The Student Room Group

Do you talk to your parents about sex?

Poll

Would you talk to your parents about sex?

Back in 2010, a survey found that about half of 13-18 year olds around the UK want to talk to their parents about sex.

It's 7 years on. Has much changed?

Would you, or do you, talk to your parents about sex?

If not, why?

If you're thinking about whether you're ready for sex, or if you're unsure, have a read of OnePlusOne's advice in the LoveSmart tool.

Scroll to see replies

I don't just talk the talk I walk the walk.
Reply 2
much to awkward of a subject to talk about with my parents :blushing:and I highly doubt they'd approve.. I'm glad I don't have to
Reply 3
Original post by BlinkyBill
Back in 2010, a survey found that about half of 13-18 year olds around the UK want to talk to their parents about sex.

If not, why?

If you're thinking about whether you're ready for sex, or if you're unsure, have a read of OnePlusOne's advice in the LoveSmart tool.

Yes. My parents talk to me about safe sex and even offer to buy me condoms etc. I haven't had sex yet but I have a very strong relationship with my parents and I can happily talk to them about sexual matters.
Reply 4
Original post by BlinkyBill

If not, why?

My parents and I have always been open about sex, with the exception that I don't inform them when I'm going to get some (which TBF hasn't happened in years) or when I'm going to masturbate. I don't expect them to inform me of these things either.
No I don't. Because they are grandparents.
My parents are kinda conservative and sex-shy. They're prude and it's so lame (like, my mum would even blush at a menstruation conversation. It would frustrate me so much), so since I was like 14, I've been making the occasional sex joke around my mum so she'd stop being so pathetic and immature, in hopes she would grow up and be prepared to have actual adult conversations with her daughter. It's working, I guess.
Original post by orderofthelotus
My parents are kinda conservative and sex-shy. They're prude and it's so lame (like, my mum would even blush at a menstruation conversation. It would frustrate me so much), so since I was like 14, I've been making the occasional sex joke around my mum so she'd stop being so pathetic and immature, in hopes she would grow up and be prepared to have actual adult conversations with her daughter. It's working, I guess.

Can you ask her advice about contraception (even if you don't need information) just to signal that you're ready to talk about it even if she isn't?
Reply 8
Original post by dlaws.
much to awkward of a subject to talk about with my parents :blushing:and I highly doubt they'd approve.. I'm glad I don't have to

Pretty much the same for me. I never talk to my parents about sex and relationships, far too conservative
Original post by DrSocSciences
Can you ask her advice about contraception (even if you don't need information) just to signal that you're ready to talk about it even if she isn't?

Considering my family's heritage, contraception is a bit far. I don't think I'll ever get to that level. It's already an achievement for me to have had her warm up to conversations about menstruation and jokes about things that show up in my biology textbooks.
Original post by orderofthelotus
Considering my family's heritage, contraception is a bit far. I don't think I'll ever get to that level. It's already an achievement for me to have had her warm up to conversations about menstruation and jokes about things that show up in my biology textbooks.

O wow, in my heritage, that kind of conversation is normal mother-daughter stuff at an appropriate age, and actually really connecting.
with the internet there's really no need for your parents, everything you could ever need to know/more than what your parents know about it is online.
My mum has always found it too awkward and never spoke to me about any of it. Everything I learned, I learned from other places
Reply 13
I don't think I'm even allowed to breathe that word. Asian parents :colonhash:
I never did as I didn't need or want to. My mum knew I was having sex in the house though and didn't care, so I suppose it was a fairly relaxed household in that respect.
Lol no way I'd get jumped
Recently found out she didn't really care as long as I was safe. Didn't really wanna talk about it though.
I'm fine talking to my mum about anything sexual, always have been. She's more like my sister and very laid back and liberal so it's never been embarrassing or an issue to talk about anything like that in front of her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i used to talk to my mum about it when i was a virgin

now i'm such a hoe she asks me questions about sex...
Since my parents believe a woman should only have sex after she's married, I've never spoken to them about it. My parents are so conservative and religious that when I was a kid, my mum used to go through science / anatomy textbooks that were in the house and rip out or scribble out any illustrations of the human body, she used to tell me to shower / have baths with my underwear on, and even stopped me having karate lessons and riding bikes after the age of 10 for fear of my hymen breaking :lol:
Sex is a massive taboo subject with my parents. Any display or discussion of female sexuality is considered "shameful" and "undignified".

Joke's on her, as I have a boyfriend...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending