The Student Room Group

Are these good A Levels to take?

I plan on studying geography, sociology, psychology and maybe Welsh Lit/Lang at A-level. Are these good subjects to take?
Original post by foxesarecool
I plan on studying geography, sociology, psychology and maybe Welsh Lit/Lang at A-level. Are these good subjects to take?

Yes, of course - do they allow you entry onto your chosen degree course(s)?
Original post by Cubone-r
Yes, of course - do they allow you entry onto your chosen degree course(s)?

I'm still unsure about what I want to do at uni - aaaa!

You will struggle to apply for science degrees (i.e. physics, biology, and chemistry); however, you can still apply for psychology, humanities/the social sciences and arts subjects.

As long as you're not interested in any of the "pure" sciences these are good options.
Original post by Cubone-r
You will struggle to apply for science degrees (i.e. physics, biology, and chemistry); however, you can still apply for psychology, humanities/the social sciences and arts subjects.

As long as you're not interested in any of the "pure" sciences these are good options.

I'm nowhere near smart enough to apply for "pure" science subjects unfortunately, lol! I was considering biology in order to keep my options open, but I just know I'll struggle far too much, and I only got a B in it at GCSE.
I'm nowhere near smart enough to apply for "pure" science subjects unfortunately, lol! I was considering biology in order to keep my options open, but I just know I'll struggle far too much, and I only got a B in it at GCSE.

In that case your A level choices are perfectly acceptable for the humanities and social sciences.

Why the rush to decide on what to study at uni? You've got loads of time left! Pick the A Level subjects you like and enjoy :smile:
Original post by Mystelle
Why the rush to decide on what to study at uni? You've got loads of time left! Pick the A Level subjects you like and enjoy :smile:

It's not so much that I'm in a rush to decide, It's more just me wanting to be organised and able to plan my future lol. Like, I'd like to have some sort of goal to keep me motivated and working towards. Plus, I'd hate to figure out what I want to study at uni when It's too late and I haven't chosen the right A-levels for that specific course.
It's not so much that I'm in a rush to decide, It's more just me wanting to be organised and able to plan my future lol. Like, I'd like to have some sort of goal to keep me motivated and working towards. Plus, I'd hate to figure out what I want to study at uni when It's too late and I haven't chosen the right A-levels for that specific course.

That's totally understandable, I always like to plan out my future too - what A Level grades I want to aim to achieve, which university I want to study at, what career I want to go in to... so what do you want to study at university? Based on your A Level options, if you do well you should be fine with any social sciences, humanities or art subjects :smile:
That's totally understandable, I always like to plan out my future too - what A Level grades I want to aim to achieve, which university I want to study at, what career I want to go in to... so what do you want to study at university? Based on your A Level options, if you do well you should be fine with any social sciences, humanities or art subjects :smile:

Okay great, thanks! Do you think I'd be fine with doing law with those subjects?
Okay great, thanks! Do you think I'd be fine with doing law with those subjects?

Law is a highly competitive course - I'd maybe go with English Literature instead of Welsh Lit/Lang, just because it's more respected by universities. If not, as long as you excel in the 4 subjects you chose, you will stand a very good chance of being accepted onto the course :smile:
Law is a highly competitive course - I'd maybe go with English Literature instead of Welsh Lit/Lang, just because it's more respected by universities. If not, as long as you excel in the 4 subjects you chose, you will stand a very good chance of being accepted onto the course :smile:

Yeah, the problem is, English Lit clashes with psychology at my school, which means I wouldn't be able to take both, and I really love psychology. Isn't Welsh Lit/Lang just the Welsh equivalent of English Literature, anyway?
Yeah, the problem is, English Lit clashes with psychology at my school, which means I wouldn't be able to take both, and I really love psychology. Isn't Welsh Lit/Lang just the Welsh equivalent of English Literature, anyway?

Um.... I have never heard of Welsh Literature to be honest, so I'm not sure what it is. Essay subjects such as English Literature or History are very useful in general. What about Psychology, Sociology, History and Geography?
Um.... I have never heard of Welsh Literature to be honest, so I'm not sure what it is. Essay subjects such as English Literature or History are very useful in general. What about Psychology, Sociology, History and Geography?

Well, Welsh Lit is definitely essay based. Welsh Lit is pretty self explanatory really, Welsh Literature, lol. You'd study Welsh Literature if you're fluent in Welsh and go to a Welsh school.

And, I didn't study History at GCSE so I'm not really sure if History would be a good idea for me at A-level.
Well, Welsh Lit is definitely essay based. Welsh Lit is pretty self explanatory really, Welsh Literature, lol. You'd study Welsh Literature if you're fluent in Welsh and go to a Welsh school.

And, I didn't study History at GCSE so I'm not really sure if History would be a good idea for me at A-level.

Oh right okay. Sorry if I'm sounding a bit stupid lol. So it's been decided - Geography, Psychology, Sociology and Welsh Literature. You're all set then :smile:
Oh right okay. Sorry if I'm sounding a bit stupid lol. So it's been decided - Geography, Psychology, Sociology and Welsh Literature. You're all set then :smile:

Ahhh I'm still not sure lol. Do you think I'd be able to cope with History after not doing it for GCSE?
Ahhh I'm still not sure lol. Do you think I'd be able to cope with History after not doing it for GCSE?

It is possible, and a lot of people have said that GCSE History hasn't helped much or helped at all - it just gives you a foundation to how you approach the questions. You'll find that lots of other students in your class won't have taken GCSE History either, so they also won't have the prior knowledge that you don't have. It depends really - you have to be committed to the subject. Are you genuinely interested inHhistory?
It is possible, and a lot of people have said that GCSE History hasn't helped much or helped at all - it just gives you a foundation to how you approach the questions. You'll find that lots of other students in your class won't have taken GCSE History either, so they also won't have the prior knowledge that you don't have. It depends really - you have to be committed to the subject. Are you genuinely interested inHhistory?

Ahhh I'm really unsure about what to do, and we have to choose our subjects on Tuesday! I am interested in History, yes. And I definitely regret not taking it at GCSE, especially since writing and essay based subjects are definitely a strength of mine.
Ahhh I'm really unsure about what to do, and we have to choose our subjects on Tuesday! I am interested in History, yes. And I definitely regret not taking it at GCSE, especially since writing and essay based subjects are definitely a strength of mine.

Then you should definitely go for it! History is highly respected by top universities, and Sociology goes well with it too. Don't worry if you're new to the subject, A Levels are very different to GCSEs anyway. :smile:
Then you should definitely go for it! History is highly respected by top universities, and Sociology goes well with it too. Don't worry if you're new to the subject, A Levels are very different to GCSEs anyway. :smile:

What would I even take History in place of though?? Ahhh.

Quick Reply

Latest