The Student Room Group

Can i sit maths a-level in one year - new course beginning 2017

Like the title says I want to sit A-level maths in the first year..... Can someone please explain to me the new A-level structure.... I am so confused. My school says there is only A-levels but when i go online at edexcel i see AS and A-level maths????????
Original post by warheadburial05
Like the title says I want to sit A-level maths in the first year..... Can someone please explain to me the new A-level structure.... I am so confused. My school says there is only A-levels but when i go online at edexcel i see AS and A-level maths????????

dont listen to me

Your A2 exams are the only ones that count. AS exams mean nothing for final grade. But are used for predicted grades so you still need to do good.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2

Yes you can, assuming your school teaches the course in this way or if you are self-teaching.

AS Level exams can be taken by students but they aren't compulary. They examine material covered in the first year of the A Level course. AS Levels are completely separate to A Levels so if you were to take AS Level exams then the marks you get do not count towards the A Level.

This is all explained here. Let us know if you have any further questions.
Reply 3
Original post by bobwibbles
I am thinking you will have to do all of them in the 2nd year. Your not allowed to complete the full A level a year early.
This was possible with the now old spec maths.

Structure is
AS year sit 2 papers Pure Maths which is c1 and c2 and Stats and mechanics paper.
Then A2 year Sit 3 papers Pure maths 1 which is c1 and c2 then Pure maths 2 which is c3 and c4 then stats and mechanics paper
(Edexcel exam board)

For A Level maths it will be possible to do it all in 2018. It has been designed this way so that schools can teach maths in the first year and Further Maths in the second year, if they choose to do it that way.
Reply 4
>Can I sit maths a-level in one year - new course beginning 2017.
Yes you can sit the new Maths A Level in Summer 2018 (that's what I'll be doing), this option is designed for people who'll be doing the full further maths a level in the second year, but really anyone can do it
>Can someone please explain to me the new A-level structure
You can sit the AS or A Level in summer 2018, summer 2019 and beyond. But the AS doesn't count towards the A Level. If you want to have an A Level, you need to sit all the exams in one year. You can't sit AS in one year, and then A2 in the next year like you could before.
>My school says there is only A-levels but when i go online at edexcel i see AS and A-level maths
There are both AS and A Levels but some schools choose to not offer any AS exams, because they don't count to the A Level and are only for a stand alone AS qualification.
Original post by Notnek
For A Level maths it will be possible to do it all in 2018. It has been designed this way so that schools can teach maths in the first year and Further Maths in the second year, if they choose to do it that way.

Ahh ok makes sense that is actually quite smart.

Sorry for the incorrect guidance OP.
Original post by Notnek
Yes you can, assuming your school teaches the course in this way or if you are self-teaching.

AS Level exams can be taken by students but they aren't compulary. They examine material covered in the first year of the A Level course. AS Levels are completely separate to A Levels so if you were to take AS Level exams then the marks you get do not count towards the A Level.

This is all explained here. Let us know if you have any further questions.

So I will be starting the A-level 2017 new spec maths course, can i sit the entire a-level course in one year, doing the 3 papers c1, c2 and stats and mechanics and focus on the other subjects in the next two years?
Reply 7
So I will be starting the A-level 2017 new spec maths course, can i sit the entire a-level course in one year, doing the 3 papers c1, c2 and stats and mechanics and focus on the other subjects in the next two years?

Yes as I said in my last post, you can do all of the exams in 2018. Are you self-teaching?

C1 and C2 by the way are the names of the AS Level modules in the current modular spec - the new linear spec won't use these names. For Edexcel for example, the two pure papers will probably be known as P1 and P2 or maybe just Paper 1 and Paper 2.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
Yes as I said in my last post, you can do all of the exams in 2018. Are you self-teaching?

C1 and C2 by the way are the names of the AS Level modules in the current modular spec - the new linear spec won't use these names. For Edexcel for example, the two pure papers will probably be known as P1 and P2 or maybe just Paper 1 and Paper 2.

hey im planning on taking the exams in one year so june 2018 and i am self teaching. do you have any advice and also do you know how if there are any exam centers that have this option of taking the new spec in 2018 (cant find any)?

Quick Reply

Latest