The Student Room Group

Need Help Choosing A Levels QUICK!

So I recently had enrolment day and I picked
English Lang
Sociology
Psychology
And I really don't know if these are the right A levels, I'm just a really indecisive person, I picked English Lang in the last minute as I got a grade 7 for it but it is also my second language. I also heard that Psychology and Sociology are very soft subjects. I was originally thinking of choosing something science related like Biology but they would not let me on the course and so I thought about Biomedical science, and was thrown off it when I heard It was a btec. Now I'm contemplating swapping English Lang for Economics but I don't know if It's the right A level, I really need some personal feedback on some of the A levels because I dont think I have much time to change (college hasn't started yet).

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 31shotscrazy
English Lang
Sociology
Psychology
And I really don't know if these are the right A levels, I'm just a really indecisive person, I picked English Lang in the last minute as I got a grade 7 for it but it is also my second language. I also heard that Psychology and Sociology are very soft subjects. I was originally thinking of choosing something science related like Biology but they would not let me on the course and so I thought about Biomedical science, and was thrown off it when I heard It was a btec. Now I'm contemplating swapping English Lang for Economics but I don't know if It's the right A level, I really need some personal feedback on some of the A levels because I dont think I have much time to change (college hasn't started yet).

Which do you want to do? What will you enjoy?

Personally I love psych and truly there are no such things as soft subjects at A Levels. Nothing is easy.
Original post by larkspurs
Which do you want to do? What will you enjoy?

Personally I love psych and truly there are no such things as soft subjects at A Levels. Nothing is easy.

I like writing but not to the extent English lang provides, you do Psych? If so, with what?
Hi, for AS level i studied Politics, Business, Economics, History and English Literature so i dunno if i'm the best person to ask as most of my subjects are literature based. It really depends on what university course you intend on pursuing?
I loved English, politics, history and business but i struggled massively with economics simply due to being mathematically illiterate. It really boils down to what you feel you're strongest at and what you enjoy most!
I like writing but not to the extent English lang provides, you do Psych? If so, with what?

I do psych, history and classical civilisations! Psych doesn't really fit but I love it anyway.

I don't think you'd enjoy history or classics if you dislike essays though.

Heard good things about sociology in terms of how interesting it is but consider that it is generally agreed to be easier than psych.

Good luck!
I do psych, history and classical civilisations! Psych doesn't really fit but I love it anyway.

I don't think you'd enjoy history or classics if you dislike essays though.

Heard good things about sociology in terms of how interesting it is but consider that it is generally agreed to be easier than psych.

Good luck!

No don't get me wrong, I like writing and essays (to a certain extent) and thanks for the feedback I also have a great interest in psychology but have an urge to change the other two, sociology and English lang
Original post by connormc199
Hi, for AS level i studied Politics, Business, Economics, History and English Literature so i dunno if i'm the best person to ask as most of my subjects are literature based. It really depends on what university course you intend on pursuing?
I loved English, politics, history and business but i struggled massively with economics simply due to being mathematically illiterate. It really boils down to what you feel you're strongest at and what you enjoy most!

Does English Lit contain an obscene amount of reading?

not particularly, one prose and one drama text, then 24 poems!

Depends, my school's exam board has 8 books!
Do you have career prospect in mind or any idea of what you might want to do when you're older?

That might be a good start to figuring out what A-Levels you could do.
Original post by usfbullz
Do you have career prospect in mind or any idea of what you might want to do when you're older?

That might be a good start to figuring out what A-Levels you could do.

I really don't know
I really don't know

The subjects you picked, would you enjoy them? It is going to be tough after all.
Original post by connormc199

disagree, economics only got hard because of all the useless information they made us learn, which we didn't need
English Lang
Sociology
Psychology

what do you want to study in university, so that we can help you
If you're not sure about sociology, go for a facilitating? How are you at maths subjects? Also why weren't you allowed to pick bio?
Original post by artemis_sprds
what do you want to study in university, so that we can help you

I don't know :frown:(((
Original post by usfbullz
The subjects you picked, would you enjoy them? It is going to be tough after all.

I would definitely enjoy Psychology but not sure about the other two.
english psychology and sociology are very essay heavy subjects. if you are very good at writing essays and retaining alot of information then i think you have chosen the correct A-Levels. even if you got a 7 a GCSE it doesnt mean that you can't get an A* at A-level you might have just not performed aswell in your GCSE.

im not saying a 7 isnt good, it is very good as i am terribble at english. as i am a maths person, i chose mathematical subjects like:
further maths
maths
accounting
business studies (even though it is very much essay writing i didnt realise this)

you can still change your choices when you actually start college if you are not enjoying the ones that you have picked.
If you're not sure about sociology, go for a facilitating? How are you at maths subjects? Also why weren't you allowed to pick bio?

Cause I needed a 6 in math but got a 5
Cause I needed a 6 in math but got a 5

Oh, right. Thats a shame that you can't pick bio :/

Quick Reply

Latest