The Student Room Group

Why did I not get an A*

I got 91 in C3 and 89 in C4, but I only gotvan A on my results certificate.Have Edexcel made a mistake?
It would have to be an A* or a B-it can't be an A due to the rules of A-level maths.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Could you post a picture of your results slip (with your personal information blanked out)?
I might be wrong but I thought you had to get 90 UMS and C3 AND C4 (not an average of 90) for the A*? So you were theoretically 1 mark off due to 89 in C4?
Original post by An-Lushan
I got 91 in C3 and 89 in C4, but I only gotvan A on my results certificate.Have Edexcel made a mistake?
It would have to be an A* or a B-it can't be an A due to the rules of A-level maths.

EDIT: Ignore this, it's not right.

To get an A* in A level maths both C3 and C4 need to be 90 or above, so it's your C4 mark letting you down.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sindyscape62
To get an A* in A level maths both C3 and C4 need to be 90 or above, so it's your C4 mark letting you down.

According to Edexcel, you need 90% of the total UMS marks, i.e. 180 out of 200 UMS across C3 and C4:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-your-results-information-for-students/edexcel-a-level-results-explained.html#main_accordion_0_entries_accordionentry_0_762581951
Reply 6
Original post by sindyscape62

I've just had a kook on edexcel's website C3 and C4 need to average at 180 ums.
Reply 7
I took 9 math modules this year by the way as I did further maths in a single year.Could Edexcel have combined my units incorrectly?

Sorry, you're right, I've edited the post.
Reply 9
Original post by spectral_theory
Could you post a picture of your results slip (with your personal information blanked out)?

I'll get a photocopy from my school later-I had to send of my other results to my clearing choice.
I took 9 math modules this year by the way as I did further maths in a single year.Could Edexcel have combined my units incorrectly?

What were your module results, and overall UMS for Maths and Further Maths, according to your results slip?

You are right, if you got 180 combined (91+89) then it's impossible for you to get an A, so speak with your teacher or exams officer.

Would you be happy to post all of your module marks? It might be helpful.

That sounds strange - as someone has said could you upload your results slip. The rule [once total UMS are 480 or more] is an average of 90UMS in C3 and C4 which you have.
Reply 14
Original post by spectral_theory
What were your module results, and overall UMS for Maths and Further Maths, according to your results slip?

I don't have my results on me, vut for normal maths it was 243 ums at AS,+ 89+91+around 75 ums for my M2.
Further maths was M3, M4,M5,FP1,FP2 and FP3.
Reply 15
I got around 390 ums for further maths-damn you M5 letting me down
Reply 16
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
You are right, if you got 180 combined (91+89) then it's impossible for you to get an A, so speak with your teacher or exams officer.

Why did my maths teachers not tell me about this, though?I even told them on results day but they ignored me.I was browsing here last night when I realised they're wrong.
Reply 17
For further maths I think it was 87FP1, 78 FP2, 70 FP3, 67M3 ,70 M4, 48M5
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
That sounds strange - as someone has said could you upload your results slip. The rule [once total UMS are 480 or more] is an average of 90UMS in C3 and C4 which you have.

I had to send my results slip to my clearing choice by post-I don't have a photocopier at home.I'll go to my school later and pick them up again.
I had to send my results slip to my clearing choice by post-I don't have a photocopier at home.I'll go to my school later and pick them up again.

Let us know - were any of the modules retaken this year?

Quick Reply

Latest