The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston University

Hello, I'm looking at applying for Aston University and have a few questions.

Firstly, I've heard that the student population is majority foreign students/multicultural students. This isn't an issue for me, I am just curious if it is really the case or just a rumour!

Also, what is the nightlife like? I know Birmingham is a good city to go out in, but in terms of the nightlife and parties on campus i.e. Student Union events, dorm parties, what is it like?

Is it an in-city campus or a self contained campus?

What are the student halls like to live in i.e. facilities, room standards, prices to rent etc. etc.

Thanks!
Original post by ochilderhouse
Hello, I'm looking at applying for Aston University and have a few questions.

Firstly, I've heard that the student population is majority foreign students/multicultural students. This isn't an issue for me, I am just curious if it is really the case or just a rumour!

Also, what is the nightlife like? I know Birmingham is a good city to go out in, but in terms of the nightlife and parties on campus i.e. Student Union events, dorm parties, what is it like?

What are the student halls like to live in i.e. facilities, room standards, prices to rent etc. etc.

Thanks!

Hi,

"Firstly, I've heard that the student population is majority foreign students/multicultural students."

This comes up alot for some reason, i'm not sure why people have this perception about Aston, but we have a diverse mix of students similar to a number of other universities. You'll meet students of all backgrounds from a number of countries, places in the UK and locals to the Birmingham area too.

"Also, what is the nightlife like? I know Birmingham is a good city to go out in, but in terms of the nightlife and parties on campus i.e. Student Union events, dorm parties, what is it like?"

From my time here as a student i had plenty of good nights out in Birmingham and Flat Parties galore. There was always stuff going on in The Union, but it wasn't really to my tastes. You should have the brand new students' union built too for whilst you're studying here, you should be one of the first to use it.

It's the best of both, it's a little bit out of the way of the city centre, so not many people unassociated with the university end up walking about on campus, but it's only a 10 minute walk right into the centre of Birmingham. You should come and visit at our next Open Day in October.

Hope that helps
Josh
(edited 6 years ago)
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

"Firstly, I've heard that the student population is majority foreign students/multicultural students."

This comes up alot for some reason, i'm not sure why people have this perception about Aston, but we have a diverse mix of students similar to a number of other universities. You'll meet students of all backgrounds from a number of countries, places in the UK and locals to the Birmingham area too.

"Also, what is the nightlife like? I know Birmingham is a good city to go out in, but in terms of the nightlife and parties on campus i.e. Student Union events, dorm parties, what is it like?"

From my time here as a student i had plenty of good nights out in Birmingham and Flat Parties galore. There was always stuff going on in The Union, but it wasn't really to my tastes. You should have the brand new students' union built too for whilst you're studying here, you should be one of the first to use it.

It's the best of both, it's a little bit out of the way of the city centre, so not many people unassociated with the university end up walking about on campus, but it's only a 10 minute walk right into the centre of Birmingham. You should come and visit at our next Open Day in October.

Hope that helps
Josh

Hi, when will the uni reopen? specifically for 1st years?
Original post by bhavyab02
Hi, when will the uni reopen? specifically for 1st years?

Hi there,

The term will start as planned for new students on 21 September 2020. For most students, this will be through a blended learning approach in which lectures will be delivered online until at least January 2021, and a number of small group learning sessions and activities held on campus.

*Ethel
Hi there,

The term will start as planned for new students on 21 September 2020. For most students, this will be through a blended learning approach in which lectures will be delivered online until at least January 2021, and a number of small group learning sessions and activities held on campus.

*Ethel

so does this mean I will need to get accommodation sorted now as not all of it is online? also I plan to take the autumn exams so how will this affect everything?

thanks again
Hi,

Hope that helps
Josh

Is the open day gonna be virtual or can we actually go there ourselves?
Original post by Reviser101
Is the open day gonna be virtual or can we actually go there ourselves?

Hi there,

Due to COVID-19 to keep everyone safe the University will be doing a virtual open day.

Virtual Open Days taking place on Saturday 3 October and Saturday 21 November. Just like a regular open day, this is your chance to learn more about your course, life as a student in Birmingham, and our campus and facilities. You will have the chance to:
attend interactive, live subject sessions led by lecturers
ask lecturers and current students questions about your course
learn about Aston life from our students
chat to our admissions and finance teams

I have attached a link below to pre-register your place at the virtual open day.

https://www2.aston.ac.uk/opendays/undergraduate

I hope this helps!

- Poppy

Quick Reply

Latest