double check, and the other 3 units I had an A in have an "essay" question at the end with a set mark scheme if that makes sense? The other unit with an A was a practical with data analysis. Unit 3 is the one I got a C in, but feel it would be safer to resit if it was 4 raw marks rather than UMS? From memory I think it was listed as "mark equivalent" so I'm guessing that's the case lol

Anyways, congrats on the resit and good job on scoring the A in the end!! I hope to resit/remark or something to get the A but I'll see what my bio teacher thinks and if it is all in vain x

how many marks was the essay? The unit I had remarked had a 25 mark essay with a rough mark scheme but not all of the points are in it so examiners might mark is slightly differently as it is a pretty big essay q. mark equivalent refers to the UMS if i believe
thanks :smile: I think resitting might be a bit difficult to manage while trying the focus on your degree, but the fact that you're doing biology would probably help! you could also get the paper back and go through it with your teacher to see if they think you deserved any more marks that you weren't given
Reply 18
Original post by Kiimii
how many marks was the essay? The unit I had remarked had a 25 mark essay with a rough mark scheme but not all of the points are in it so examiners might mark is slightly differently as it is a pretty big essay q. mark equivalent refers to the UMS if i believe
thanks :smile: I think resitting might be a bit difficult to manage while trying the focus on your degree, but the fact that you're doing biology would probably help! you could also get the paper back and go through it with your teacher to see if they think you deserved any more marks that you weren't given

Ohhh thank you! I thought it was marks lol my bad
I checked the essay for my exam board (WJEC) and it was 9 marks, QER(?). Getting the paper back is also a really good thought, thanks for the idea x
I got into my firm choice but didn't get the grades I hoped for - the university was lenient for sure. I was revising during quite a stressful time (personal issues) and was wondering if I could resit a single module (WJEC).

For 4/5 of the modules, I got an A, but for 1 module (Unit 3) I got a C and got taken down to a B by 4 marks. I was hoping if I could resit this single module to scrape up 4 marks to take me up to the A and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I'd like to add my degree is Biology, which is also the same subject the module belongs to if that helps!!

Thank you x

My understanding the last chance to resit legacy A level syllabus for Biology was 2017. Human Biology still has a resit for 2018.

Presumably you applied for special consideration at the time?

http://www.wjec.co.uk/RESIT%20OPPORTUNITIES%202018.pdf?language_id=1

Quick Reply

Latest