The Student Room Group

Economics at University?

So I'm pretty sure that I'd like to study economics at university and was aiming to apply to universities like UCL, Queen Mary but I ended up getting a D in AS maths so now I pretty much don't have a shot right? But I ended up with an A in Economics and History and a B in psychology. Are there any good or decent universities for econ that I have a chance of getting into with these grades even if my maths grade is quite poor? I can retake next year but i don't know if i'll be able to improve . If not, shall I just drop maths and keep psychology and go to a good uni that doesn't need maths a level?
The top ranked economics courses (Warwick, Nottingham etc) will require a high grade in A level maths and the courses have a high level of mathematical analysis. Others don't require A level maths. Birmingham (entry AAA) and Loughborough (AAB) don't require it. That said, I know the Birmingham course does contain alot of maths and most students have A level maths to grade A, but certainly not all. As a general rule, degree level economics contains much more maths that A level economics so a good maths GCSE will always be expected. Some unis offer two entry options - a BA for those without A level maths and a BSc for those with it. Sheffield offers a BA and BSc economics degree, with the BA not requiring A level maths (AAB entry I think). Leicester BA (entry ABB) also does not require A level maths. The maths content is different to reflect your entry capability. It is worth researching the different unis as they do have different approaches and different maths content. Have a look at the Complete Uni Guide economics league table and then research the individual courses on their websites. Also don't hesitate to call the economics admissions at a uni for advice on their specific course. Another option is to look at joint degrees, such as Economics and Business so you are not quite as focused on the pure economics. As to whether you should drop maths - its difficult to say - if you think you can substantially raise your grade, then resit and stick with it, but if not, go for the subjects you enjoy and will get the best grades in - you'll have to make this call. Perhaps your teachers can advise you.
Original post by Michimimi
So I'm pretty sure that I'd like to study economics at university and was aiming to apply to universities like UCL, Queen Mary but I ended up getting a D in AS maths so now I pretty much don't have a shot right? But I ended up with an A in Economics and History and a B in psychology. Are there any good or decent universities for econ that I have a chance of getting into with these grades even if my maths grade is quite poor? I can retake next year but i don't know if i'll be able to improve . If not, shall I just drop maths and keep psychology and go to a good uni that doesn't need maths a level?

Hi Michimimi,

Firstly to say is that I totally get your situation, in my AS levels I got a D in English Language but with a bit of hard work and determination I managed to turn that D into a B at A-level.

Have you considered studying Economics at NTU? We don’t ask for A-Level Maths as we ask for GCSE Maths grade B or above. As well as this, we’re proud to say that 100% of students were satisfied with their course when studying Economics. (National Student Survey 2017)

The Economics course is based at our Nottingham Business School on city campus. We have a lot to shout about when it comes to teaching excellence, especially our business school. Nottingham Business School has gained AACSB accreditation, which means that it is in the top 5% of business schools worldwide. As a university, NTU has been awarded the Gold Award for Teaching Excellence.

In your third year, you'll have an opportunity to take a year-long, full-time placement. The university has great links with many companies and recent destinations have included Lloyds Banking Group, Capita and PGRX.

Have you been to an open day yet? We have an open day on Saturday 7th October where you can talk to academic staff and current students. On the day there will also be subject talks, tours of the facilities and the campus and a chance to talk to our Accommodation Team.

If you want to find out more about the day and reserve your place, here’s the link!

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions don’t hesitate to ask :smile:

Chris- NTU Rep
The University of Nottingham does not require A Level Maths.

I got an A grade in GCSE Maths but didnt want to continue on to A Level.

I did Economics, Business and Financial Studies - getting A*AA and I'm now about to study Economics at Uni of Nottingham
Original post by Mancmike300
The top ranked economics courses (Warwick, Nottingham etc) will require a high grade in A level maths and the courses have a high level of mathematical analysis. Others don't require A level maths. Birmingham (entry AAA) and Loughborough (AAB) don't require it. That said, I know the Birmingham course does contain alot of maths and most students have A level maths to grade A, but certainly not all. As a general rule, degree level economics contains much more maths that A level economics so a good maths GCSE will always be expected. Some unis offer two entry options - a BA for those without A level maths and a BSc for those with it. Sheffield offers a BA and BSc economics degree, with the BA not requiring A level maths (AAB entry I think). Leicester BA (entry ABB) also does not require A level maths. The maths content is different to reflect your entry capability. It is worth researching the different unis as they do have different approaches and different maths content. Have a look at the Complete Uni Guide economics league table and then research the individual courses on their websites. Also don't hesitate to call the economics admissions at a uni for advice on their specific course. Another option is to look at joint degrees, such as Economics and Business so you are not quite as focused on the pure economics. As to whether you should drop maths - its difficult to say - if you think you can substantially raise your grade, then resit and stick with it, but if not, go for the subjects you enjoy and will get the best grades in - you'll have to make this call. Perhaps your teachers can advise you.

As a later poster has noted, correcting my comment above, Nottingham Uni also offers two economics courses, one for those with A level maths and one not requiring it.
Reply 5
Original post by mattymoo432

I did Economics, Business and Financial Studies - getting A*AA and I'm now about to study Economics at Uni of Nottingham

Your subjects overlap so much - how did you even get in?
Original post by Yoyoyo4
Your subjects overlap so much - how did you even get in?

You'd be surprised. Content between all three of them is very different.

Also I had a good GCSE score.

Remember pick what you enjoy with your A Levels
Reply 7
Original post by mattymoo432
You'd be surprised. Content between all three of them is very different.

Also I had a good GCSE score.

Remember pick what you enjoy with your A Levels

Is it really that different though? You hardly had the stresses of A2 compared to those who took on a mix of humanities/stem or a solid focus of one.

Not trying to hate, but I just don't feel like those who take on such overlapping subjects deserve merit. Good on you though for getting in.
Original post by Yoyoyo4
Is it really that different though? You hardly had the stresses of A2 compared to those who took on a mix of humanities/stem or a solid focus of one.

Not trying to hate, but I just don't feel like those who take on such overlapping subjects deserve merit. Good on you though for getting in.

Just proves too many students pick a wide range of subjects which is unnecessary
Reply 9
Original post by username2837176

Hiii!! I'm planning to study economics at nottingham but i recently took a look at the econometrics, the maths and stats used in economics and got a shock. Its really a lot of maths and idk (don't think) i can excel in it. Do u mind sharing if the maths in nottingham economics was very tough? What percentage of the course was maths/stats? :frown:( i took a level maths but only got a D

Quick Reply

Latest