The Student Room Group

What is best time to start past papers

Hi ,
I am going in year 13 after holidays . can some one tell what is the best time for starting past papers AS SOON AS POSSIBLE OR MONTHE BEFORE exams
and secondly, how can i revise my AS with A2.....

Edit: I study biology, chemistry, maths
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Qer
Hi ,
I am going in year 13 after holidays . can some one tell what is the best time for starting past papers AS SOON AS POSSIBLE OR MONTHE BEFORE exams

For biology I had gone over 98% of the content by March. From March till exams I did a mixture of past papers and reading of my notes. It worked for me
Original post by Qer
Hi ,

February/ march.
Reply 3
And how to revise As content
Reply 4
Original post by Qer
And how to revise As content

do you have the 2017 paper for as physics?
Reply 5
Original post by usf99
do you have the 2017 paper for as physics?

nope . i don't study physics
Original post by SGHD26716
For biology I had gone over 98% of the content by March. From March till exams I did a mixture of past papers and reading of my notes. It worked for me

What did you get?x
Reply 7
Original post by sunshine774
What did you get?x

For biology? A*
For biology? A*

Wow well done so amazing!!!x:h: I do chem any tips please? (Going into year 13!) I got an A at AS!
Reply 9
Wow well done so amazing!!!x:h: I do chem any tips please? (Going into year 13!) I got an A at AS!

Thanks. I did chemistry as well.

For chemistry I went chapter by chapter making extremely concise notes. Past papers are extremely useful as there's only so much they can ask. Past papers were my main revision tool for chemistry.

For chemistry I went chapter by chapter making extremely concise notes. Past papers are extremely useful as there's only so much they can ask. Past papers were my main revision tool for chemistry.

Did you get an A* for chem too?x:smile: Which past papers did you use because you guys were the first yr of the new spec right?x
Reply 11
Honestly I'd start past papers as early as possible given that you've gone over the entire syllabus. I would, however, start past paper by QUESTIONS on certain topics once you've mastered them and gone over most/all of their textbook questions. These are easily found on physicsandmathstutor.
Reply 12
Did you get an A* for chem too?x:smile: Which past papers did you use because you guys were the first yr of the new spec right?x

No I got an A for chemistry.

I used the old spec past papers. Chemistry questions are very similar to current spec questions. The change doesn't seem to be that big for chemistry if I'm honest, especially at A2. I did OCR by the way. I don't know if this counts for other exam boards.
Reply 13

so , doing past papers are the main thing for revision?

and should me know required practicals in details?

i am doing biology , chemistry , maths
(edited 6 years ago)
No I got an A for chemistry.

I used the old spec past papers. Chemistry questions are very similar to current spec questions. The change doesn't seem to be that big for chemistry if I'm honest, especially at A2. I did OCR by the way. I don't know if this counts for other exam boards.

Well done;I do OCR A. I'm a bit worried about the new spec so I hope it's similar!x:redface:
Reply 15
Original post by Qer
so , doing past papers are the main thing for revision?

i am doing biology , chemistry , maths

Pretty much. I did the same subjects with also further maths.

They kind of make sure you actually have remembered the content and you aren't tricking yourself into believing you know it. Also, markscheme answers give you an idea of what examiners are actually looking for and key words etc which ensure you get marks.

I didn't do past papers at AS as I was lazy and got BB in biology and chemistry. I improved after doing past papers.

This isn't neccessary. I had gone over 0% at the start of March but got an A* in OCR Biology too
Also I didn't do a single past paper. I just learnt every markscheme from 2001-2016. Didn't actually ever sit down and answer a single question myself. So you could get away with doing none really.
Reply 18
Well done;I do OCR A. I'm a bit worried about the new spec so I hope it's similar!x:redface:

The physical and organic papers are pretty similar.
Reply 19
Original post by SpidgetFinner
This isn't neccessary. I had gone over 0% at the start of March but got an A* in OCR Biology too

Well done.

I'm not saying it's necessary; it's just what I did.

Quick Reply

Latest