The Student Room Group

2017/18 A-Level Journey to A*A*A*!

(Credited Note: I was inspired by greentron6's A-Level Journey to do my own, he achieved A*AAA and going to Imperial to Biochemistry with German for Science and he was studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German. Credit to him as I followed his format and some sentences in this opener. I said I would do my own come the start of the new academic year and I just remembered an hour ago so I have to follow through.)

Edit: Short Intro:
This will also be a short blog about what's happening in terms of what work I'm doing, what I've done for the day and anything to do with UCAS.

Previous academic results: GCSE: 5As 5Bs; AS level: B in Maths (C1: A; C2: B; S1: B):unimpressed:
Current studying: AQA Biology, OCR A Chemistry, Edexcel Maths
My goals: Much less procrastination, following my routines for working for Year 13, and to aim for A*A*A inall three A-level subjects! However I essentially want AAA but you've gotta aim for the bullseye to get high scores.

Backstory info:
The majority of Year 12, I was also doing Physics but when I realised I wanted to Biochemistry at uni, I dropped the subject because I didn't need it. I was doing very well in it but time could have been used into other subjects.
Personal advice: Just do 3 A-Levels, I've seen it first hand and from other people as well.

Most Recent Mocks as of 11/10/2017:
Biology - 71% & 73% (based on last year's boundaries 67% is an A*)
Chemistry - A in A2, AS Papers: Breadth A, Depth B
Maths - B

UCAS Predictions: AAA

Uni Offers:
King's: AAB 17/11/2017
Bristol: AAA 28/11/2017
Birmingham: AAB, ABB If Firm 30/11/2017
Warwick: BBB 04/12/2017
Imperial: AAA 18/02/2017

However with hard work, determination and my vision of how to tackle Year 13, I believe I am capable of achieving A* across all my three subjects! Let’s do this!

:danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy:

Summer 2017: My summer has been very busy with a lot of summer schools, work experience, events etc. so my general revision plans for this year ****ed up.
Also I'm going over rewriting notes for AS Biology because I don't like my current ones.

General aim for the rest of 2017: To complete all notes and (most of) Neat Coloured Condensed Notes (NCCN) covering the whole specification for Biology and Chemistry & to cover C3 and C4 Mathematics.

Gotta go BEAST MODE.

(Hopefully, a few of you guys follow my journey and this motivates you to also achieve your goals!)
Edit: (Also available to answer any queries and discuss as well, sorta knowledgeable on the whole uni/UCAS business)
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I just got 3A*, around 2000, out of 200,000 students achieve it every year. So it's certainly hard and can be brutal at times. But it's definitely achievable and rewarding, Good luck!
I got 3 A*'s in maths, physics and biology! It is definitely manageable, just make sure you fully understand the concept for biology as the application is tough and do plenty of maths past papers!! :smile: Good luck
I will definitely be following this page!!! :biggrin:
Reply 4
31/08/2017 02:04 (for 30/08/2017):
No work done today, went into my sixth form for a few things to sort out as they were open for the Year 12 induction. Ended up at a friend's house having important discussions with him and his mother. Can't get too personal here.

However today marks the official status of me as a Year 13 student! Almost the end of the road of one journey and the prequel to a new journey!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Sounds like a good plan, one I might follow in year 12 😂
Original post by PeetaRJ
(Note: I was inspired by greentron6's A-Level Journey to do my own, he achieved A*AAA and going to Imperial to Biochemistry with German for Science and he was studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German. Credit to him as I followed his format and some sentences in this opener. I said I would do my own come the start of the new academic year and I just remembered an hour ago so I have to follow through.)

Previous academic results: GCSE: 5As 5Bs; AS level: B in Maths :unimpressed:
My goals: Much less procrastination, following my routines for working for Year 13, and to aim for A*A*A inall three A-level subjects! However I essentially want AAA but you've gotta aim for the bullseye to get high scores.

The majority of Year 12, I was also doing Physics but when I realised I wanted to Biochemistry at uni, I dropped the subject because I didn't need it. I was doing very well in it but time could have been used into other subjects.
Personal advice: Just do 3 A-Levels, I've seen it first hand from other people as well.

Edit: Full transparency: As of 29/08/2017 my most recent mocks for Biology and Chemistry were B and C respectively (2 stupid basic marks away from a B in both Chem exams) Sigh plus I had work experience during mocks so yeah if I had a few more days to go over it... HOWEVER my mocks before that were D & U as I was coasting through the year and Physics really took time out so I do think I found my mojo quite late into the year.

As of 29/08/2017, I'm looking to apply for Biochemistry at Imperial, Bristol, York, Birmingham and King's, offers ranging from AAA-ABB. Preferably Imperial and Bristol since the way UCAS offer system works and course content too.

However with hard work, determination and my vision of how to tackle Year 13, I believe I am capable of achieving A* across all my three subjects! Let’s do this!

:danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy:

General aim for the rest of 2017 is to complete all notes covering the whole specification for Biology and Chemistry & to cover C3 and C4 Mathematics.

