The Student Room Group

Breach of Equalities Act - Justification?

With the exception of health and safety, does anyone know of any situation when an organisation can justify not carrying out reasonable adjustments? I'm currently having this argument with my council. It has taken them almost 2 years to come up with an excuse (money and lack of demand, basically) as to why they won't send me letters in large print.
Reply 1
Original post by Tiger Rag
With the exception of health and safety, does anyone know of any situation when an organisation can justify not carrying out reasonable adjustments? I'm currently having this argument with my council. It has taken them almost 2 years to come up with an excuse (money and lack of demand, basically) as to why they won't send me letters in large print.

Can't advise on the specifics, but perhaps a letter to your MP might help them "review their position"?

Other than that, if you've followed your request through to the completion of your council's official complaints process and you aren't satisfied at the outcome, then you can escalate it to the Local Government Ombudsman.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Can't advise on the specifics, but perhaps a letter to your MP might help them "review their position"?

Other than that, if you've followed your request through to the completion of your council's official complaints process and you aren't satisfied at the outcome, then you can escalate it to the Local Government Ombudsman.

I've not involved my MP. But he rather useless when it comes to disability issues.

I did complain after being promised this for months on end. They've told alternative formats can only be done if being reviewed by an assessor, in which case it can be copied to Microsoft Word. They then told me to sign up to their online services and print off my own copies.
Reply 3
I've not involved my MP. But he rather useless when it comes to disability issues.

I did complain after being promised this for months on end. They've told alternative formats can only be done if being reviewed by an assessor, in which case it can be copied to Microsoft Word. They then told me to sign up to their online services and print off my own copies.

Having worked in local government, every council is obliged to have a formal complaints process, which includes set deadlines for responses. Every complaint is formally recorded and responded to. Complaints reach a higher level than the departmental staff with whom you may have been involved to date. If you aren't satisfied with the eventual outcome, you can escalate the complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. Doing this makes it more likely to generate adverse press interest, which is a good motivator for the council.
Reply 4
This still hasn't been sorted...

They've sent me a letter in large print, which shows they can do it. They appear to just choose not to. They completely ignored the email I sent to them which was a template letter the RNIB sent me.

They did send me a letter on Saturday in standard size print and some horrible font which I can just about read. (but the type of visual impairment I have, makes it difficult to read) I spoke to someone this morning who claims it will be sorted. I know it won't. They say this every single time and it never happens.

I've complained again and emailed both my MP and RNIB to see what they have to say about this.
Reply 5
This still hasn't been sorted...

They've sent me a letter in large print, which shows they can do it. They appear to just choose not to. They completely ignored the email I sent to them which was a template letter the RNIB sent me.

They did send me a letter on Saturday in standard size print and some horrible font which I can just about read. (but the type of visual impairment I have, makes it difficult to read) I spoke to someone this morning who claims it will be sorted. I know it won't. They say this every single time and it never happens.

I've complained again and emailed both my MP and RNIB to see what they have to say about this.

Have you followed the council's formal complaints process?
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
Have you followed the council's formal complaints process?

Yes. Put in another complaint yesterday. No doubt it'll be the same excuses of it costing them money, which having done some digging around, you can only claim if it means you wouldn't be making a profit. (or, rather, would be making a major loss)
Reply 7
Sorted, finally, I think. Utterly ridiculous that I had to get my MP involved, complain twice and have to whinge at them numerous times (and point out every single time about eh law) before someone finally got their arse into gear.
Wow, sending letters in large print really is not a huge demand at all! It takes like two seconds. What's their excuse?

A company can refuse an applicant if they have good reason for not being able to make adjustments; if the adjustments are simply not possible within the company. If you're diagnosed during employment, then they should make adjustments but if it's not possible, then they can refuse. But increasing text size is very possible!

Reply 9
Original post by hannxm
Wow, sending letters in large print really is not a huge demand at all! It takes like two seconds. What's their excuse?

They claimed there isn't enough demand and it costs them too money. Isn't it most odd that I can phone anyone else up and ask for the same service and am granted it?

It's not my problem that there aren't enough people wanting this service, nor is it my problem that it costs them money.
They claimed there isn't enough demand and it costs them too money. Isn't it most odd that I can phone anyone else up and ask for the same service and am granted it?

It's not my problem that there aren't enough people wanting this service, nor is it my problem that it costs them money.

I really don't see how it would cost them that much more money. It may increase the amount of paper used, but it's just for you so it's not like they're doing it for a bunch of people and using up lots of paper! I think you should speak to someone legally about this; I'm sure they'd be on your side because the company is being ridiculous. Larger print is a lot easier and cheaper than maybe installing a wheelchair ramp or changing someone's role in work.
Reply 11
Original post by hannxm
I really don't see how it would cost them that much more money. It may increase the amount of paper used, but it's just for you so it's not like they're doing it for a bunch of people and using up lots of paper! I think you should speak to someone legally about this; I'm sure they'd be on your side because the company is being ridiculous. Larger print is a lot easier and cheaper than maybe installing a wheelchair ramp or changing someone's role in work.

It's sorted for now. I hope. They completely ignored the email I sent them from RNIB, ignored both complaints and only agreed to do something when my MP got involved.
I find using twitter works with politicians and fast.
Reply 13
Still not sorted. Oh what a surprise. Not.

I've emailed them again and I know I'm just going to be met with some ******** about the lack of demand and the supposed amount of money it costs. But one of their departments doesn't have the same issue.
The equality act applies so I would start quoting it.it unlikely adjustment costing less than many £1000,s would be considered unreasonably .
Reply 15
Original post by Petetyerman
The equality act applies so I would start quoting it.it unlikely adjustment costing less than many £1000,s would be considered unreasonably .

Whenever I've quoted that, they've ignored it.

They've just told me some crap about the software doesn't allow them to print things out in large print. But apparently, they can't stop the software printing the letters out. If I want the letters in large print, I have to ask every year. I have better things to do with my time than email someone every year and tell them I need a letter in the a format I can read.

Quick Reply

Latest