My summer has been very busy with a lot of summer schools, work experience, events etc. so my general revision plans for this year ****ed up.
I'm going over rewriting notes for AS Biology because I don't like my current ones so hopefully I can finish that and hopefully start rolling through the start of the A2 content for all subjects within the next 6 days....

Gotta go BEAST MODE.

(Hopefully, a few of you guys follow my journey and this motivates you to also achieve your goals!)
Reply 6
Original post by 12KK
Sounds like a good plan, one I might follow in year 12 😂

Always open to provide any tips or advice!
Reply 7
Original post by PeetaRJ
Always open to provide any tips or advice!

Is A Level Biology hard? I mean, I got a B at GCSE, but was two marks off an A so might get it remarked 😂 🤷🏽*♀️
Original post by PoliticsandP
I just got 3A*, around 2000, out of 200,000 students achieve it every year. So it's certainly hard and can be brutal at times. But it's definitely achievable and rewarding, Good luck!

So you mean 1% of students get 3A* and the other 99% get A*A*A-UUU?
Reply 9
Original post by 12KK
Is A Level Biology hard? I mean, I got a B at GCSE, but was two marks off an A so might get it remarked 😂 🤷🏽*♀️

Detail. There's so much detail compared to GCSE. GCSE accomplishment means barely anything when it comes down to GCSE subject to A- Level subject. A*-B in Biology GCSE students will all be competing at the same level in Biology. All about the time you put in to first understand the topic and to apply your understanding.
Reply 10
Original post by PeetaRJ
Detail. There's so much detail compared to GCSE. GCSE accomplishment means barely anything when it comes down to GCSE subject to A- Level subject. A*-B in Biology GCSE students will all be competing at the same level in Biology. All about the time you put in to first understand the topic and to apply your understanding.

Oh ok thanks..! Tbh, Biology is my weakest A Level so I'm gonna try and work hard... 😶😬
Reply 11
Original post by 12KK
Oh ok thanks..! Tbh, Biology is my weakest A Level so I'm gonna try and work hard... 😶😬

Chemistry will be your weakest, homeboy. Be ready.
good luck man! are you applying to biochem as well?
Original post by PeetaRJ
(Note: I was inspired by greentron6's A-Level Journey to do my own, he achieved A*AAA and going to Imperial to Biochemistry with German for Science and he was studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German. Credit to him as I followed his format and some sentences in this opener. I said I would do my own come the start of the new academic year and I just remembered an hour ago so I have to follow through.)

Previous academic results: GCSE: 5As 5Bs; AS level: B in Maths :unimpressed:

Personal advice: Just do 3 A-Levels, I've seen it first hand from other people as well.

Edit: Full transparency: As of 29/08/2017 my most recent mocks for Biology and Chemistry were B and C respectively (2 stupid basic marks away from a B in both Chem exams) Sigh plus I had work experience during mocks so yeah if I had a few more days to go over it... HOWEVER my mocks before that were D & U as I was coasting through the year and Physics really took time out so I do think I found my mojo quite late into the year.

As of 29/08/2017, I'm looking to apply for Biochemistry at Imperial, Bristol, York, Birmingham and King's, offers ranging from AAA-ABB. Preferably Imperial and Bristol since the way UCAS offer system works and course content too.

General aim for the rest of 2017 is to complete all notes covering the whole specification for Biology and Chemistry & to cover C3 and C4 Mathematics.

My summer has been very busy with a lot of summer schools, work experience, events etc. so my general revision plans for this year ****ed up.
I'm going over rewriting notes for AS Biology because I don't like my current ones so hopefully I can finish that and hopefully start rolling through the start of the A2 content for all subjects within the next 6 days....

Gotta go BEAST MODE.

I hope this goes well for you! I'm going into year 13 too, good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by PeetaRJ
Chemistry will be your weakest, homeboy. Be ready.

Nah I'm not doing chemistry a level, that sounds way too hard for me... 😂 I'm doing Maths, Eng Lit, Business, Biology in year 12..
I love threads like this, it's sweet to watch the progress!
I watch your thread with anticipation! greentron's thread actually motivated me to recently make one for myself!
Original post by PeetaRJ

This is so true! I feel like the papers is very little biology and more interpreting results tables and graphs - how do you prepare for that?
Reply 17
Original post by 12KK
Nah I'm not doing chemistry a level, that sounds way too hard for me... 😂 I'm doing Maths, Eng Lit, Business, Biology in year 12..

Original post by larkspurs
I hope this goes well for you! I'm going into year 13 too, good luck!

Best wishes for you too!
Reply 18
Original post by 12KK

If you wanna do a Biosciences in uni, that chemistry is gonna help tremendously. Chemistry is tough but can definitely be worked on.

also 4 A-Levels😬Stay on top of that if you're sure
Reply 19
Original post by AryanGh
I love threads like this, it's sweet to watch the progress!
I watch your thread with anticipation! greentron's thread actually motivated me to recently make one for myself!

Thanks, post your thread here, I wanna follow that too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending